Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Can I change my hostname without messing things up? Post 302958230 by vincent72 on Tuesday 20th of October 2015 10:53:32 AM
Old 10-20-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrix
I noticed my hostname is <my-full-name>s-macbook.local. I'm not sure exactly what information leaves the local network, and whether the hostname is included, but if it is, this would mean people on the Internet can look at my hostname and see who I am. Before anyone says that's not possible, there was a time when someone addressed me by my full name on YouTube, and that was when I was on an account that I had created through a GMail account that didn't have my real name on it, so they must have gotten my real name by looking at my hostname, or at least something similar to that.

So I would like to change my hostname, but I'm not sure if I can do this without messing things up on my local host. I'm afraid if I change things like my IP address or my hostname, I won't be able to use the Internet anymore. Can anyone explain to me how this works? I guess I basically have three questions: 1) Will changing my hostname affect my ability to log onto a network. 2) If so, why? 3) If so, what other information do I need to reconfigure so I can log onto a network again?

Additional information that may be relevant: I have no home network. I always use public WiFi networks.
It won't affect your being able to connect to the internet. It'll just change the name of your machine.

You may want to read this (old) article : Changing your Mac’s Computer Name | OSXDaily or Set the HostName, Computer Name, and Bonjour Name Separately in OS X | OSXDaily

Last edited by vincent72; 10-20-2015 at 12:18 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to vincent72 For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change hostname

Hi, ( running solaris 8 ) I know how to change the hostname temparily, by login in as root typing hostname = xxxxx but, this obviously goes when the system is rebooted. I'm not sure what files need changing to make this a permant change. Could anyone help me please? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishman2001
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change of Hostname

Dear All. I will like to know beside the following command "hostname hostname" what other command that can change the hostname of the Unix. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gelbvonn
4 Replies

3. HP-UX

Change IP and Hostname

Hello.. I wanted to know how to change IP and Hostname on HPUX system, and I don't want to make it as NIS master either. Could someone tell me the files I need to modify and make sure it's on network? Thanks! :o (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: catwomen
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change hostname

Hi, I asked this question whenI was running solaris 8 and got some very good answers. I've just uograded to Solaris 10 and there seems to quite a few changes so I need to know again. https://www.unix.com/showthread.php?t=8547 ------------ Hi (now solaris 10) I know how to change the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishman2001
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris - unknown hostname - how can I change hostname?

Hello, I am new to Solaris. I am using stand alone Solaris 10.0 for test/study purpose and connecting to internet via an ADSL modem which has DHCP server. My Solaris is working on VMWare within winXP. My WinXP and Solaris connects to internet by the same ADSL modem via its DHCP at the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: XNOR
1 Replies

6. Linux

how to change hostname permanentaly

i want to change my hostname permanentaly in my Fedora core 6. could any one tell me how it is possible .... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: useless79
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Change hostname

Hello, I would like to change the hostname on a Linux server (RHEL4). I try different methods in vain : - by using hostname command - by changing /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname But after restarting server, the old hostname re-appears... :confused: And the file ./proc/sys/kernel/hostname... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: madmat
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change HostName

How to change host name in NCR Unix version 3.0 release 4.0 I got the OS version and OS release from executing uname -v and uname -r (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nalina
9 Replies
arp(1M) 																   arp(1M)

NAME
arp - address resolution display and control SYNOPSIS
hostname [system] [system [core]] | hostname filename hostname hw_address rif_address] hostname nport_id DESCRIPTION
The command displays and modifies the Internet-to-Ethernet and Internet-to-Fibre Channel address translation tables used by the Address Resolution Protocol (ARP). Options has the following keyletter options: hostname Display the current ARP entry for hostname, which must appear in the hostname database (see hosts(4)), or for the DARPA Internet address expressed in Internet standard ``dot'' notation. Display all current ARP entries by reading the table from based on the kernel file system (default On PA systems only: if a core argument is supplied, read the table from core instead of The option provides the same information as the option except that network addresses are not displayed symbolically. If an ARP entry exists for the host called hostname, delete it. This option cannot be used to delete a permanent ARP entry whose IP address is an interface on the local system. (Not recommended). Delete a permanent ARP entry whose IP address is an interface on the local system. The removal of such an ARP entry may result in loss or limitation of network connectivity with remote machines. The local system will no longer respond to ARP requests for this IP address. Conse- quently, communication with remote systems is possible only when that communication is initiated by the local system. This option should be used with extreme caution. Read file filename and set multiple entries in the ARP tables. Fibre Channel entries in the file should be of the form: Other entries in the file should be of the form: hostname hw_address rif_address] The argument meanings are the same as for the option. Create an ARP entry for the host called hostname with the hardware station address hw_address. The hardware station address is given as six hexadecimal bytes separated by colons. If an ARP entry already exists for hostname, the existing entry is updated with the new information. The entry is permanent unless the word is given in the command. If the word is specified, the entry is published, which means that this system will act as an ARP server responding to requests for hostname even though the host address is not its own. The word specifies source routing information used for token ring networks. This information allows you to specify the particular bridge route which the token ring packet should be delivered. rif_address is given as an even number of hexa- decimal bytes separated by colons, up to a maximum of 16 bytes. Create a permanent ARP entry for the Fibre Channel host called hostname with the N_Port address nport_id. The N_Port address is given as three hexadecimal bytes separated by colons. If an ARP entry already exists for hostname, the existing entry is updated with the new information. You need superuser privilege to use the and options. See the Neighbor Discovery Protocol (ndp(1M)) for IPv6. AUTHOR
was developed by HP and the University of California, Berkeley. SEE ALSO
ifconfig(1M), inet(3N), hosts(4), arp(7P), ndp(1M). arp(1M)