Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Printing multiple lines on the same line between specific text Post 302959548 by kieranfoley on Wednesday 4th of November 2015 10:58:49 AM
Old 11-04-2015
Printing multiple lines on the same line between specific text

This is an extract from a large file. The lines that start with fc are ports on a fabric switch. In between each fc port there is information about the port.

Code:
fc2/12 is up
    Port description is SEIEDISCOVER-3
    Speed is 4 Gbps
fc2/13 is down (Administratively down)
fc2/14 is up
    Port description is SEIEADB51
    Speed is 4 Gbps
fc1/6 is down (Link failure or not-connected)
    Port description is SEIDEVAS18
fc2/15 is up
    Port description is UCS02-POD1-A 4/5
    Speed is 8 Gbps
    Belongs to port-channel 3

I want to be able to be able to print certain pieces of information for every fc port on the same line. So I would like the output to look like this. If a port is down then I want to skip to the next port that is up.

Code:
fc2/12 SEIEDISCOVER-3 4GB
fc2/14 SEIEADB51 4GB
fc2/15 UCS02-POD1-A 4/5 8GB port-channel 3

Is there a way to do this using awk? I appreciate any help on this.

---------- Post updated at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:59 PM ----------

I have figured this out from looking at other posts.

Code:
awk 'NF&&$1=RS$1'  RS="fc"

get me everything in one line in between each fc and from this I am able filter out the info I need.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing lines with specific awk NF

I have this files: ./frm/lf_mt1_cd.Ic_cell_template.attr ./die/addgen_tb_pumd.Ic_cell_template.attr ./min_m1_n.Ic_cell_template.attr When I use: awk -F\/ '{print NF}' Would result to: 3 3 2 I would like to list the files with 3 fields on it. Any Suggestions? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jehrome_rando
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace specific text line out of multiple occurance

Hi I would like to replace specific line eg ExitAction = NONE to ExitAction = FALSE under only TASK sipsiproc and other ExitAction = NONE will remain as usual in the file(shell script) The file contains: TASK rgcdproc { CommandLine = $SSHOME/bin/rgcd.exe NewConsole... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhusmita
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract the lines between specific line number from a text file

Hi I want to extract certain text between two line numbers like 23234234324 and 54446655567567 How do I do this with a simple sed or awk command? Thank you. ---------- Post updated at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:55 PM ---------- found it: sed -n '#1,#2p'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: return_user
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash help]Adding multiple lines of text into a specific spot into a text file

I am attempting to insert multiple lines of text into a specific place in a text file based on the lines above or below it. For example, Here is a portion of a zone file. IN NS ns1.domain.tld. IN NS ns2.domain.tld. IN ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdn_humbucker
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing several lines of a file after a specific expression

Hello, I want to print a number of lines of a file after a specific expression of a line. I have this sed command but it prints only 1 line after the expression. How could I adapt it to print for instance 10 lines after or 15 lines after ? sed -n '/regexp/{n;p;}' Thx & Regs, Rany. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rany1
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing all lines before a specific string and a custom message 2 lines after

Hello all, I need to print all the lines before a specific string and print a custom message 2 lines after that. So far I have managed to print everything up the string, inclusively, but I can't figure out how to print the 2 lines after that and the custom message. My code thus far is:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SEinT
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to Insert values in multiple lines(records) within a pipe delimited text file in specific cols

this is Korn shell unix. The scenario is I have a pipe delimited text file which needs to be customized. say for example,I have a pipe delimited text file with 15 columns(| delimited) and 200 rows. currently the 11th and 12th column has null values for all the records(there are other null columns... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasan2815
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine multiple unique lines from event log text file into one line, use PERL or AWK?

I can't decide if I should use AWK or PERL after pouring over these forums for hours today I decided I'd post something and see if I couldn't get some advice. I've got a text file full of hundreds of events in this format: Record Number : 1 Records in Seq : ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mayday22
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printing lines with specific strings at specific columns

Hi I have a file which is tab-delimited. Now, I'd like to print the lines which have "chr6" string in both first and second columns. Could anybody help? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_bahreini
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines above and below specific line of text

I'm trying to remove a specific number of lines, above and below a specific line of text, highlighted in red: <STMTTRN> <TRNTYPE>CREDIT <DTPOSTED>20151205000001 <TRNAMT>10 <FITID>667800001 <CHECKNUM>667800001 <MEMO>BALANCE </STMTTRN> <STMTTRN> <TRNTYPE>DEBIT <DTPOSTED>20151207000001... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bomsom
8 Replies
IBCHECKPORTSTATE(8)						OpenIB Diagnostics					       IBCHECKPORTSTATE(8)

NAME
ibcheckportstate - validate IB port for LinkUp and not Active state SYNOPSIS
ibcheckportstate [-h] [-v] [-N | -nocolor] [-G] [-C ca_name] [-P ca_port] [-t(imeout) timeout_ms] <lid|guid> <port> DESCRIPTION
Check connectivity and check the specified port for proper port state (Active) and port physical state (LinkUp). Port address is a lid unless -G option is used to specify a GUID address. OPTIONS
-G use GUID address argument. In most cases, it is the Port GUID. Example: "0x08f1040023" -v increase the verbosity level -N | -nocolor use mono rather than color mode -C <ca_name> use the specified ca_name. -P <ca_port> use the specified ca_port. -t <timeout_ms> override the default timeout for the solicited mads. EXAMPLE
ibcheckportstate 2 3 # check lid 2 port 3 SEE ALSO
smpquery(8), ibaddr(8) AUTHOR
Hal Rosenstock <halr@voltaire.com> OpenIB May 21, 2007 IBCHECKPORTSTATE(8)