Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Help Interrupting Sparc 5 Boot Post 302959762 by MungoJerry on Thursday 5th of November 2015 08:32:00 PM
Old 11-05-2015
Help Interrupting Sparc 5 Boot

For the life of me I cannot figure out how to interrupt the boot of my Sparc 5 via a serial terminal. I am sending breaks from the terminal (minicom) like crazy during startup yet the system is hell-bent on booting up UNIX like the reliable beast it always has been. I also inserted my Solaris CD, which I thought was bootable but to no avail. The CD is titled Solaris 2.6 Hardware: 3/98 Software.

Below are the startup messages - if I understand correctly I should be able to send a break before the "Boot device" appears in order to get to a > or ok prompt. I've not booted it in 8 years, have forgotten the login and I simply want to wipe and reinstall the OS and I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

Code:
SPARCstation 5, No Keyboard
ROM Rev. 2.15, 192 MB memory installed, Serial #7556283.
Ethernet address 8:0:20:4a:3c:43, Host ID: 80443c43.

Boot device: /iommu/sbus/espdma@5,8400000/esp@5,8800000/sd@3,0  File and args:
SunOS Release 5.5.1 Version Generic [UNIX(R) System V Release 4.0]
Copyright (c) 1983-1996, Sun Microsystems, Inc.
configuring network interfaces: le0.
Hostname: soitgoes
The / file system (/dev/rdsk/c0t3d0s0) is being checked.
/dev/rdsk/c0t3d0s0: 1294 files, 11313 used, 2414 free
/dev/rdsk/c0t3d0s0: (70 frags, 293 blocks,  0.5% fragmentation)
Configuring GAD devices

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New Sparc box wont boot. Keyboard?

Do I HAVE to have a Sun Sparc type keyboard? Ive got an Ultra Sparc workstation I got from EBAY that was supposted to be working. This box has a PS2 AND Sparc's odd looking keyboard port. Does my system have a switch in the BIOS simmilar to the x86 "Halt on keyboard error?" ...Or maybe a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Curt
5 Replies

2. Solaris

Boot problem with SUN Sparc

Newbie question. I've been running OpenSolaris on an Intel box for some time with great success. I have just bought an old Sun Blade workstation with a corrupted version of Solaris 5 something on it. The plan was to install OpenSolaris on it. However beyond my skills, I see, as no Live CD (or... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewtargett
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interrupting script while execution

Hi, I have a script "a.sh", when the script is running user should not be able to interrupt the script execution.If user tries I need to throw an error. Please help in this. Thanks Satya (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Satyak
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Sun Sparc Ultra 4 won't boot - disk errors

Hi all. I am seeing in one of our less-used servers that it crashed and now won't restart. I get the message 'continue with normal startup or boot into maintenance mode'. I go into maintenance and run fsck on /usr0 (mentioned in error at restart) it then reboots but goes right back to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_collins
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can I emulate solaris/sparc on virtualbox? Or other emulator to run solaris for sparc in my win7 PC?

Hi Gurus can I emulate solaris/sparc on virtualbox? Or other emulator to run solaris for sparc in my win7 PC? regards, Israel. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: iga3725
9 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris SPARC boot error

Hi Admins, When i tried to boot the system from ALOM console i am getting below error and not sure what caused this error. Btw the machine is running on Solaris SPARC 10. Can you shed some light on this? {b} ok boot -sv SC Alert: Host System has Reset SC Alert: Host system has... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: prash358
23 Replies

7. Solaris

T2000 Sparc server fails boot

I have a T2000 enterprise SPARC server that's no longer on contract with Oracle. It's on old firmware (6.3.x). After a power-down this weekend, it won't boot normally. Boot snapshot at the bottom of the post. It can boot to cdrom, and it'll boot to failsafe mode, but it won't do a regular... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: val riverwalk
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

SPARC T4-1 "ERROR: boot-read fail"

Either I try to boot from USB bootable drive or from a bootable dvdrom, I am receiving a message ERROR: boot-read fail {0} ok probe-scsi-all This command may hang the system if a Stop-A or halt command has been executed. Please type reset-all to reset the system before executing this... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: z_haseeb
18 Replies