Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Change file permission of mounted drive Linux Post 302958586 by yifangt on Friday 23rd of October 2015 01:06:07 PM
Old 10-23-2015
I copied from other post when I first could not run anything from that mounted disk. With permissions 0 0 everything was changed belongs to root with permission 777, which is worse than the previous permission setting (forgot what it was!), and this annoying when I browse the folders. I want to get it back to original setting.
After I changed with your settings, it is the same. I can't even change the permissions under root.
Code:
sudo chmod a-wx *.c
sudo chmod -x *.pdf

did not give any error, though.

Last edited by yifangt; 10-23-2015 at 03:04 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Timestamp of File permission change

Hi!! Experts, Is there any way to find the timestamp when the permission of a file was modified?? I mean no change to file contents.. Just the chnage of permissions. :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test to see if a drive is mounted at a specific point

I have a script that backs up our storage drive daily to one external drive and weekly to another. What I'd like to do is find a way, in the script, to test whether the drives are mounted so that it doesn't accidentally fill up the main drive in the event of a drive failure, etc. Any ideas on how... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: spectre_240sx
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

ksh : permission denied on mounted dir

Hello, I have the following problem. I made a directory /mnt/appserv and mounted it on a windows server. The line in /etc/fstab to do this is the following : winoracle:/environments10g /mnt/appserv cifs defaults 0 0 I have mounted this dir as root-user. The rights on the directory are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bdb78451
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change the default permission of a file

I am creating a file using the UTL_FILE command of oracle. This creates a file with the oracle user id. The file does not have permission for being read by any other user id. Is there a way that I can change this default permission. I tried using umask in the .login. Setting the umask to 022 works... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reachsamir
2 Replies

5. AIX

Change file permission by anothere user !

Guy's we are in AIX 5.3 We have created two users user1 and user2 and they are under same group Staff Group user1 will create file under /tmp/ and this is the permission of this file -rw-r--r-- 1 user1 staff 1 Jun 13 09:47 file user2 is under same group and when he... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ITHelper
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory / File changes on CIFS share mounted on Red Hat Linux

I have a requirement to copy the changed file on CIFS share mounted on Red Hat Linux to a remote FTP/SFTP server. I tried inotify-tools, but this didn't track the modified files. Has anyone tried incron or any other suggestion? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SupeAlok
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change the file permission

Guys, I need help. I need to change the .txt file permission after I have reset the file content to 0. The code that reset the file content to 0 is as follows: #!/bin/sh for i in /root/script/*.txt do echo "0" > $i done However, the file is generated by the apache application,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasperux
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change unix permission when I don't own the file

Hi, A file is transferred from a Windows server(say username : user1) to Unix server via ftp. In unix, the permission of the file for a user, say user2 will be "-rw-r-----". Since the user1 is the owner of the file, user2 is not able to change the file permission using chmod. Is there... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: merin
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change permission on a file recursively

Hi, this is the structure of the directory /local/home/app/cases under cases directory, below are the sub directories and each directory has files. /local/home/app/cases/1 /local/home/app/cases/2 /local/home/app/cases/3 /local/home/app/cases/4 File types are .txt .sh and so... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lookinginfo
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a script to create file permission change restriction

Hello, I am looking for a UNIX shell script which can help me for access restriction. 1) /home/ram, there are number file with .txt extension, which should be only owned "ram" user. like as below ls -lrt *.txt -rwx------ 1 ram dba 11 Jan 4 2015 PASS1.txt -rwx------ 1 ram dba 10 Jan 4... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr.trilok
8 Replies