Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash shell script not working-picking segment patterns from a file Post 302957530 by RudiC on Monday 12th of October 2015 01:29:04 PM
Old 10-12-2015
What exactly is "not working"? Error messages? Empty result files? Dth. else?

---------- Post updated at 19:29 ---------- Previous update was at 19:19 ----------

Plus, what system & shell are you using?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

if loop not working in BASH shell

i have this code for a simple if loop: #!/bin/bash array="1 2 3 4 5" array2="5 6 7 8 9" if } -gt ${array} ]; then echo "${array2} is greater than ${array}!!" fi the error is ./script8: line 9: [: too many arguments ./script8: line 9: [: too many arguments ./script8: line 9: [:... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to format file based on specific patterns

Please help me out and drag me out the deadlock I am stuck into: I have a file. I want the statements under a if...then condition be listed in a separate file in the manner condition|statement.Following are the different input pattern and corresponding output parameters.any generic code to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: joyan321
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Picking high and low variables in a bash script - possible?

Is it possible to have a bash script pick the highest and lowest values of four variables? I've been googling for this but haven't come up with anything. I have a script that assigns variables ($c0, $c1, $c2, and $c3) based on the coretemps from grep/sed statements of sensors. I'd like to also... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: graysky
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Working in new IP segment, But Product configured with another IP??

Dear all, We have installed one of our product in a HP PC server(DL380G5)/SUSE 10 SP1 (2 network cards) with an IP address 10.18.7.25. The Product is working fine. Now for giving a internet based demo, we have moved to a different network(192.168.50.*) For the demo, we want to use... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagannathks
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

export not working in Bash shell

Hi Friends, I am presently migrating shell scripts writter in KSH to SH.I am stuck at this place and i am not able to find a work around:- Let the script name is x.sh Below are some of the codes in it... export abc=hello export abc=hi export abc=how When i am trying to compile the script ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit.behera
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux/bash Script only working if executed from shell prompt

Hi, maybe I'm asking a VERY dumb question, but would anybody out there tell me, why this f****** script won't work if executed as a cronjob, but works fine if executed from a shell prompt? #! /bin/bash set PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin date >>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: beislhur
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Aliases NOT working inside bash shell script

i have defined a function ln_s() for customizing the ln command in script1.sh. more script1.sh echo "Starting Execution" ./script2.sh echo "End of Execution" ln_s(){ ] && return ln -s "$1" "$2" } My script1.sh executes another script2.sh which has the following entry more script2.sh... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - Find files excluding file patterns and subfolder patterns

Hello. For a given folder, I want to select any files find $PATH1 -f \( -name "*" but omit any files like pattern name ! -iname "*.jpg" ! -iname "*.xsession*" ..... \) and also omit any subfolder like pattern name -type d \( -name "/etc/gconf/gconf.*" -o -name "*cache*" -o -name "*Cache*" -o... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Picking up filenames then moving to next directory

I have a collection of directories, for example as below I want to create a loop that goes in the first directory and picks up the *hhz*.sac.pzs filename in a variable, and the other files matching *hhz*.sac in another variable (however I do not want to pick the *hhz*.sac.pzs). This is because... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Passing Arguments to shell script from file is not working as expected.

Hi All, I have below simple shell script in cloudera quick start vm cenos 6 which copy file from source to destination. # file_copy.sh source_dir = ${source_dir} target = ${target_dir} cp source_dir target and my parameter file is like below #parameter_file.txt source_dir =... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narasimhasss
4 Replies
GIT-SH-SETUP(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-SH-SETUP(1)

NAME
git-sh-setup - Common git shell script setup code SYNOPSIS
. "$(git --exec-path)/git-sh-setup" DESCRIPTION
This is not a command the end user would want to run. Ever. This documentation is meant for people who are studying the Porcelain-ish scripts and/or are writing new ones. The git sh-setup scriptlet is designed to be sourced (using .) by other shell scripts to set up some variables pointing at the normal git directories and a few helper shell functions. Before sourcing it, your script should set up a few variables; USAGE (and LONG_USAGE, if any) is used to define message given by usage() shell function. SUBDIRECTORY_OK can be set if the script can run from a subdirectory of the working tree (some commands do not). The scriptlet sets GIT_DIR and GIT_OBJECT_DIRECTORY shell variables, but does not export them to the environment. FUNCTIONS
die exit after emitting the supplied error message to the standard error stream. usage die with the usage message. set_reflog_action set the message that will be recorded to describe the end-user action in the reflog, when the script updates a ref. git_editor runs an editor of user's choice (GIT_EDITOR, core.editor, VISUAL or EDITOR) on a given file, but error out if no editor is specified and the terminal is dumb. is_bare_repository outputs true or false to the standard output stream to indicate if the repository is a bare repository (i.e. without an associated working tree). cd_to_toplevel runs chdir to the toplevel of the working tree. require_work_tree checks if the current directory is within the working tree of the repository, and otherwise dies. require_work_tree_exists checks if the working tree associated with the repository exists, and otherwise dies. Often done before calling cd_to_toplevel, which is impossible to do if there is no working tree. require_clean_work_tree <action> [<hint>] checks that the working tree and index associated with the repository have no uncommitted changes to tracked files. Otherwise it emits an error message of the form Cannot <action>: <reason>. <hint>, and dies. Example: require_clean_work_tree rebase "Please commit or stash them." get_author_ident_from_commit outputs code for use with eval to set the GIT_AUTHOR_NAME, GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL and GIT_AUTHOR_DATE variables for a given commit. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.7.10.4 11/24/2012 GIT-SH-SETUP(1)