Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Alias is not working under Bourne Shell Post 302959424 by RudiC on Monday 2nd of November 2015 01:24:14 PM
Old 11-02-2015
The first you seem to run unser sh, the second under bash. What be the results of alias HC in either?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bourne shell not working

This code has worked for years and still does in my production environment. But it's failing in my development environment now. The cd works but the creation of node1, jnum, and node2 fails. Oddly the output shows a line from from the awk script at the end of the code during the setting of each... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gillbates
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne: How to invoke an alias from within a shell script

Bourne: How to invoke an alias from within a shell script If I type in the alias in the command line, it runs If I insert that same alias into my shell script and run the shell script, the alias is not invoked. Help please. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: techshots
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alias not working in scripts

Hi All, PF below details, > cat run.sh #!/usr/bin/ksh alias ll="ls -l" > ./run.sh > ll ksh: ll: not found. Pls help on this? Thanks in Advance, Naga :cool: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagapandi
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Alias not working

Hello, I am trying to set an alias in my .kshrc or .profile and when I do it is not setting. If I do it manually it works fine. Is there another file I should put this in? Here is the alias I am using. alias ll='ls -ltr' I am using solaris 9. When I type alias it does not show these... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dkranes
5 Replies

5. AIX

Alias Command in Bourne Shell

Hi My Unix sever is AIX 5.3. My Login shell ( using echo $SHELL) is /bin/sh implying it is a Bourne Shell. My Question is that i am still able to use Alias command to create/retrieve aliases. I have read in several sites on Unix online that the Bourne Shell does not support Aliases but... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchegoor
12 Replies

6. Red Hat

[SOLVED] How the alias is working?

Iam facing some strange issue with alias. I have an alias file in which i have created lot of aliases as given below. export BUILD_HOME=/apps/psr/build export DB_HOME=/apps/psr/database export LOGS_HOME=/apps/psr/logs export BUILD_TEST=/apps/psr/build_dev/build_test export... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vikram_Tanwar12
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Alias not working

Hi, I'm on Solaris (SunOS wsp2cm01 5.10 Generic_150400-10 sun4v sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-T200). Trying to set up an alias like below - alias grep="/usr/xpg4/bin/grep"but when I call grep in my command it ignores my alias & uses /usr/bin/grep instead. The problem with /usr/bin/grep is that it doesn't... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: nexional
24 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alias not working

I have several shell scripts which contain the nawk command. Here is what i m doing assign the correct value to nawk as nawk is not found on a new systems. Here is what i did. more test.sh ] && alias nawk=/usr/bin/gawk ] && alias nawk=/usr/bin/nawk ] && alias nawk=/usr/bin/awk... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop in bourne shell is not working

I have a loop with cases I am working on Bourne shell for file in *.${Today}*.csv *.${Today}*.txt\ do case ${file} in sun_detail) do something ;; sum) do something ;; mod) do something ;; *) do something ;; (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Lost with this alias why it is not working

Hi, I have the following aliases: $: alias | grep "^du=" du='du -s * 2>/dev/null | awk '\''{ printf "%4.2f-KB ==> %s \n", $1/1024 , $2 }'\'' | sort -rn' $: alias | grep "^dutop10=" dutop10='du -s * 2>/dev/null | awk '\''{ printf "%4.2f-KB ==> %s \n", $1/1024 , $2 }'\'' | sort -rn | head... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies
conflict(8mh)															     conflict(8mh)

Name
       conflict - search for alias/password conflicts

Syntax
       /usr/lib/mh/conflict [ -help ] [ -mail name ] [ -search directory ] [ aliasfiles ...  ]

Description
       The  program checks to see if the interface between MH and transport system is in good shape.  It also checks for maildrops in which do not
       belong to a valid user.	It assumes that no user name will start with a dot (.)	and thus ignores files in which begin with a dot.

The program checks the entries in the specified alias files.  It parses the entries in the same way that  would,  and  outputs  any  errors
       which  it  finds.   The	program can be used to check the entries in a user's personal alias file, or in the system alias file, If no alias
       file is specified, checks the system alias file.

The program also checks the file for entries which do not belong to a valid user, and for users who do not have a valid group  number.	In
       addition, duplicate users and groups are noted.

The program should be run under or whenever system accounting takes place.

Options
       -help	 Prints a list of the valid options to this command.

-mail name
		 Mails the results to the specified name.  Otherwise, the results are sent to the standard output.

-search directory
		 Searches  directories	other than and reports anomalies in those directories.	The -search switch can appear more than once in an
		 invocation to with different directories named.

Files
       The system customization file.

The system password file.

The system group file.

Program used to mail results, if the
		 -mail option is used.

Directory containing users' maildrops.

See Also
       mh-alias(5mh), cron(8)

conflict(8mh)