Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris SVM RAID5: Can an app access raw partitions? Post 302959265 by DavidC_SysEngr on Friday 30th of October 2015 04:51:42 PM
Old 10-30-2015
SVM RAID5: Can an app access raw partitions?

I am using Solaris 9 (Sparc based) with Sybase and a proprietary DB application that works with Sybase. In the past we have not used SVM or any RAID config. The DBs were configured such that each DB had its own partition.

Now I would like to setup a new machine with the DBs on a RAID5 config using SVM. This will be my first time using RAID5 or SVM.

I think that my proprietary app references raw partitions because its installer asks what raw partition each of the DBs resides on.

So my questions are:
1) Can each DB still be on its own raw partition (such as something like c0t0d0s3) with RAID5? Or does RAID5 inherently preclude this?
2) Can an application still reference raw partitions with RAID5? Maybe my app will accept soft partitions, I'm not sure. But first, I would like to understand if I am approaching this issue correctly.

I've read some things that imply this is not possible, that a file system or soft partitions have to be used. But I haven't found anything that sufficiently explains everything so that I can understand what the issues and problems are. I'm thinking that lots of people must use Sybase DBs with RAID5, so there must be an explanation that I'm just missing.

I've also read posts on various forums where it was said that I shouldn't even consider using Solaris 9 SVM RAID5, but no one ever explained why they had that opinion. I would be interested in any comments on that.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

App for internet access on unix terminals

I am trying to find out what I should install to provide internet access and browsing possibilities on multiple unix terminals. Can anybody help? TNXS (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jigger
5 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

raw partitions

i want to know, how do i to create a rwa partttions in unixware 7 wit raid 5 best regards felix arteaga (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: farteaga
1 Replies

3. SCO

Raid5 Failure

Forgive me, I do not know much about RAID so I'm going to be as detailed as possible. This morning, our server's alarm was going. I found that one of our drives have failed. (we have 3) It is an Adaptec ATA RAID 2400A controller I'm purchasing a new SCSI drive today. My questions: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gseyforth
2 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Problem setting up raw partitions on SUSE v8.0 using LVM on Oracle 8.1.7.URGENT!!!!!!

Hi all! Working on Oracle v8.1.7.0.0 with OS  as Suse v8.0 Linux. I had created LVM,linked raw devices to LVM as below: # for binding raw devices raw /dev/raw/raw1 /dev/oracle/sam_raw_system_251m raw /dev/raw/raw2 /dev/oracle/sam_raw_users_26m raw /dev/raw/raw3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amitstora
2 Replies

5. Solaris

How to create new partitions in solaris,from the raw disk?

Hi all, I would like to know how to make new partitions.... I currently have allocated 60G for various slices (I have totally used 4 out of 7 available slices... I am running only solaris on my box. My plan is to have entire disk dedicated to solaris and run other OS from within... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
19 Replies

6. Solaris

SVM Soft partitions in a metaset- how to migrate ?

Hi Friends, I need your assistance, could someone assist.... Scenario:- Solaris 10, with zones and mounted file systems, using SAN. SVM with metasets on it configured soft partitions on the meta device. These soft partitions are mounted and file systems are being accessed. We are now trying... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: unahb1
6 Replies

7. SuSE

Raid5

Hi all, I am currently using opensuse 12.1, We have Raid 5 array of 8 disks. A friend of mine accidently removed a drive & place it back and also added a new disk to it(making it 9 disks). now the output of mdadm --detail is as shown below si64:/dev # mdadm --detail /dev/md3 /dev/md3:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: patilrajashekar
1 Replies

8. Programming

Wuhan Coronavirus Status App for China - Rapid Prototype using MQTT and the IoT OnOff IOS App

With a little bit of work, was able to build a nice "Wuhan Coronavirus Status" app using MQTT and the IoT-OnOff app. More on this technique here: ESP32 (ESP-WROOM-32) as an MQTT Client Subscribed to Linux Server Load Average Messages The result turned out nice, I think. I like the look and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
10 Replies
metareplace(1M)                                           System Administration Commands                                           metareplace(1M)

NAME
metareplace - enable or replace components of submirrors or RAID5 metadevices SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/metareplace -h /usr/sbin/metareplace [-s setname] -e mirror component /usr/sbin/metareplace [-s setname] mirror component-old component-new /usr/sbin/metareplace [-s setname] -e RAID component /usr/sbin/metareplace [-s setname] [-f] RAID component-old component-new DESCRIPTION
The metareplace command is used to enable or replace components (slices) within a submirror or a RAID5 metadevice. When you replace a component, the metareplace command automatically starts resyncing the new component with the rest of the metadevice. When the resync completes, the replaced component becomes readable and writable. If the failed component has been hot spare replaced, the hot spare is placed in the available state and made available for other hot spare replacements. Note that the new component must be large enough to replace the old component. A component may be in one of several states. The Last Erred and the Maintenance states require action. Always replace components in the Maintenance state first, followed by a resync and validation of data. After components requiring maintenance are fixed, validated, and resynced, components in the Last Erred state should be replaced. To avoid data loss, it is always best to back up all data before replacing Last Erred devices. OPTIONS
Root privileges are required for all of the following options except -h. -e Transitions the state of component to the available state and resyncs the failed component. If the failed component has been hot spare replaced, the hot spare is placed in the available state and made available for other hot spare replace- ments. This command is useful when a component fails due to human error (for example, accidentally turning off a disk), or because the component was physically replaced. In this case, the replacement component must be partitioned to match the disk being replaced before running the metareplace command. -f Forces the replacement of an errored component of a metadevice in which multiple components are in error. The component determined by the metastat display to be in the ``Maintenance'' state must be replaced first. This option may cause data to be fabricated since multiple components are in error. -h Display help message. -s setname Specifies the name of the diskset on which metareplace will work. Using the -s option will cause the command to perform its administrative function within the specified diskset. Without this option, the command will perform its function on local metadevices. mirror The metadevice name of the mirror. component The logical name for the physical slice (partition) on a disk drive, such as /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s2. component-old The physical slice that is being replaced. component-new The physical slice that is replacing component-old. RAID The metadevice name of the RAID5 device. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Recovering from Error Condition in RAID5 Metadevice This example shows how to recover when a single component in a RAID5 metadevice is errored. # metareplace d10 c3t0d0s2 c5t0d0s2 In this example, a RAID5 metadevice d10 has an errored component, c3t0d0s2, replaced by a new component, c5t0d0s2. Example 2: Use of -e After Physical Disk Replacement This example shows the use of the -e option after a physical disk in a submirror (a submirror of mirror d11, in this case) has been replaced. # metareplace -e d11 c1t4d0s2 Note: The replacement disk must be partitioned to match the disk it is replacing before running the metareplace command. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWmdu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mdmonitord(1M), metaclear(1M), metadb(1M), metadetach(1M), metahs(1M), metainit(1M), metaoffline(1M), metaonline(1M), metaparam(1M), metarecover(1M), metarename(1M), metaroot(1M), metaset(1M), metassist(1M), metastat(1M), metasync(1M), metattach(1M), md.tab(4), md.cf(4), mddb.cf(4), md.tab(4), attributes(5), md(7D) Solaris Volume Manager Administration Guide SunOS 5.10 8 Aug 2003 metareplace(1M)