Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Domain registrars & DNS servers Post 302959579 by cjcox on Wednesday 4th of November 2015 03:33:04 PM
Old 11-04-2015
Think of nameservers as something different (but not necessarily) from your domain.

It's the DNS that holds the zone data for your somedomain.com. To make that official as far as the Internet goes that's why they are asking where your records go... that is what nameservers house the records.

Anymore unless the company is sizable, I chose to use a world wide redundant DNS service (multiple DNS servers with redundance) to house records for a domain (e.g. DNSMadeEasy for example). But as I alluded to earlier you can certainly host your own DNS server(s) (they like for you to have more than one if possible).

When DNS queries are made, ulimately thigns work from the root server down to the tld's etc... and along those paths, your case .com knows who (what DNS servers) stands authoritative for somedomain.com.

With that said, you or anyone else can choose to point to a DNS that "says" it stands authoritative for records for whoever (somedomain.com, mil.gov, etc)... if if that is your DNS that your pointing to you'll get back whatever name to IP (etc) that you have defined there.

Hope that wasn't too confusing.

Maybe another example. The Whitepages is a phone book. I could print my own phone book and change anyone's phone number I want. But this doesn't work at large because chances are people are using the official whitepages and not my hacked up copy.
This User Gave Thanks to cjcox For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Dns Servers

My only question is Can we have two auteritative Name servers for a single domain? Just a question. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vjm
1 Replies

2. Solaris

change dns (domain name)

hi gurus, need to check other than the hosts file, what else i need to change after we have changed the domain name in our company. currently, we are using olddnsname.com and will change it to newdnsname.com. i am not sure where else in solaris i need to take a look. please advise. thank... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kim_custodio
4 Replies

3. IP Networking

Select DNS Servers depending on the domain

Hello, I'm using CentOS 5.3, and I connect to a VPN in order to work. The problem is that I'm constantly accessing things on the local network and the remote network. But once I'm connected to the VPN I can't access local addresses by name, I have to use the ip-address. What I'd like is to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: martincastell
4 Replies

4. Linux

Configuring dns in local domain

Hi everybody, for revolving local host name of my network, I set up an dns server to solve my problem, but til now, nothing happen when I ping a hostname, but work on IP. Can you help me to correct the configuration. Here is all my settings: Voici mes fichiers de configuration: -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beloge2002
2 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Stop samba from querying trusted domain servers

Hi, We've got a samba server running in our DMZ. Our users drag & drop files on it for vendors. Everything was working perfectly until the powers that be decided to build a trust between a couple of internal domains. Samba is now querying each server in the trust. When a user browses... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mph
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

DHCP & DNS - Clients get IP but don't register in DNS

I am trying to setup a CentOS 6.2 server that will be doing 3 things DHCP, DNS & Samba for a very small office (2 users). The idea being this will replace a very old Win2k server. The users are all windows based clients so only the server will be Linux based. I've installed CentOS 6.2 with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: FireBIade
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to flush specific domain in SunOS 5 DNS

Hello to all, May you help saying me how to flush a specific domain in Linux SunOS5 I know the command rndc is to flush DNS cache, but I would like to know: 1- How to do a flush only on specific domain 2- How to see the content of DNS Resolver cache (similar to info given by IPCONFIG... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Changing hosting company for one domain, how to deal with DNS?

Hello, Our organization is planning to move one domain from Dreamhost to Hubspot. Lets say, it is gem.xyxyxyxyx.com. Please note, website is not being migrated from one server to another, it is just hosting company. Here is from our internal DNS master server - # cat... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Linux is not appending domain name in DNS query

In my /etc/resolv.conf file there is domain name defined. But when I do nslookup the domain name is not appended. Why? (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: broy32000
18 Replies
dns(n)								 Tnm Tcl Extension							    dns(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
dns - Query the Domain Name System of the Internet. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The dns command allows to query the Internet Domain Name System (DNS) (RFC 1034, RFC 1035, RFC 974, RFC 1912) for host information. The main purpose of this command is to convert host names into IP addresses and vice versa. The dns command also allows to retrieve host infor- mation records as well as mail exchanger records. DNS COMMAND
dns [options] Invoking the dns command with options but without any command arguments allows to retrieve and change the default values. See the description of supported options below. Default values are bound to a Tcl interpreter which allows to have multiple Tcl interpreter with different defaults. dns [options] address host The dns address command sends a query to retrieve the address record for the specified host. The command returns the list of IP addresses for the given host name. dns [options] name address The dns name command sends a query to retrieve the domain name pointer record. A pointer record maps an IP address to a fully quali- fied domain name (FQDN). The command returns the fully qualified domain name for the given IP address. dns [options] hinfo name The dns hinfo command sends a query to retrieve the host information record. The command returns a list containing two elements. The first element describes the hardware type and the second element the operating system. dns [options] mx name The dns mx command sends a query to retrieve the mail exchanger record. The command returns a list of mail exchanger records if name is a domain name for which one or more MX records exist. Each element of this list contains a full qualified domain name (FQDN) and its priority. dns [options] soa name The dns soa command sends a query to retrieve the start of authority record for a DNS domain. The command returns the name of the authoritative DNS server of the DNS domain name. DNS OPTIONS
-server server The -server option defines the DNS server which will be used to process the request. The default value is the default DNS server configured on the local system. -timeout time The -timeout option defines the time the dns command will wait for a response. The time is defined in seconds with a default of 2 seconds. -retries number The -retries option defines how many times a request is retransmitted during the timeout interval. The default number of retries is 2. Please note, that many resolver double the last timeout after every retry. SEE ALSO
scotty(1), Tnm(n), Tcl(n) AUTHORS
Erik Schoenfelder <schoenfr@gaertner.de> Juergen Schoenwaelder <schoenw@cs.utwente.nl> Tnm dns(n)