Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Password policy for root
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Password policy for root Post 302957493 by suresh3566 on Monday 12th of October 2015 08:15:12 AM
Old 10-12-2015
Debian Password policy for root

Hi,

I am unable to enforce password complexity policy for root user. (other users are working) on RHEL 6.2. Anything wrong with system-auth parameters? PLease help..

Code:
vi /etc/pam.d/system-auth

#%PAM-1.0
# This file is auto-generated.
# User changes will be destroyed the next time authconfig is run.
auth        required      pam_tally2.so deny=5 onerr=fail no_magic_root
auth        required      pam_env.so
auth        sufficient    pam_fprintd.so
auth        sufficient    pam_unix.so nullok try_first_pass
auth        requisite     pam_succeed_if.so uid >= 500 quiet
auth        required      pam_deny.so

account     required      pam_unix.so
account     sufficient    pam_localuser.so
account     required      pam_tally2.so
account     sufficient    pam_succeed_if.so uid < 500 quiet
account     required      pam_permit.so

password    requisite     pam_cracklib.so try_first_pass retry=3 minlen=8 lcredit=-1 ucredit=-1 dcredit=-1 ocredit=-1 difok=4 type=
password    sufficient    pam_unix.so sha512 shadow nullok try_first_pass use_authtok remember=5
password    required      pam_deny.so

session     optional      pam_keyinit.so revoke
session     required      pam_limits.so
session     [success=1 default=ignore] pam_succeed_if.so service in crond quiet use_uid
session     required      pam_unix.so

Last edited by Don Cragun; 10-12-2015 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: Add CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris 8 - Asks for current root password when trying to change root password.

Hello All, I have several solaris boxes running Solaris 8. When changing root passwords on them, all will simply ask for the new root password to change and of course to re-type the new password. One of the systems however asks for the existing root password before it will display the new password... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tferrazz
8 Replies

2. Solaris

Password policy problem ??

Hi Solaris's expert I need to change user password on Solaris10 2 servers. With the same password I can change it just only one. Try to check everything but not found difference?? password pattern: abcdeFgh9Jk server1 check all characters but server2 check only first 8 characters.Why??... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: arm_naja
10 Replies

3. Red Hat

Shadow file password policy

Today i was going through some of security guides written on linux . Under shadow file security following points were mentioned. 1)The encrypted password stored under /etc/shadow file should have more than 14-25 characters. 2)Usernames in shadow file must satisfy to all the same rules as... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
14 Replies

4. Red Hat

NIS password policy

Hi, I am running NIS server on redhat linux 5 and I want to implement password restrictions for the yppasswd, how can I do it.Please help me. I can implement password restriction for passwd by configuring /etc/pam.d/system-auth and setting crack_lib.so but I don't know how to implent the same... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ktrimu
3 Replies

5. Solaris

password policy for new user

hi folk, i try to setup a new password policy for our solaris box user, below are the /etc/default/passwd/, but then when i tried to create a user, it didn't ask for numeric character, and the new password also didn't ask for special characters. # useradd testing # passwd testing New... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dehetoxic
7 Replies

6. Ubuntu

User and Password Policy

Hi linux expert, i would like to create a script for listing all user with there password policy. It should be in the following format: Last password change : Sep 19, 2011 Password expires : never Password inactive : never Account... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yprudent
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

Password Policy description

Hi Experts, i would like to know the description of the following: Minimum: 0 Maximum: 90 Warning: 7 Inactive: -1 Last Change: Never Password Expires: Never Password Inactive: Never Account Expires: Never Does this means that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yprudent
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris and PAM Password policy

Hello All, I have Sun DSEE7 (11g) on Solaris 10. I have run idsconfig and initialized ldap client with profile created using idsconfig. My ldap authentication works. Here is my pam.conf # Authentication management # # login service (explicit because of pam_dial_auth) # login ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandu345
3 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Password Expiration Policy

Hello Team, I am using Lubuntu & have DRBL remote boot setup with open Ldap authentication. Currently there is no password expire policy. I want to set Password Policy so that user's password will expire after a month & they will get prompt to change their password. Using PAM we can do it,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paragnehete
1 Replies

10. AIX

Password Policy

I need help. I have set a password policy. But I want to dis allow setting user name as password. My policy is as below... min length =8 min diff=2 min alpha=2 max repeats=2 dictionary= /usr/share/dict/words Still user can set his username as password (i.e. Jackie1234). Code tags for... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: powerAIX
11 Replies
dsenableroot(8) 					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					   dsenableroot(8)

NAME
dsenableroot -- enables or disables the root account. SYNOPSIS
dsenableroot [-d] [-u username] [-p password] [-r rootPassword] DESCRIPTION
dsenableroot sets the password for the root account if enabling the root user account. Otherwise, if disable [-d] is chosen, the root account passwords are removed and the root user is disabled. A list of flags and their descriptions: -u username Username of a user that has administrative privileges on this computer. -p password Password to use in conjunction with the specified username. If this is not specified, you will be prompted for entry. -r rootPassword Password to be used for the root account. If this is not specified for enabling, you will be prompted for entry. EXAMPLES
-dsenableroot Your username will be used and you will be queried for both your password and the new root password to be set to enable the root account. -dsenableroot -d Your username will be used and you will be queried for only your password to disable the root account. -dsenableroot -u username -p userpassword -r rootpassword The supplied arguments will be used to enable the root account. -dsenableroot -d -u username -p userpassword The supplied arguments will be used to disable the root account. Mac OS August 08 2003 Mac OS