Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to perform multiple operations on a number before storing to a variable? Post 302958582 by cjcox on Friday 23rd of October 2015 12:09:29 PM
Old 10-23-2015
Code:
linenumber=$(expr $(grep -n "string" $FILENAME | cut -d : -f1) - 4)

This User Gave Thanks to cjcox For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Storing Multiple Values in a Variable

Hi, My code is as below: integer i=7 while ((i <= 5 )); do # test_out is a variable which contains data separated by "^". a= `echo $test_out | cut -d"^" -f$i` echo "$a" (( i = i + 1)); done From the above code, i kept $i after f so that i can capture all the data which is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandeep_1105
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can sed perform editing operations ONLY in the matched region?

Hi: Let's suppose I want to replace all the | by > ONLY when | is between . Usually (and it works) I would do something like sed -e 's/\(\*\)|\(*\]\)/\1>\2/g' where I have to "save" some portions of the matched region and use them with the \n metacharacter. I was wondering if I could... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: islegmar
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perform Operations on One File Conditional on Data in Another File

Hello all, I am looking for a solution to the following problem. Perl or python solutions also welcome. Given this input: And this input: I want to get this output. The rule being that if the number in the first file is < 0.9, then the corresponding two columns on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hydrabane
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perform 3 awk commands to multiple files in multiple directories

Hi, I have a directory /home/datasets/ which contains a bunch (720) of subdirectories called hour_1/ hour_2/ etc..etc.. in each of these there is a single text file called (hour_1.txt in hour_1/ , hour_2.txt for hour_2/ etc..etc..) and i would like to do some text processing in them. Each of... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: amarn
20 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perform operations as a non root user

Hi All, I need a help in the below scenario. I want to perform few operations as a non root user but those operations can be performed only by the root user. For example I need to modify /etc/hosts file as a non root user. This is just one scenario. Could you please provide... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

storing multiple values in a array variable

Am using a find command in my script .The output may be one or more. I need to store those values in a array and need to access those. Am unable to find the solution . Any help on this will be helpful. if < code> else a=<find command output which gives the file name either 1 or more> if 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rogerben
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing multiple file paths in a variable

I am working on a script for Mac OS X that, among many other things, gets a list of all the installed Applications. I am pulling the list from the system_profiler command and formatting it using grep and awk. The problem is that I want to be able to use each result individually later in the script.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cranfordio
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting lines between patterns and perform operations

Hi, I'm currently dev'ing using awk and I'm currently stuck. Here's the file, with comments on "<--- ": Record <--- First Pattern Amount 1 <--- Amount on first transaction TotalSales 0 <--- Total Sales Prior from previous transactions Time 1:00:00 <--- Time... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jin_
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing variable as input & storing output in other variable

I have a below syntax its working fine... var12=$(ps -ef | grep apache | awk '{print $2,$4}') Im getting expected output as below: printf "%b\n" "${VAR12}" dell 123 dell 456 dell 457 Now I wrote a while loop.. the output of VAR12 should be passed as input parameters to while loop and results... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam@sam
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing multiple sql queries output into variable by running sql command only once

Hi All, I want to run multiple sql queries and store the data in variable but i want to use sql command only once. Is there a way without running sql command twice and storing.Please advise. Eg : Select 'Query 1 output' from dual; Select 'Query 2 output' from dual; I want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rokkesh
3 Replies
expr(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   expr(1)

Name
       expr - evaluate expressions

Syntax
       expr arg...

Description
       The arguments are taken as an expression.  After evaluation, the result is written on the standard output.  Each token of the expression is
       a separate argument.

The operators and keywords are listed below.  The list is in order of increasing precedence, with equal precedence operators grouped.

expr | expr	   Yields the first expr if it is neither null nor 0.  Otherwise yields the second expr.

expr & expr	   Yields the first expr if neither expr is null or 0.	Otherwise yields 0.

expr relop expr	   The relop is one of < <= = != >= > and yields 1 if the indicated comparison is true, '0' if false.  The  comparison	is
			   numeric if both expr are integers, otherwise lexicographic.

expr + expr
	    expr - expr
			   Yields addition or subtraction of the arguments.

expr * expr
	    expr / expr
	    expr % expr
			   Yields multiplication, division, or remainder of the arguments.

expr : expr	   The	matching  operator compares the string first argument with the regular expression second argument; regular expres-
			   sion syntax is the same as that of The (...) pattern symbols can be used to select a portion of the  first  argument.
			   Otherwise, the matching operator yields the number of characters matched ('0' on failure).

( expr ) 	   parentheses for grouping.

Examples
       The first example adds 1 to the Shell variable a:
       a=`expr $a + 1`
       The second example finds the file name part (least significant part) of the pathname stored in variable a,
       expr $a : '.*/(.*)' '|' $a
       Note the quoted Shell metacharacters.

Diagnostics
       The command returns the following exit codes:

0    The expression is neither null nor '0'.

1    The expression is null or '0'.

2    The expression is invalid.

See Also
       ed(1), sh(1), test(1)

expr(1)