Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Special case to skip function in bash menu Post 302958990 by cmccabe on Tuesday 27th of October 2015 05:07:43 PM
Old 10-27-2015
Special case to skip function in bash menu

In the bash menu below if the variant that is inputted is in the format NM_004004.3:c.274G>T the below works perfectly. My question is if the variant inputted isNM_004004.3:-c.274G>T or NM_004004.3:+c.274G>T then the code as is will throw an error due to a biological issue. Is it possible to to have variants that have either a -/+ in them skip the additional function and go straight to the nomenclature function? I apologize for any confusion I am not sure how to explain this, but basically if variants with a -/+ in them go to the additional function then they will error. I don't know if there can be a special case coded in or if there is a better way. Thank you Smilie.

Code:
 gjb2() {
    printf "\n\n"
    printf "What is the id of the patient getting GJB2 analysis : "; read id
	printf "Please enter the coding variant the following is an example"
	echo " c.274G>T"

printf "variant(s), use a comma between multiple: "; IFS="," read -a variant

[ -z "$id" ] && printf "\n No ID supplied. Leaving match function." && sleep 2 && return
        [ "$id" = "end" ] && printf "\n Leaving match function." && sleep 2 && return

for ((i=0; i<${#variant[@]}; i++))
              do printf "NM_004004.5:%s\n" ${variant[$i]} >> c:/Users/cmccabe/Desktop/Python27/out.txt
        done
	add2text ${id}.txt
	additional
}

Code:
nomenclature() {                 
 # run python NameChecker
    printf "\n\n"
	cd 'C:'
    C:/Users/cmccabe/Desktop/Python27/python.exe C:/Users/cmccabe/Desktop/Python27/run_batch_job.py C:/Users/cmccabe/Desktop/Python27/out.txt C:/Users/cmccabe/Desktop/Python27/out_name.txt NameChecker
   check
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to delete whole directory in special case

Hello, Today, as a root user, i want to copy recursively all files and diretories in a source directory to a destination directory using the following command, cp -r /home/smith/* /home/bob/ However, I carelessly missed the '*' out when I executed the command. Now, i noticed a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cy163
1 Replies

2. SCO

Avoiding duplicates with some special case

Hi Gurus, I had a question regarding avoiding duplicates.i have a file abc.txt abc.txt ------- READER_1_1_1> HIER_28056 XML Reader: Error occurred while parsing:; line number ; column number READER_1_3_1> Sun Mar 23 23:52:48 2008 READER_1_3_1> HIER_28056 XML Reader: Error occurred while... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pssandeep
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

My menu function

Below is my menu options code. It allows user to pick one of two option. I can get the first option to work, because if it is selected it just "breaks" and carries on with the script. What i want to know is if a user selects option two how do i get that option to ignore all the other script and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amatuer_lee_3
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rename more files special case

hello all i have a big problems for me if i have more files as example test.ghrt.part01.rar test.ghrt.part02.rar test.ghrt.part03.rar test.ghrt.part04.rar test.ghrt.part05.rar test.ghrt.part06.rar test.ghrt.part07.rar test.ghrt.part08.rar test.ghrt.part09.rar test.ghrt.part10.rar... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ateya
13 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

menu + awk + while + case

the idea is to create script with menu and when option 1 or2 is pressed program should clear screan display info and get back to menu.... I managed some code but getting errors... #!/bin/bash choice1=ls -l|awk'{print $9 $1}' choice2= ls | wc -c choice3=exit while do clear echo "... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: me.
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Two columns output in simple case menu?

EDIT : System used : Any Linux distribution. Hello everyone, I m having quite a headache trying to figure out why I m having a 2 columns output in the following code : #!/bin/ksh menu_rotation() { #Variables CHOIX1="Rotation 1" CHOIX2="Rotation 2" CHOIX3="Rotation 3" ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekullos
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in create menu with 3 sub menu using the case command

hi all i am a newbie to this is there any examples on creating a main menu with 3 sub menu main menu -> option a , b and c a menu -> option 1 ,2 and 3 b menu -> option 1 ,2 c menu -> option 1 ,2 i am getting headache as my code kept getting unexpected EOF ---------- Post... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercm
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Menu and case statement scripting

hi all i am trying to get help with writing a script using case statement to display menu as 1) Authentication log 2) System log 3) Messages 4) Dmesg 5) Boot log Q) Exit When selecting the menu by 1 or 2 or 3 o 4 or 5, it should display the last 10 lines of the log files, if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: renegade11
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk special parse case

I have a special case that awk could be used but I do not have the skill. Trying to create a final output file (indel_parse.txt) that is created from using some information from each of the two files (attached). parse rules: The header is skipped FNR>1 1. 4 zeros after the NC_ (not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to skip if file not found in bash?

Hello, I have a question regarding while loop and existence of files. I am running under ubuntu 18.04 bionic, have around fifty video files inside the directory. script: for file in *.mp4 do /root/bin/ffmpeg -i $file \ -i $(basename "${file/.mp4}").bs.srt \ -i $(basename... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
12 Replies
explain_printf_or_die(3)				     Library Functions Manual					  explain_printf_or_die(3)

NAME
explain_printf_or_die - formatted output conversion and report errors SYNOPSIS
#include <libexplain/printf.h> int explain_printf_or_die(const char *format); int explain_printf_on_error(const char *format); DESCRIPTION
The explain_printf_or_die function is used to call the printf(3) system call. On failure an explanation will be printed to stderr, obtained from the explain_printf(3) function, and then the process terminates by calling exit(EXIT_FAILURE). The explain_printf_on_error function is used to call the printf(3) system call. On failure an explanation will be printed to stderr, obtained from the explain_printf(3) function, but still returns to the caller. format The format, exactly as to be passed to the printf(3) system call. RETURN VALUE
The explain_printf_or_die function only returns on success, see printf(3) for more information. On failure, prints an explanation and exits, it does not return. The explain_printf_on_error function always returns the value return by the wrapped printf(3) system call. EXAMPLE
The explain_printf_or_die function is intended to be used in a fashion similar to the following example: int result = explain_printf_or_die(format); SEE ALSO
printf(3) formatted output conversion explain_printf(3) explain printf(3) errors exit(2) terminate the calling process COPYRIGHT
libexplain version 0.52 Copyright (C) 2010 Peter Miller explain_printf_or_die(3)