Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Listing Option Menu Choices from Text File Post 302959304 by tattoostreet on Saturday 31st of October 2015 10:58:51 AM
Old 10-31-2015
Listing Option Menu Choices from Text File

Hello,

I am starting up a tool and one of the initial steps is to select a site/location which is being read from a text file.

Here is the text file contents:

Code:
site1
site2
site3

Here is the code:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/python

from Tkinter import *

root = Tk()
root.geometry("600x400")
root.title("Management E-mail")
# code here

# selecting sites title
title1 = Label (root, text = "What is the site Code?")
title1.pack(fill=X,padx=10)

# selecting sites sites

f = open("C:\Users\name\OneDrive\Python\sitelist.txt", "r")
list = f.read()

var=StringVar ()
var.set ('Click to Select Site')
sitelist = OptionMenu (root, var, *list)
sitelist.pack (fill=X,padx=10)

# input ticket number

title2 = Label (root, text = "What is the ticket number?")
title2.pack (fill=X,padx=10)

text1 = Entry ()
text1.pack(fill=X,padx=10)

listbox = Listbox ()
listbox.pack(side=LEFT,fill=BOTH, expand=1)						  

root.mainloop ()

The problem is the output wherein OptionMenu is reading it per character:

Can you help me list it per site? Thank you in advanced!

Output should be:

site1
site2
site3

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating a list of choices in a menu

Hello all, I have the below script and I'm a little stuck on the best way to continue. Essentially I'm creating a text file (systems.txt) with a list of servers in it by hostname. Then I would like to echo a menu with each hostname and a number to use to pick it from the list. It's somehow... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sysera
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

a main menu option?

I have created a main menu in the following way: while true; do echo " " echo "Main Menu: " echo "Please Select An Option Using The Options Provided." echo " " echo "1 - Search All Files" echo " " echo "2 - Search Individual Files" echo " " ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amatuer_lee_3
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Shell Script: With Menu Option

I am attempting to create a shell script with the following capaciblities: 1. Listed options to choice from 2. Use to perform awk statements 3. Print a report with the awk results My questions are 1. How do I select more than one file for option #5 and #6 2. How to I create an... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jroberson
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Selectable numeric text menu from file possible?

Is there a way i can take 'lets say the etc/group file' and arange the group names into a selectable numeric menu eg; 1) root:0 2) other:1 3) bin:2 4) sys:3 ..... ..... ..... and so on then GROUP="group name of users selection" i have tried for over an hour searching on... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: switchkill
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I add the option to change the path in a menu?

How do I add the option to change the path in a menu? I have this script. The user chooses a number and had the option of doing something, looking for log files etc. There is a possibility they might want to look at a different path other than what I have given them such as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: taekwondo
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Full ps output listing ... what option?

Hi all, Can someone please advise how to get the full listing of a process using the ps command? Or is this not possible and I can only do this only by process ID? Output am wanting to have is similar to when running /usr/ucb/ps -auxwww but preferably using "traditional" ps command that I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Add Option To Right Menu

hey all, I already installed nautilus-actions now , I want to add "print path" script(option) to the right context menu!.. I did : http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/6973/59818245.png http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/8758/37217230.png the script print located in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eawedat
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sh file: READ (menu) but now run with option

I have a script which uses READ to detect choice of menu option...now I want to change the script without doing whole rewrite such that when user runs ./script.sh 5 it would execute menu option 5 rather than user running ./script.sh waiting for it to load and then pressing "5 enter" Is it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: holyearth
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to call a menu script and redirect each option to a text file

Hello, I want to design a script that will call an existing menu script and select options one by one and redirict the out put to a file. For example;- In the script MENU.sh there are 10 options i want to design a script MENU2.sh that will select option 2 3 4 6 7 10 and redirict the output... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: spradha
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Menu option each on a new line

Here is my script for the menu options. # Bash Menu Script Example PS3='Please enter your choice: ' options=("Option 1:" "Option 2:" "Other Reason:" "Quit") select opt in "${options}" do case $opt in "Option 1 :") echo "you chose choice 1" ;; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies
wxChoice(3erl)						     Erlang Module Definition						    wxChoice(3erl)

NAME
wxChoice - See external documentation: wxChoice. DESCRIPTION
See external documentation: wxChoice . This class is derived (and can use functions) from: wxControlWithItems wxControl wxWindow wxEvtHandler DATA TYPES
wxChoice() : An object reference, The representation is internal and can be changed without notice. It can't be used for comparsion stored on disc or distributed for use on other nodes. EXPORTS
new() -> wxChoice() See external documentation . new(Parent::wxWindow() (see module wxWindow), Id::integer()) -> wxChoice() Equivalent to new(Parent, Id, []) . new(Parent::wxWindow() (see module wxWindow), Id::integer(), Options::[Option]) -> wxChoice() Types Option = {pos, {X::integer(), Y::integer()}} | {size, {W::integer(), H::integer()}} | {choices, [[string()]]} | {style, inte- ger()} | {validator, wx() (see module wx)} See external documentation . create(This::wxChoice(), Parent::wxWindow() (see module wxWindow), Id::integer(), Pos::{X::integer(), Y::integer()}, Size::{W::integer(), H::integer()}, Choices::[[string()]]) -> bool() Equivalent to create(This, Parent, Id, Pos, Size, Choices, []) . create(This::wxChoice(), Parent::wxWindow() (see module wxWindow), Id::integer(), Pos::{X::integer(), Y::integer()}, Size::{W::integer(), H::integer()}, Choices::[[string()]], Options::[Option]) -> bool() Types Option = {style, integer()} | {validator, wx() (see module wx)} See external documentation . delete(This::wxChoice(), N::integer()) -> ok See external documentation . getColumns(This::wxChoice()) -> integer() See external documentation . setColumns(This::wxChoice()) -> ok Equivalent to setColumns(This, []) . setColumns(This::wxChoice(), Options::[Option]) -> ok Types Option = {n, integer()} See external documentation . destroy(This::wxChoice()) -> ok Destroys this object, do not use object again AUTHORS
<> wxErlang 0.98.9 wxChoice(3erl)