Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support How to prevent emails as spam? Post 302958531 by rbatte1 on Friday 23rd of October 2015 05:30:01 AM
Old 10-23-2015
If there was a flag that could set a flag to say "This is not spam" when sending a message, then every spammer would set it, so it would be of no use. There is nothing you can tag onto the message to say you are legitimate.

As far as I am aware, the rules to whether a message is spam or not may be set at many places in the delivery route. Some organisation filter outgoing mail, some ISPs filter and potentially blacklist mail and those receiving it also will. You will possible have to trace a your message through with the people that manage the various parts to see where it is getting blocked and negotiate for it's release/reclassification.

Of course with a gmail address as the target, this will be very difficult if you can see it leaving your organisation but it still does not arrive.

Sorry to not have better news/suggestions.

Robin

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

how to prevent deadlock on this...

I am using linux termios structure to configure serial port and read the port by read function. For some reason, if I read the whole buffer, almost every time the buffer does not contain the correct reply message sequence from a device sending reply to my linux PC. So I use... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yimab
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating emails

Hi, I posted here 2 months ago, saying I wanted to learn UNIX for my work running a small ISP. I had the problem of practically no technical support for our system. Many courses later, I can just about do everything I need to do. The server is a FreeBSD i386. I can now create email accounts for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ferret495
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

duplicate emails

Hi all new here. Question. My mail server is sending out duplicate emails but its not system wide. We have several virtual host that use our email server and some are having the duplicate emails issue and some are not. For example in the office some people are getting duplicate emails but i am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mcraul
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Emails on HP-UX

Hi Guys I am running Oracle database on HP-UX, every now and then I get emails that are sent to me by root. When check with the sysadmin know one have a clue as to where does the emails come from. I need to stop this emails...how do I check which script is sending me the emails. Thanks ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phuti
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete Old Spam Emails Custom Cron

Hey Guys, I've done some research however I got stuck. My goal is to create a cron job that runs every hour and goes through all web accounts on my server and deletes spam emails that are older than 3 days. This is what I came up with: 0 * * * * find /home/*/mail/*/*/.spam/cur/* -type f... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: plxkarl
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

examples of hyperlinks in emails

Hi All, Im using bash on a sloaris box. I am using mailx to send emails from the unix box to internal email accounts. Does anyone have an example of how I can generate a hyperlink within the email body so that when the recipeint recieves the email, they can click on the link and the link... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: satnamx
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

send emails

hi guys I need to send emails to some accounts 1. I need sendmail up and running right? 2. I need my local sendmail to use an existing SMTP server to send emails (10.x.x.x)? in that case what I need to configure to send emails? since using mail myaccount@companyame.com is not sending emails... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Emails issue

Dear all, I am facing an issue in my data Center environment related to mails being generated by users on my machines. Let me walk you through the issue one by one. Each system (100+ servers in my DC) has a user sysmon on it that sends mails to a specific Email ID. The user runs scripts... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to prevent Accidents 'rm -rf *'?

When invoking unix commands from other third party tools (IBM ETL), we run the rm / mv commands with the folder as argument been passed. Eg rm -rf {folder}/* when the parameter {folder} did not pass rightly or becomes blank, the command becomes dangerous to execute rm -rf /* How to prevent... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakwins
9 Replies
mailexec(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3						       mailexec(1)

NAME
mailexec - run program on messages in mbox file or maildir SYNOPSIS
mailexec [-nvFR] mailbox program [arg ...] DESCRIPTION
mailexec runs a program over every message in mailbox, which must be an mbox-format mail file or maildir directory. For each message encountered, mailexec executes program with the specified arguments, supplying the message as standard input. mailexec synthesizes a "From " line and a "Return-Path:" header field for each message if the message does not already contain one. (This behavior can be modified by the -F and -R flags, described below.) When parsing mbox format files, mailexec unescapes "From " lines. If a line begins with one or more ">" characters followed by "From ", mailexec deletes one of the ">" characters. If you do not want this unescaping behavior, see the formail(1) utility, which has a -s flag that performs a similar function to mailexec. OPTIONS -n When processing a maildir, causes mailexec to look exclusively at "new" messages that have not yet been moved to the cur directory. -v Turns on verbose mode. If mailbox is a maildir, mailexec prints out the name of each file it processes inside the maildir. If mailbox is an mbox format file, mailexec prints the message-id of each message it processes (as long as messages have a message-id header). -F Suppresses printing of the initial "From " line at the beginning of each message. -R Suppresses printing of initial "Return-Path:" lines. EXAMPLES
To get the same behavior as the Unix from(1) command on a mail directory dir, you can run either of the following two commands: mailexec -n dir head -1 mailexec -n dir sed -ne 1p To convert an mbox-format file mbox into a maildir directory dir, you can run: mailexec mbox deliver dir/ Conversely, to convert maildir dir into an mbox-format file mbox, run: mailexec dir deliver mbox To train the spamassassin filter on a mail folder called spam containing unwanted messages, run: mailexec spam sa-learn --spam Note that this works whether spam is an mbox format file or a maildir directory. If you have an old mbox file or maildir directory box and wish to "import" the old mail into your web mail account, say example@gmail.com, you can run: mailexec -F box sendmail example@gmail.com Note again that this works whether box is an mbox format file or a maildir directory. SEE ALSO
avenger(1), deliver(1), dotlock(1), avenger.local(8) The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
When reading from a maildir and synthesizing a "From " line, mailexec guesses the delivery date of the message based on the name of the file, which works in practice but could be considered dangerous since file names in maildirs are supposed to be opaque. Thus, while generally mailexec places sensible dates in "From " lines and processes maildir messages in order of delivery, it might be unwise to rely on this behavior. mailexec generates the time for the "From " line in the local time zone, as is customary on Unix. This could lead to loss of information when transferring mailboxes across time zones or combining mailboxes created in different timezones. Moreover, this practice is incompatible with qmail, which uses GMT in the "From " line. mailexec expects that if there is a "Return-Path:" header field, it will be the first header field in the message (possibly after the initial "From " line, which is not itself a header field). There are many different variants of the mbox message format. mailexec expects the "mboxrd" variant, in which each message is delimited by a "From " line at the beginning and a blank line at the end, and every line beginning with either "From " or one or more ">" characters followed by "From " is escaped by adding another ">" character. In particular, this means mailexec will incorrectly parse System V "mboxcl2" files, which use "Content-Length:" header fields to determine message boundaries rather than "From " lines. mailexec attempts to lock mbox format files, but will execute anyway even if it cannot obtain the lock. This allows it to work on read- only files, but if you are highly unlucky could result in the last message being truncated. There is no locking for maildir files. If a maildir is modified while mailexec is running over it, mailexec could miss messages. If you are concurrently manipulating the maildir with a mail reader, maildir could even miss old messages that just happen to have been moved from the new to the cur directory. mailexec will issue a warning if it fails to open a file that it had previously seen when scanning the directory. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 mailexec(1)