Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Disk /dev/sdb doesn't contain a valid partition table Post 302959490 by purushottamaher on Tuesday 3rd of November 2015 01:35:01 PM
Old 11-03-2015
Disk /dev/sdb doesn't contain a valid partition table

Hello,

I have rebooted the RHEL VM but after rebooting the vm it not showing all the partition mounted on OS level, if i'll execute the fdisk -l command, then i'm able to see the same disk. below is the fdisk output :

Code:
[root@Test-Server ~]# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 107.6 GB, 107639996416 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 13086 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *           1        7605    61079104   83  Linux
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda2            7605        8910    10482432   82  Linux swap / Solaris
Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.

Disk /dev/sdb: 161.0 GB, 161061273600 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19581 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Disk /dev/sdb doesn't contain a valid partition table

Kindly help on the same.

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 11-03-2015 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: code tags for data as well

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Ran out of space on /dev/root partition

hi, I have a SCO unix server which has a 36gb hard drive, but the IT company who supplied it assigned 1gb to /dev/root, 15mb to /dev/boot and 33gb to /dev/u. The /dev/root partition is now full, is there a way I can use the 33gb assigned to /dev/u without loosing any data, preferably... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Martyn
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

resizing the partition table

Host 1 ------- Part Tag Flag Cylinders Size Blocks 0 root wm 0 - 1911 18.56GB (1912/0/0) 38913024 1 swap wu 1912 - 5434 34.19GB (3523/0/0) 71700096 2 backup wm 0 - 14086 136.71GB ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriny
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove /dev/sdb partition using fdisk - BY ACCIDENT!

Hello everyone - Please forgive me if I violate the forum's etiquette as this is my very first post. I'm posting this on both the dummies and the advance section with the hope for any responses. I stumbled on this forum while frantically looking for an answer to a dumb, ignorant thing I did... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevindoman
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Remove /dev/sdb partition using fdisk - BY ACCIDENT!

Hello everyone - Please forgive me if I violate the forum's etiquette as this is my very first post. I'm posting this on both the dummies and the advance section with the hope for any responses. I stumbled on this forum while frantically looking for an answer to a dumb, ignorant thing I did... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevindoman
5 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Does /dev/ttyUSB* causing my usb 3G Dongle doesn't work when plug-in

Hi, Is someone knows how or maybe the caused why my USB 3G dongle doesn't work when plug-in after boot the /dev/ttyUSB* I wonder how this /dev/ttyUSB1-4 works, i had a 3G USB dongle for my internet connection before i used lucyd lynx this the same USB dongle works fine when i plug-in after... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
2 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Creating a hidden partition that doesn't mount automatically

I have a drive full of diagnostic images (ASD), and I also use it for storage, installers, etc. When I plug it in to a booted system, it has to mount every single volume (about 25) which can take some time. I would like to keep all the ASD partitions from mounting when plugged in/at boot. I know... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nextyoyoma
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

USB HDD not showing valid partition on one Solaris machine

Hi All, We have got a USB HDD with important data in it. The data has been copied to the disk(formatted ext3) via a LINUX system. The data was supposed to be copied to a second LINUX machine. Surprisingly, it doesn't show up any valid partitions in the new box. dmesg: usb1-3:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bikash Mishra
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

This doesn't look like a partition table Probably you selected the wrong device.

Hi, I need to mount the device from this device # fdisk -l . . . Disk /dev/sdas: 2000.4 GB, 2000365289472 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 243197 cylinders Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes I/O size... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: justbow
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add nodev for /dev/shm partition in Linux using shell script?

Hi, Please guide me how to add nodev option for /dev/shm partition. I am new to scripting and looking to do via command line. Thanks Litu (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Litu1988
13 Replies

10. Red Hat

Changing grub from /dev/sda to /dev/sdb

Hi, Please suggest steps to change grub from /dev/sda to /dev/sdb, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies
PARTX(8)                                                       System Administration                                                      PARTX(8)

NAME
partx - tell the kernel about the presence and numbering of on-disk partitions SYNOPSIS
partx [-a|-d|-P|-r|-s|-u] [-t type] [-n M:N] [-] disk partx [-a|-d|-P|-r|-s|-u] [-t type] partition [disk] DESCRIPTION
Given a device or disk-image, partx tries to parse the partition table and list its contents. It can also tell the kernel to add or remove partitions from its bookkeeping. The disk argument is optional when a partition argument is provided. To force scanning a partition as if it were a whole disk (for example to list nested subpartitions), use the argument "-" (hyphen-minus). For example: partx --show - /dev/sda3 This will see sda3 as a whole-disk rather than as a partition. partx is not an fdisk program - adding and removing partitions does not change the disk, it just tells the kernel about the presence and numbering of on-disk partitions. OPTIONS
-a, --add Add the specified partitions, or read the disk and add all partitions. -b, --bytes Print the SIZE column in bytes rather than in human-readable format. -d, --delete Delete the specified partitions or all partitions. -g, --noheadings Do not print a header line with --show or --raw. -l, --list List the partitions. Note that all numbers are in 512-byte sectors. This output format is DEPRECATED in favour of --show. Do not use it in newly written scripts. -n, --nr M:N Specify the range of partitions. For backward compatibility also the format M-N is supported. The range may contain negative num- bers, for example --nr -1:-1 means the last partition, and --nr -2:-1 means the last two partitions. Supported range specifications are: M Specifies just one partition (e.g. --nr 3). M: Specifies the lower limit only (e.g. --nr 2:). :N Specifies the upper limit only (e.g. --nr :4). M:N Specifies the lower and upper limits (e.g. --nr 2:4). -o, --output list Define the output columns to use for --show, --pairs and --raw output. If no output arrangement is specified, then a default set is used. Use --help to get list of all supported columns. This option cannot be combined with the --add, --delete, --update or --list options. -P, --pairs List the partitions using the KEY="value" format. -r, --raw List the partitions using the raw output format. -s, --show List the partitions. The output columns can be selected and rearranged with the --output option. All numbers (except SIZE) are in 512-byte sectors. -t, --type type Specify the partition table type. --list-types List supported partition types and exit. -u, --update Update the specified partitions. -S, --sector-size size Overwrite default sector size. -v, --verbose Verbose mode. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. EXAMPLES
partx --show /dev/sdb3 partx --show --nr 3 /dev/sdb partx --show /dev/sdb3 /dev/sdb All three commands list partition 3 of /dev/sdb. partx --show - /dev/sdb3 Lists all subpartitions on /dev/sdb3 (the device is used as whole-disk). partx -o START -g --nr 5 /dev/sdb Prints the start sector of partition 5 on /dev/sdb without header. partx -o SECTORS,SIZE /dev/sda5 /dev/sda Lists the length in sectors and human-readable size of partition 5 on /dev/sda. partx --add --nr 3:5 /dev/sdd Adds all available partitions from 3 to 5 (inclusive) on /dev/sdd. partx -d --nr :-1 /dev/sdd Removes the last partition on /dev/sdd. SEE ALSO
addpart(8), delpart(8), fdisk(8), parted(8), partprobe(8) AUTHORS
Davidlohr Bueso <dave@gnu.org> Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> The original version was written by Andries E. Brouwer <aeb@cwi.nl>. ENVIRONMENT
LIBBLKID_DEBUG=all enables libblkid debug output. AVAILABILITY
The partx command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux December 2014 PARTX(8)