Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to search and replace string from nth column from a file? Post 302960063 by looney on Tuesday 10th of November 2015 11:14:51 AM
Old 11-10-2015
Hi Amit,
what does awk -v stands for it.?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search and replace string only in a particular column in a delimited file

I have file with multiple columns. Column values for a record may be same. Now i have to replace a column value(this can be same for the other columns) with new value. File.txt A,B,C,D,A,B,C,D,A,B,C,D A,B,C,D,A,B,C,D,A,B,C,D A,B,C,D,A,B,C,D,A,B,C,D A,B,C,D,A,B,C,D,A,B,C,D... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ksailesh
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search a string in the file and then replace another string after that position

Hi I am looking for a particular string in a file.If the string exists, then I want to replace another string with some other text.Once replaced, search for the same text after that character position in the file. :wall: E.g: Actual File content: Hello Name: Nitin Raj Welcome to Unix... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashing201
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace the nth column date as MM/DD/YYYY

Hi, I need some unix command to replace the following thing. cat test.dat 1234|test|8/19/2009|8/20/2009|test 1234|test|8/9/2009|8/21/2009|test 1234|test|8/1/2009|8/2/2009|test after processing 1234|test|08/19/2009|08/20/2009|test 1234|test|08/09/2009|08/21/2009|test... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anshaa
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to search for specific line and replace nth column

I need to be able to search for a string in the first column and if that string exists than replace the nth column with "-9.99". AW12000012012 2.38 1.51 3.01 1.66 0.90 0.91 1.22 0.82 0.57 1.67 2.31 3.63 0.00 AW12000012013 1.52 0.90 1.20 1.34 1.21 0.67 ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search and replace string in column in file with command sed?

how to search and replace string in column in file with command sed or other search "INC0000003.in" and replace column 4 = "W" $ cat file.txt INC0000001.in|20150120|Y|N|N INC0000002.in|20150120|Y|N|N INC0000003.in|20150120|Y|N|N INC0000004.in|20150120|Y|N|Noutput... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppmanja3
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a string,delete the line and replace with new string in a file

Hi Everyone, I have a requirement in ksh where i have a set of files in a directory. I need to search each and every file if a particular string is present in the file, delete that line and replace that line with another string expression in the same file. I am very new to unix. Kindly help... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradhikshan
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk search and replace nth column by using a variable.

I am passing a variable and replace nth value with the variable. I tried using many options in awk command but unable to ignore the special characters in the output and also unable to pass the actual value. Input : "1","2","3" Output : "1","1000","3" TempVal=`echo 1000` Cat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: onesuri
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search term in nth field and replace kth column

Hi, I have a text file which looks like this a.txt A,12,Apple,Red B,33,Banana,Yellow C,66,Sky,Blue I need to search for a particular field(s) in particular column(s) and for that matching line need to replace the nth column. Sample scenario 1: Search for 66 in second field and Sky in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wahi80
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace Value of nth Column of Each Line Using Array

Hello All, I am writing a shell script with following requirement: 1. I have one input file as below CHE01,A,MSC,INO CHE02,B,NST,INC CHE03,C,STM,INP 2. In shell script I have predefined array as below: Array1={A, B, C} Array2= {U09, C04, A054} (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search partial string in a file and replace the string - UNIX

I have the below string which i need to compare with a file and replace this string in the file which matches closely. Can anyone help me on this. string(Scenario 1)- user::r--,user::ourfrd:r-- String(Scenario 2)- user::r-- File **** # file: /local/Desktop/myfile # owner: me # group:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarathy_a35
6 Replies
AUSEARCH_ADD_ITEM(3)						  Linux Audit API					      AUSEARCH_ADD_ITEM(3)

NAME
ausearch_add_item - build up search rule SYNOPSIS
#include <auparse.h> int ausearch_add_item(auparse_state_t *au, const char *field, const char *op, const char *value, ausearch_rule_t how); DESCRIPTION
ausearch_add_item adds one search condition to the current audit search expression. The search conditions can then be used to scan logs, files, or buffers for something of interest. The field value is the field name that the value will be checked for. The op variable describes what kind of check is to be done. Legal op values are: exists just check that a field name exists = locate the field name and check that the value associated with it is equal to the value given in this rule. != locate the field name and check that the value associated with it is NOT equal to the value given in this rule. The value parameter is compared to the uninterpreted field value. The how value determines how this search condition will affect the existing search expression if one is already defined. The possible val- ues are: AUSEARCH_RULE_CLEAR Clear the current search expression, if any, and use only this search condition. AUSEARCH_RULE_OR If a search expression E is already configured, replace it by (E || this_search_condition). AUSEARCH_RULE_AND If a search expression E is already configured, replace it by (E && this_search_condition). RETURN VALUE
Returns -1 if an error occurs; otherwise, 0 for success. SEE ALSO
ausearch_add_expression(3), ausearch_add_interpreted_item(3), ausearch_add_timestamp_item(3), ausearch_add_regex(3), ausearch_set_stop(3), ausearch_clear(3), ausearch_next_event(3), ausearch-expression(5). AUTHOR
Steve Grubb Red Hat Nov 2007 AUSEARCH_ADD_ITEM(3)