Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Combining two lines into one, UNIX Post 302958306 by RavinderSingh13 on Wednesday 21st of October 2015 06:02:48 AM
Old 10-21-2015
Hello Dev,

Could you please try following and let me know if this helps you.
Code:
awk '/<Member/{sub(/</,X,$0);sub(/[[:space:]]+/," ",$0);sub(/=\"/,OFS,$0);sub(/\"/,X,$0);A=$0} /Currency/{sub(/\=\"/,OFS,$0);sub(/\"/,X,$0);print A OFS $0}' OFS=,  Input_file

Output will be as follows.
Code:
Member name,Canada,Currency,CAD
Member name,UK,Currency,GBP
Member name,Switzerland,Currency,CHF
Member name,Germany,Currency,EUR

EDIT: Adding a non one-liner form of solution for same.
Code:
awk '/<Member/{
                sub(/</,X,$0);
                sub(/[[:space:]]+/," ",$0);
                sub(/=\"/,OFS,$0);
                sub(/\"/,X,$0);
                A=$0
              }
     /Currency/{
                sub(/\=\"/,OFS,$0);
                sub(/\"/,X,$0);
                print A OFS $0
               }
    ' OFS=,  Input_file

Thanks,
R. Singh

Last edited by RavinderSingh13; 10-21-2015 at 07:16 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to RavinderSingh13 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining multiple lines

I am fairly new to scripting. But I have been able to extract and format all of my information required into one file. My issue is that one character is on a separate line. I need to be able to add the character to the previous line. ex. abcdefghi 1 bcdefghij 3 cdefghijk 4 need to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DUST
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help appending lines/combining lines within a file...

Is there a way to combine two lines onto a single line...append the following line onto the previous line? I have the following file that contains some blank lines and some lines I would like to append to the previous line... current file: checking dsk c19t2d6 checking dsk c19t2d7 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manny
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help combining lines in awk

I seem to have gotten myself in over my head on this one. I need help combining lines together. I have a text file containing 24,000 lines (exactly why I need awk) due to bad formatting it has separated the lines (ideally it should be 12,000 lines total). Example of file: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blueheed
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

combining lines in files

hey, I want to combine every three lines in a file onto one i.e old file: 82 67 32 62 58 39 29 47 58 27 34 50 27 35 69 38 58 70 new file: 82 67 32 62 58 39 29 47 58 27 34 50 27 25 69 38 58 70 At the moment I am using the following code: gawk 'BEGIN {x=0} { if(x<3)... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: sme
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching thru or combining multiple lines in a unix file

This is the problem actually: This regex: egrep "low debug.*\".*\"" $dbDir/alarmNotification.log is looking for data between the two quotation marks: ".*\" When I hate data like this: low debug 2009/3/9 8:30:20.47 ICSNotificationAlarm Prodics01ics0003 IC... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ndedhia1
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining two text lines into one

Here is the sample file: 646 STARTED Tue Dec 30 06:38:53 2008 Job DdCustXAddr_brad has been reset. 647 STARTED Tue Dec 30 06:38:54 2008 Starting Job DdCustXAddr_brad. (...) 704 STARTED Tue Dec 30 06:49:02 2008 Job DdCustXAddr_brad aborted. I want to combine every non-numbered line... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mfavero
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining many lines to one using awk or any unix cmd

Combining many lines to one using awk or any unix cmd Inputfile: Output : Appreciate help on this. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining lines between two specific lines

Hi, I have a requirement like following: I have input file like: Question: 1 ----Multiple choice--- What is your favourite colour? Options: a) red b) blue c) none of these Question: 2 ---Multiple choice----- In which month did you join your first job? Options: a) Jan b) Feb c)... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppatra
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading two lines in a while loop and combining the lines

Dear all, I have a file like this: imput scaffold_0 1 scaffold_0 10000 scaffold_0 20000 scaffold_0 25000 scaffold_1 1 scaffold_1 10000 scaffold_1 20000 scaffold_1 23283 and I want the output like this: scaffold_0 1 scaffold_0 10000 scaffold_0 10000 scaffold_0 20000... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: valente
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining lines in to one line

Hi Friends, I have a file1.txt 1001 jkilo yrhfm 200056 jhdf rjhwjkrh 3+u8jk5h3 uru ehjk 1002 jkfhk hfjkd 2748395 fdjksfh hefjkh 3hdfk ejkh kjhjke In the above if you see the firt charcter of each line mentioned in red has a pattern . I need to create another file where , the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
6 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgawk | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Volatile | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gawk is available on http://opensolaris.org. Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)