Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Chess Players: Which Online Resources (and Software) Do You Use and Why? Post 302958348 by Neo on Wednesday 21st of October 2015 11:43:29 AM
Old 10-21-2015
Yeah, I've gotten more serious about my over-the-board chess play this year; after abstaining for many years. When i was a "young-buck" chess play decades ago, there were but a few good books and no huge Internet databases and ECO classifications of chess openings and variations. But when I started to recently get back into chess for the fun of a glass of wine with a friend and over-the-board play on a super nice chess board with 60mm squares, I could not help but notice how the world of chess has become so much more interesting with all the on-line databases and all the different approaches to analysis.

As a child, I think learning chess at 5 really helped contribute to a part of my young mental-development and now as an aging guy, I'm finding exploring chess again contributes again, to keeping the mind sharp and not to mention have a beer or glass of wine with a dear friend and playing a "real world" game versus a chess engine is really a nice way to spend the evening!

At chessgames.com for example I can explore an opening that I played over-the-board with a friend as part of the post-analysis of that game, and then when I get to a certain point, I download the PGN file and load it into a chess engine and continue playing a few variations against the computer long after my friend has good home and is off to work the next day.

Or, I can go to the same site and, as a member, search for all Bobby Fischers Najdorf games (in their DB) and download all and load them into my favorite chess engine if I'm in to the mood for "nerd play"..... versus playing with a friend over-the-board.

.. well, I'm interested in what other chess players here think and what they are doing, so that's why i posted this thread; not to bore you with what I'm doing in the chess world these days!

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

info on players

I am using HP-Unix version 11. I could not find any Flash player that gives me a lot of problem while surfing. I would like to know what are all the players and where they are available. :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sskb
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL Online Resources

Could someone suggest some good on-line PERL resources? tutorials and References? Thanks. Gregg (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gdboling
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to practice unix in online without unix software

hi, im new to unix.i dont have unix software in my system. Is there any website is there to practice unix in online can u please any one help me...... thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowridoc
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

RHCE Servers Online Learning Resources..

Anybody knows about any reliable source where i can study Linux servers while sitting at my home. A single bit of information in this regards will be highly appreciated. thanks :-) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: salman103
3 Replies

5. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Linux online training resources

Dear all, I am preparing the RHCE Linux certification and I need to practise, practise and practise linux administration ...I wold be very pleasen if somebody lists here online training resources that can be used in order to prepare any kind of Linux Certification.. Actualy I am following the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: userlinx
1 Replies
TOGA2(6)																  TOGA2(6)

NAME
toga2 - toga2 is a UCI-only chess engine. SYNOPSIS
toga2 DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the toga2 program. toga2 is an UCI-only chess engine. toga2 and other UCI engines can be used with XBoard or WinBoard (or other xboard-compatible interfaces) with the help of PolyGlot (UCI-to-xboard adapter). An other well known frontend is KDE knights, which has a UCI capable interface. OPTIONS
These program does NOT follow the usual GNU command line syntax, but can be fed with options with a personal config file which can be read by the polyglot helper software. The author himself says "You are advised to skip this section unless you are completely crazy about com- puter chess." For a complete description of these UCI commands, see the readme files. SEE ALSO Further documentation in /usr/share/doc/toga2/readme.txt AUTHOR
The base program fruit was written by Fabien Letouzey <fabien_letouzey@hotmail.com> and toga2 by Thomas Gaksch <toga2@gmx.net>. The Source- code including binaries for several architectures can be found at: http://www.uciengines.de/UCI-Engines/TogaII/togaii.html and http://alpha.uhasselt.be/Research/Algebra/Toga/posix_versions/ This manual page was written by Oliver Korff <ok@xynyx.de>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). July 29, 2006 TOGA2(6)