Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting In Vi "sed" substitute word on a specific line Post 302960007 by pimmit22043 on Monday 9th of November 2015 11:43:37 AM
Old 11-09-2015
Code In Vi "sed" substitute word on a specific line

i need to substitute word on a specific line.
I was able to do it on command line like below but it is not working in vi.
command line like below:
Code:
sed -e '8s/table_name/schema.table_name/' file_name.

in vi table_name and schema are my positional parameters that i pass into the
script.

here is what i have in my script.

Code:
Sed -e '8s/$table_name/$schema.$table_name/' file_name > file_new

Thank you
PT.

Last edited by pimmit22043; 11-09-2015 at 01:19 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed substitute / for \ : error "Function can not be parsed"

Hello all, I have a weird issue when trying to substitute the slashes into backslashes. If I execute this on the command-line (bash / ksh) I get the path correctly translated with backslashes instead of slashes. > echo $PWD | sed 's/\//\\/g' However, when I put this in my script to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: candyflip2000
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can "sed" substitute word on a specific line?

Hello experts, I know line number of the word I want to replace. Can "sed" substitute word on a specific line? As well, can sed substitute words inside a specific patten. ex. <word>lalala</word> #replace anything between <word> and </word> minifish (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: minifish
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to substitute "\" by "\/" using SED?

Input: a/b/c Output required: a\/b\/c This does not work: sed s/'\/'/'\//'/g (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: indianjassi
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat $como_file | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g'

hi All, cat file_name | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g' Can this be done by using sed or awk alone (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshakusam
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I grep with sed and substitute a "#" on that line

Hey all, I am trying to disable a certain cronjob before I run a backup. I want to be able to add/remove a "#" from the beginning on the crontab line it is located on. Here is the crontab: 46 11 * * * /etc/webmin/cron/tempdelete.pl @daily /etc/webmin/time/sync.pl */5 * * * *... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eg mike
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to remove a string

logs: "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to get the following result: abc abc xyz xyz xyz (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add the word "prefix" to beginning of line using sed

SUSE linux bash shell this works test -d /tmpp && echo "directory exists" || echo "directory doesn't exists" |sed -e "s/^/prefix /" prefix directory doesn't exists but why doesn't this work? test -d /tmp && echo "directory exists" || echo "directory doesn't exists" |sed -e... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: snoman1
3 Replies