Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to Repeat history command? Post 302958888 by bakunin on Tuesday 27th of October 2015 06:44:31 AM
Old 10-27-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramanareddygv
Assume i have typed 4 commands in the past like
Code:
vi `ls -t |head -n 1`
tail -2 test.txt
ls -lrt | grep "/etc/profile.d"
pwd

Now if i type r p it should execute the command "pwd" likewise r t should execute tail -2 test.txt.

You haven't told us which system and which shell you use, but from your use of the r alias i deduce it is an AIX system. r is an alias itself for:

Code:
fc -e -

I agree with rbatte1, it is a dangerous thing to rely on something spurious like the command history. If you want to repeatedly execute a (group of) command(s) then put them into a script, not an alias.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Repeat a command in a shell

Hi there, i would like to repeat a command in a shell sript (bash) the script starts with a menu to choose a menu point to do something .... on the end of the script i would like to restart the programm to choose the menu points on the beginning. I would also make a sript that send... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotty
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeat last entered command ?

Hi, how to do that ? I mean only print it but not execute. I'm using putty to interact with ksh. (in windows cmd up arrow does the job) thanks vilius (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Repeat previous unix command

Hi all, Is there a way to bring back the previous unix command without retyping? I tried the "arror up" key, and it seems not working (sun solaris). What is the correct way? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: syang68
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeat same command on multiple lines

HI I have a text file named docs with 100 filenames with full directory path one by one. I want to perform an action on all of them, the action i want to do this chown bin:bin <filename>. The <filename> should be each line in the docs text file. Please give the code. Somebody told to use for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PrasannaKS
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SUPER simple bash script to repeat a command...

I need to repeat this command on a configurable interval: igal -a -r -U -w 6 I tried this: #!/bin/bash igal -a -r -U -w 6 sleep 30 Just a guess that it MIGHT work. Can anyone point me in the right direction? -R (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: robfindlay
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Repeat output of last command w/o repeating last command

Is there a way to repeat the output of the last command for filtering without running the command again? All I could think of was to copy all the data to a text file and process it that way, is there another way? Like say I want to grep server.server.lan from a dtrace that was pages long after I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The history command: See other users command history

Can anyone tell this: If two users are logged into the same server from different locations. Is there a way to see the history command of the other user? I tried the history command, but it is showing me only the commands I used. Thanks in advance for your help. Iamnew2solaris (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iamnew2solaris
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeat a command on linux without typing

Hi, I would like to run the clear command, for every 10 times I hit the enter button. Is there a way to track the number of times the enter button is hit and run the clear command? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeat a command for one sec

How to repeat the execution of a simple command like the following for 1 sec ? echo Hi The completion time for the command is not known, but we need to calculate the number of times this commans executes successfully within 1 sec. Thanks Kumarjit (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
5 Replies

10. Programming

Java: Repeat a command

I came across a site to learn java and they give you practice problems to do. I was wondering if anyone can help me with this since I am totally new to Java. Here is the first problem: Write a program that will read in a name from the command line and write it out 100 times. Thank you for any... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: totoro125
10 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)                                                 General Commands Manual                                                ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)