Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Dynamically changing environment variable Post 302960119 by cjcox on Tuesday 10th of November 2015 05:56:56 PM
Old 11-10-2015
Love to hear from the OP.

However, as an Oracle user, I think the idea is switch SIDs without having to source in oraenv.

In other words, making switching SIDs easier.

Why switch SIDs? Maybe you have more than one instance? It's an ok use case thing.

If switching SIDs is just something done from inside of a script, I'd just set my ORACLE_SID and source in oraenv.sh, done.... but there could still be a desire for something better than this.

Imagine if ORACLE_SID could be a path. Then the SID could be the basename and the other ORACLE elements could be folders (or symlinks) off that ORACLE_SID path if env vars aren't specified, etc... just an idea. And certainly not something I expect Oracle to do.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

dynamically creating a variable name

Hi ! I have the following situation - ##First variable variableA=JOB_A ##bunch of other variable JOB_A_RESTART=cleanupJobA JOB_B_RESTART=cleanupJobB JOB_C_RESTART=cleanupJobC now i need a script which would - 1. take the first variable 2. create a new variable name... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hsahay
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing environment variables

hi friends, i'm new to shell scripting,can i know how to change the environment variables without altering anythng in .bash_profile as the change in it is for a specific user but i want the change to be available to every user who logs in. bye. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amit4g
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a dynamically changing file and load into Oracle?

I have a tab delimited file which has 27 character fields. The file needs to be loaded into an Oracle table. But the challenge is that everytime the file comes it may or may not have values in all 27 fields. Column Definition of the 27 fields: TYPE: Char (1) NAME: Char (30) CUSTOM_VAL: Char... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding string variable dynamically in for loop

Hi, I need to generate the text name dynamically in for loop, ex, VAR_COPY_FILE1= file path 1 VAR_COPY_FILE2= file path 2 VAR_COPY_FILE3= file path 3 for i in 1 2 3 do if then "do some process here" fi done (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: msubash26
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expand an environment variable in sed, when the variable contains a slash

I'm trying to make a sed substitution where the substitution pattern is an environment variable to be expanded, but the variable contains a "slash". sed -e 's/<HOME_DIRECTORY>/'$HOME'/'This gives me the following error: sed: -e expression #1, char 21: unknown option to `s'Obviously this is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ilja
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH - Reference external variable name dynamically

Hi there, I have included an external properties file into my BASH script via the 'source' command. I am attempting to dynamically assign a variable in the BASH script, that references the variable name within the external properties file i.e. #!/bin/bash pth=${0%/*} source... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjwoodford
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

Changing Desktop Environment by mistake

Hi, I'm using fedora 15, my defualt DE is XFCE I once saw that there is a option in startup DE's that I can select and it was OPENBOX. I just wanted to test it. but after choosing it as my DE here I am. I have just access to terminal, firefox.. what's in my desktop. there is no panel here. I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoseinit
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamically setting of environment variable... Can it be done?

Hi all, I am fairly new to unix scripting and will like to know how to dynamically set the name of an environment variable to be used. We have a .env file where we defined the names and locations of data files, trigger files, directories .... etc Example of variables defined in .env... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Morelia
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a dynamically changing file

I want to read a constantly changing file and do some operation on text found in that file. Actually that is log file of linux system and whenever i find a matching string in that file i want to create a text file with timestamp. is it possible to read that file? here is sample output of log... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashif.live
7 Replies
UCF.CONF(5)						      Debian GNU/Linux manual						       UCF.CONF(5)

NAME
ucf.conf - site-wide configuration file for ucf SYNOPSIS
/etc/ucf.conf DESCRIPTION
The file /etc/ucf.conf is actually a Bourne Shell snippet included during the package build process, and hence you may put any shell direc- tive in that file (just make very sure you know what you are doing). All the variables have reasonable default values, and some may be overridden on a per run or a per individual basis by using environment variables, and all configurable variables can be overridden by options to the scripts themselves. The value of a variable can be set so: a) Defaults exist in the rules file. These are the values used if no customization is done. b) Some variables can be set in the config file /etc/ucf.conf. These values override the defaults. c) Some variables can also be set by setting a corresponding environment variable. These values override the config file and the defaults. d) Using script command line options. All configurable variables may be set by this method, and will override the other methods above. Configuration File options At the moment, the user modifiable variables supported are: DEBUG Debugging information: The default value is 0 (no debugging information is printed). To enable debugging output, set the value to 1. VERBOSE Verbosity: The default value is 0 (quiet). To change the default behavior, set the value to 1. conf_force_conffold Force the installed file to be retained. The default is to have this variable unset, which makes the script ask in case of doubt. This can be overridden by the environment variable UCF_FORCE_CONFFOLD conf_force_conffnew Force the installed file to be overridden. The default is to have this variable unset, which makes the script ask in case of doubt. This can be overridden by the environment variable UCF_FORCE_CONFFNEW conf_source_dir This is the directory where the historical md5sums for a file are looked for. Specifically, the historical md5sums are looked for in either the file ${filename}.md5sum, or the subdirectory ${filename}.md5sum.d/ conf_old_mdsum_file Force the historical md5sums to be read from this file, rather than defaulting to living in the source directory. Set- ting this option overrides settings in the environment variable UCF_OLD_MDSUM_FILE Files System-wide defaults are placed in /etc/ucf.conf, SEE ALSO
ucf(1), BUGS
There are no bugs. Any resemblance thereof is delirium. Really. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Debian Feb 12 2002 UCF.CONF(5)