Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: The immortal aioserver
Operating Systems AIX The immortal aioserver Post 302958331 by bakunin on Wednesday 21st of October 2015 10:29:56 AM
Old 10-21-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent.kgb
if you want to see them dead, try to change some parameters in the system ;-)
While this is very true - in fact, the "aio" stands for "Asynchronous I/O" and the processes are controlled by tuning parameters - it is most probably a bad idea to do so on a database system. If memory serves correctly Oracle always requested to have asynchronous I/o switched on during the installation and the performance of the db-writer process greatly suffered when it was switched off.

Anyways, the "aioserver" processes are definitely not reponsible for preventing the unmount of the filesystems, so it won't have any positive effect even if it succeeds (although this, given that they are kernel processes is highly unlikely).

The number, btw., of the main processes is dependent on the number of LCPUs the system has. I suppose your system has 8 CPUs configured and this is why you always see a minimum of 8 processes running.

I hope this helps understanding these processes.

bakunin

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

AIOServer process question

Hi I've been trying to learn a bit more about AIOServer processes and how my company administers them, one question i have is, while checking, most of my servers show a memory overhead of about 448 k per aioserver process (nmon -A) however i have found a few with figures of 67 or 56k. Most... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: philib
0 Replies

2. AIX

aioserver query

Hi Gurus, What is the recommended value for aioserver in aix 5.3 current value is 16384 And used is ps -k|wc -l 4768 We usauslly get issues like slow server performance and query waiting time more etc. Regards newaix (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newaix
2 Replies
UMOUNT.NFS(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     UMOUNT.NFS(8)

NAME
umount.nfs, umount.nfs4 - unmount a Network File System SYNOPSIS
umount.nfs dir [-fvnrlh ] DESCRIPTION
umount.nfs and umount.nfs4 are a part of nfs(5) utilities package, which provides NFS client functionality. umount.nfs4 and umount.nfs are meant to be used by the umount(8) command for unmounting NFS shares. This subcommand, however, can also be used as a standalone command with limited functionality. dir is the directory on which the file system is mounted. OPTIONS
-f Force unmount the file system in case of unreachable NFS system. -v Be verbose. -n Do not update /etc/mtab. By default, an entry is created in /etc/mtab for every mounted file system. Use this option to skip delet- ing an entry. -r In case unmounting fails, try to mount read-only. -l Lazy unmount. Detach the file system from the file system hierarchy now, and cleanup all references to the file system as soon as it is not busy anymore. -h Print help message. NOTE
For further information please refer nfs(5) and umount(8) manual pages. FILES
/etc/fstab file system table /etc/mtab table of mounted file systems SEE ALSO
nfs(5), umount(8), AUTHOR
Amit Gud <agud@redhat.com> 6 Jun 2006 UMOUNT.NFS(8)