Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Listing Option Menu Choices from Text File Post 302959307 by Aia on Saturday 31st of October 2015 11:47:24 AM
Old 10-31-2015
Quote:
Code:
f = open("C:\Users\name\OneDrive\Python\sitelist.txt", "r")
list = f.read()

var=StringVar ()
var.set ('Click to Select Site')
sitelist = OptionMenu (root, var, *list)
sitelist.pack (fill=X,padx=10)

Code:
with open(r'C:\Users\name\OneDrive\Python\sitelist.txt') as f:
    sites = f.readlines()
var=StringVar ()
var.set ('Click to Select Site')
sitelist = OptionMenu (root, var, *sites)
sitelist.pack (fill=X,padx=10)

readlines() loads the file into an array, instead of read() which it loads the file as a string.
list is already used by Python as something else, I would avoid it.
"\n" can cause problems since it represents the end of line, use r'' for raw.
with open() takes care of the maintenance associated with opening a file.

Last edited by Aia; 10-31-2015 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: comment about readlines()
This User Gave Thanks to Aia For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating a list of choices in a menu

Hello all, I have the below script and I'm a little stuck on the best way to continue. Essentially I'm creating a text file (systems.txt) with a list of servers in it by hostname. Then I would like to echo a menu with each hostname and a number to use to pick it from the list. It's somehow... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sysera
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

a main menu option?

I have created a main menu in the following way: while true; do echo " " echo "Main Menu: " echo "Please Select An Option Using The Options Provided." echo " " echo "1 - Search All Files" echo " " echo "2 - Search Individual Files" echo " " ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amatuer_lee_3
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Shell Script: With Menu Option

I am attempting to create a shell script with the following capaciblities: 1. Listed options to choice from 2. Use to perform awk statements 3. Print a report with the awk results My questions are 1. How do I select more than one file for option #5 and #6 2. How to I create an... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jroberson
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Selectable numeric text menu from file possible?

Is there a way i can take 'lets say the etc/group file' and arange the group names into a selectable numeric menu eg; 1) root:0 2) other:1 3) bin:2 4) sys:3 ..... ..... ..... and so on then GROUP="group name of users selection" i have tried for over an hour searching on... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: switchkill
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I add the option to change the path in a menu?

How do I add the option to change the path in a menu? I have this script. The user chooses a number and had the option of doing something, looking for log files etc. There is a possibility they might want to look at a different path other than what I have given them such as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: taekwondo
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Full ps output listing ... what option?

Hi all, Can someone please advise how to get the full listing of a process using the ps command? Or is this not possible and I can only do this only by process ID? Output am wanting to have is similar to when running /usr/ucb/ps -auxwww but preferably using "traditional" ps command that I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Add Option To Right Menu

hey all, I already installed nautilus-actions now , I want to add "print path" script(option) to the right context menu!.. I did : http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/6973/59818245.png http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/8758/37217230.png the script print located in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eawedat
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sh file: READ (menu) but now run with option

I have a script which uses READ to detect choice of menu option...now I want to change the script without doing whole rewrite such that when user runs ./script.sh 5 it would execute menu option 5 rather than user running ./script.sh waiting for it to load and then pressing "5 enter" Is it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: holyearth
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to call a menu script and redirect each option to a text file

Hello, I want to design a script that will call an existing menu script and select options one by one and redirict the out put to a file. For example;- In the script MENU.sh there are 10 options i want to design a script MENU2.sh that will select option 2 3 4 6 7 10 and redirict the output... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: spradha
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Menu option each on a new line

Here is my script for the menu options. # Bash Menu Script Example PS3='Please enter your choice: ' options=("Option 1:" "Option 2:" "Other Reason:" "Quit") select opt in "${options}" do case $opt in "Option 1 :") echo "you chose choice 1" ;; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies
GMTLOGO(1gmt)						       Generic Mapping Tools						     GMTLOGO(1gmt)

NAME
gmtlogo - Adding a GMT graphics logo overlay to an illustration SYNOPSIS
gmtlogo dx dy [ -Gfill ] [ -W[pen] ] >> plot.ps DESCRIPTION
This scrips appends the GMT logo to an "open" PostScript file. The logo is 2 inches wide and 1 inch high and will be positioned with the lower left corner at the position (dx,dy) relative to the current plot origin. OPTIONS
-G Select color or pattern for filling the underlying box [Default is no fill]. (See SPECIFYING FILL below). -W Set pen attributes for the outline of the box [Default is no outline]. (See SPECIFYING PENS below). SPECIFYING PENS pen The attributes of lines and symbol outlines as defined by pen is a comma delimetered list of width, color and texture, each of which is optional. width can be indicated as a measure (points, centimeters, inches) or as faint, thin[ner|nest], thick[er|est], fat[ter|test], or obese. color specifies a gray shade or color (see SPECIFYING COLOR below). texture is a combination of dashes `-' and dots `.'. SPECIFYING FILL fill The attribute fill specifies the solid shade or solid color (see SPECIFYING COLOR below) or the pattern used for filling polygons. Patterns are specified as pdpi/pattern, where pattern gives the number of the built-in pattern (1-90) or the name of a Sun 1-, 8-, or 24-bit raster file. The dpi sets the resolution of the image. For 1-bit rasters: use Pdpi/pattern for inverse video, or append :Fcolor[B[color]] to specify fore- and background colors (use color = - for transparency). See GMT Cookbook & Technical Reference Appendix E for information on individual patterns. SPECIFYING COLOR color The color of lines, areas and patterns can be specified by a valid color name; by a gray shade (in the range 0-255); by a decimal color code (r/g/b, each in range 0-255; h-s-v, ranges 0-360, 0-1, 0-1; or c/m/y/k, each in range 0-1); or by a hexadecimal color code (#rrggbb, as used in HTML). See the gmtcolors manpage for more information and a full list of color names. SEE ALSO
GMT(1), gmtcolors(5), psimage(1) GMT 4.5.7 15 Jul 2011 GMTLOGO(1gmt)