Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting UNIX shell scripting - help needed Post 302959242 by Don Cragun on Friday 30th of October 2015 01:22:18 PM
Old 10-30-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
Well - yes and no. TMP wouldn't be overwritten by any line in inputfile2, but IF there were more than one line in inputfile1, only the last one were acted upon with my proposal, while only the first one were considered by Don Cragun's,
Yes. Sorry for confusing the issue.

In the first draft of my code, I had a typo that grabbed the 1st line from both files as the template (FNR == 1 instead of NR == 1) and when I saw your post a minute after my post, I thought you had fallen into the same trap. My mistake!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed in shell scripting......urgent

Dear friends, please help me to solve following problem. I'm running a frontend application from which i'll be invoking the shell script with arguments as given below -driver -w -p "ABC XYZ" -S -ds con -dn "abc xyz" i am getting $1=-driver $2=-w $3=-p $4="ABC $5=XYZ" $6=-S $7=-ds... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swamymns
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed - shell scripting

I have a file that has text in the format below ABC / Some text / ABC / Some text / ABC / Some text / ABC / Some text / ABC / Some text / How can I seperate the text between a pair of 'ABC' into seperate files ??? any information would be of great help. Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: garric
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SHell Scripting Help Needed

Dear All, I have an input file like this interface Serial10/0/7:11.1 point-to-point description CLIENT:SA_INSTITUTO ANGLO MEXICANO Sitio Metepec 104452:0,165 bandwidth 64 ip vrf forwarding INSTITUTO-ANGLO ip address 192.168.148.217 255.255.255.252 no ip directed-broadcast frame-relay... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cskumar
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed - ksh shell scripting

Hi all, i m new to Unix shell scripting(ksh) i have a requirement, can anyone help me out in this.. spec: i need to move all the files landing in "X" directory to "Y" directory automatically everyday at a particular time.. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: subbu
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed in shell scripting

" how to write a script to send an error in a log file to a particular E-Mail ID " Can anyone help me in this ? Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: himvat
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed for shell scripting for oracle.

Hi, Please see contains both files created for automating the data from oracle through shell. 1)a_p.ksh #!/bin/ksh LOG=/home/A_P.log MESSAGE=/home/MESSAGE_A_P.txt mail_list=/home/AP_MAIL_LIST.txt data=/home/spooled_A_P.log echo "`date` Starting execution for A_P COUNT" > $LOG ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fidelis
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed with Shell scripting

Hi All, I need to split a flatfile based on it's first character, I am using the following script awk '{print > "TEST_substr($0,1,1).txt"}' PROVIDER.txt It is returning files TEST_1 and TEST_2 But I am not getting the .txt file extension. I need the files like TEST_1.txt and ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sam35
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed in Korn Shell scripting

#! /bin/ksh while read line do if ] ; then echo "no data" continue; fi echo "performing operation on $line" done < prg.txt (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Juhi Kashyap
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed in UNIX scripting

Hi, I have 2 variables which is having like the below data a=x.1 y.2 z.3 m.4 b=No (zero) rows read (0)~ No (zero) rows read (0)~ Complete: 273894 row(s)~ Complete: 729002 row(s)~ I need a file which should contain x.1,No (zero) rows read (0)~ y.2,No (zero) rows read (0)~ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravindra Swan
2 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)