Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Count lines in section
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Count lines in section Post 302959013 by balajesuri on Wednesday 28th of October 2015 04:16:12 AM
Old 10-28-2015
Please let us know what you've tried. It would be easier for forum members to help you a bit rather than work on a solution to your question from scratch :-)
Also do post details such as which OS, shell, preferred tool (bash/awk/sed/perl), etc...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to count lines - ignoring blank lines and commented lines

What is the command to count lines in a files, but ignore blank lines and commented lines? I have a file with 4 sections in it, and I want each section to be counted, not including the blank lines and comments... and then totalled at the end. Here is an example of what I would like my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kthatch
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Duplicate Lines per Section

Hello, I am in need of removing duplicate lines from within a file per section. File: ABC1 012345 header ABC2 7890-000 ABC3 012345 Header Table ABC4 ABC5 593.0000 587.4800 ABC5 593.5000 587.6580 <= dup need to remove ABC5 593.5000 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: petersf
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Placing Duplicate Lines per section into another file

Hello, I need help in putting duplicate lines within a section into another file. Here is what I'm struggling with: Using this file “data.txt”: ABC1 012345 header ABC2 7890-000 ABC3 012345 Header Table ABC4 ABC5 593.0000 587.4800 ABC5 593.5000 587.6580 <= dup need to remove ABC5... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: petersf
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count certain lines

Hi! I have a file that looks like this: AAG ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Number of residues in the repeat = 3 AGA ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Number of residues in the repeat = 3 AGG ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanesa1230
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract section of file based on word in section

I have a list of Servers in no particular order as follows: virtualMachines="IIBSBS IIBVICDMS01 IIBVICMA01"And I am generating some output from a pre-existing script that gives me the following (this is a sample output selection). 9/17/2010 8:00:05 PM: Normal backup using VDRBACKUPS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i comment out a section between two particular lines

I want to find out which files under /etc have the the following section: and then i would like to comment out the above section in all the files. Please help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk to get specific section of lines in logs

i have a log file that has the date and time that looks like this: Wed Jun 28 15:46:21 2012 test failed tailed passed passed not error panic what we want to focus on is the first 5 columns because they contain the date and time. the date and time can be anywhere on the line. in this... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

split continues lines to separated section with conditions

Hello; i have a file contains N continues records. i want to split these lines to some separate sections with each lines of a section has the desired condition compared to other sections input: AZR ? ? ? Pn 37.202 48.82 1136119044 1136119009 SHB ? ? ? Pn 37.802 48.02 1136119047 1136119008... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saeed.soltani
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a lines to specific section of the file.

Hello, I have to a add 2 lines to /etc/sudoers file under this section below, can someone please suggest script to add these two lines when execute this remotely on to a multiple servers. before ## Allow root to run any commands anywhere root ALL=(ALL) ALL After ## Allow root... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby320
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count lines

Hello, I have a file with two columns like the following FILE1: chr1 61042 chr1 61153 chr1 61446 chr1 61457 chr1 61621 chr10 61646 chr10 61914 chr10 62024 chr10 62782 Alos, I have another file FILE2: (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkk
13 Replies
DPKG-WWW(1)						      General Commands Manual						       DPKG-WWW(1)

NAME
dpkg-www - program to remotely open a WWW Debian package browser SYNOPSIS
dpkg-www [-s|--stdout] [-h|--host host] [query] DESCRIPTION
dpkg-www is used to remotely control a WEB browser and open a dpkg URL on the local host from an interactive shell or script. If the command is invoked while running under X-window the script will try to find an installed X browser to open the specified URL. If not running under X it will try to use a text browser instead. If Netscape is found and a Netscape instance is already running it will be asked to open the dpkg URL on localhost with the optional query supplied on the command line. If there is no browser running, it will start automatically a new one. The functionality provided by this program is identical to running a web browser with the -remote openURL(http://localhost/cgi-bin/dpkg) argument or opening the same URL from within the browser. dpkg-www-installer is an helper application which can configured in the WWW browser for web installation. It should never be invoked directly by the user. OPTIONS
-s, --stdout Redirect output to stdout. Requires one of the text browsers (lynx, lynx-ssl or links) installed. -h, --host host Send the query to a remote host, where dpkg-www must be installed. query Specifies an optional package name, an absolute pathname or a query argument which is passed to the dpkg cgi-bin. See dpkg-www(8) for more information about the use of the cgi. FILES
/etc/dpkg-www.conf ~/.dpkg-www Configuration files for dpkg-www. It is not necessary for these files to exist, there are sensible defaults for everything, but you can specify your preferred www browser with the DPKG_WWW_BROWSER variable, for example: DPKG_WWW_BROWSER=mozilla EXAMPLES
dpkg-www This would open a dpkg URL on localhost listing all the installed packages. dpkg-www bash This would open a dpkg URL asking info on the bash package. dpkg-www -h pisolo bash This would open a dpkg URL asking info on the bash package on host pisolo. dpkg-www 'dpkg*' This would open a dpkg URL listing all packages matching dpkg*. dpkg-www /bin/bash This would open a dpkg URL asking info on the package(s) owning the file /bin/bash . dpkg-www depends=svgalib This would open a dpkg URL listing all packages depending on svgalib. dpkg-www --stdout depends=awk | grep ^ii This would list on stdout all packages depending on awk and grep all lines of installed packages. SEE ALSO
dpkg(8), dpkg-www(8) AUTHOR
Massimo Dal Zotto <dz@debian.org>. Bugs should be reported via the normal Debian bug reporting system. LICENCE
dpkg-www is licensed under the GNU General Public License version 2. September 1, 2004 DPKG-WWW(1)