Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File copy issue in Solaris
Operating Systems Solaris File copy issue in Solaris Post 302957738 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 14th of October 2015 01:01:37 PM
Old 10-14-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by sembii
I used du -sh command to determine the size of the copy. I just found that file size in destination directory is increasing. It was 0K about 30 min ago and now it's 7.2M. So that means I need to check disk read write performance, right?

---------- Post updated at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:45 AM ----------

I found that this issue appeared on only disk from SunStorage M2500M2 array.
Did you read what I said in post #2 in this thread?

You haven't told us anything that would allow us to guess what, if anything, is wrong:
  1. How big is the source_file?
  2. Exactly what command are you using to copy the file?
  3. Exactly what du command did you use to check the destination_file size? Why didn't you use ls -l instead of du to check the destination_file size?
  4. Are the source and destination files on the same filesystem?
  5. Did the command you are using to copy the file complete? If so, what was its exit status? What diagnostic messages did it produce?
  6. Are the sizes from du -s destination_file and ls -l destination_file consistent?
  7. Are any diagnostics being written to the system consoles (or error logs) while the file is being copied on the source system and on the destination system? (Any diagnostics; not just disk problems.)
  8. What operating systems (including versions) are being run on the source and destination systems?
  9. What makes you think you have disk read/write performance problems as opposed to network performance problems?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy from Solaris to HyperTerm

Hello, I try to copy a small file e.g. /etc/hosts from my workstation to my office Pc via serial cable on Port b. (/dev/term/b) But I donīt now how! On the Pc I can only use the HyperTerm on NT because this is the released software. There is an option to send or receive data but i have no idea... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: joerg
11 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

on solaris best utility to copy a file system?

Hi, - on a solaris box what is the best utility to copy a whole file system from one place to other? - the aim of the operation is to place the contents of the whole file system to other file system within the discs cp ? - cpio? - tar? - what about file systemes containing symbolic links ?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JAKEZ
1 Replies

3. Solaris

need to copy file from solaris to windows

Hi my OS is solaris 9 , we have requirement to copy 1 file from solaris box to windows machine , so which utility or commands any idea will be appreciated Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maooah
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue with the copy command

Hi, I was copying a bunch of files from one folder to another.. while copy command was running i pressed 'ctrl C'...now these files are not present in the parent directory nor in the target folder... :eek: Where can find these files... Is there any way to get this files back.. :confused:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amey Joshi
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Solaris KSH shell script to copy all lines from one file to another

Hello, more of a windows wscript guy. However I took a new position that requires me to support some solaris servers. So... issue is that I need to copy all lines from a file to a temporary file and then copy them back into the original file starting at line 1. Reason I need to do this is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ZigZaggin
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unzipping a file in Solaris - Issue with xls file

Hi, I have an excel file generated by system in windows. I am zipping it, transfering to unix and unzipping there. But i'm getting below output while unzipping. $ /usr/bin/unzip -a 123.zip -d . Archive: 123.zip inflating: ./123/Index.xls When i copy this unzipped xls file to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaykumarb
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue with Reflection - text copy beyond screen.

Hi, Gretings, While viewing the contents of a file using more/cat in Reflection, I am neither able to see the text beyond the width of screen, nor able to type it as well. I have tried changing windows settings also, but of no vail. Even if I cat/more a file and try to copy its contents, it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dipanchandra
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to copy the directory but not copy certain file

Hi experts cp bin root src /mnt but not copy bin/bigfile any help? ( I post this thread in the "redhat" forum wrongly, I don't know how to withdraw that question in that wrong forum) Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with copy command

Hi, I have a shell script which is having copy command. My need is to copy all the files in a directory into its subdirectory. My directory structure is like this. Dir1 file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt subDir1 subDir1 is a subdirectory in Dir1. Now I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yuvi
2 Replies
ddi_device_copy(9F)					   Kernel Functions for Drivers 				       ddi_device_copy(9F)

NAME
ddi_device_copy - copy data from one device register to another device register SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/ddi.h> #include <sys/sunddi.h> int ddi_device_copy(ddi_acc_handle_t src_handle, caddr_t src_addr, ssize_t src_advcnt, ddi_acc_handle_t dest_handle, caddr_t dest_addr, ssize_t dest_advcnt, size_t bytecount, uint_t dev_datasz); INTERFACE LEVEL
Solaris DDI specific (Solaris DDI). PARAMETERS
src_handle The data access handle of the source device. src_addr Base data source address. src_advcnt Number of dev_datasz units to advance on every access. dest_handle The data access handle of the destination device. dest_addr Base data destination address. dest_advcnt Number of dev_datasz units to advance on every access. bytecount Number of bytes to transfer. dev_datasz The size of each data word. Possible values are defined as: DDI_DATA_SZ01_ACC 1 byte data size DDI_DATA_SZ02_ACC 2 bytes data size DDI_DATA_SZ04_ACC 4 bytes data size DDI_DATA_SZ08_ACC 8 bytes data size DESCRIPTION
ddi_device_copy() copies bytecount bytes from the source address, src_addr, to the destination address, dest_addr. The attributes encoded in the access handles, src_handle and dest_handle, govern how data is actually copied from the source to the destination. Only matching data sizes between the source and destination are supported. Data will automatically be translated to maintain a consistent view between the source and the destination. The translation may involve byte-swapping if the source and the destination devices have incompatible endian characteristics. The src_advcnt and dest_advcnt arguments specifies the number of dev_datasz units to advance with each access to the device addresses. A value of 0 will use the same source and destination device address on every access. A positive value increments the corresponding device address by certain number of data size units in the next access. On the other hand, a negative value decrements the device address. The dev_datasz argument determines the size of the data word on each access. The data size must be the same between the source and destina- tion. RETURN VALUES
ddi_device_copy() returns: DDI_SUCCESS Successfully transferred the data. DDI_FAILURE The byte count is not a multiple dev_datasz. CONTEXT
ddi_device_copy() can be called from user, kernel, or interrupt context. SEE ALSO
ddi_regs_map_free(9F), ddi_regs_map_setup(9F) Writing Device Drivers SunOS 5.11 15 Nov 1996 ddi_device_copy(9F)