Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers New user to own files made by root? Post 302957402 by alanford on Saturday 10th of October 2015 09:41:28 AM
Old 10-10-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
What group is /var/www assigned to? Make marco belong to that group as well.
And, of course, chmod /var/www accordingly.
Hi, thank you for answer,
/var/www/html folder belongs to the user "apache/www-data" and to the group "root".
therefore, I assigned user proftpd (marco, whatever) to the group root and after that I tried to create folder and files, I could do it only in html folder, not outside of it. that's what I wanted.
to change files everywhere, i can use sftp instead of ftp, sftp let me to login as root and change and create files anywhere in the system. I tried it now with winscp and filezilla and it works. when I login as proftpd I can change files only in /var/www/html

for people who need the same solution, use next commands, just change proftpd with your parameters, marco, proftpd, anything, adapt it to your case:
Code:
# if you want to list all groups in your system:
cut -d: -f1 /etc/group
ls -ld html #to check information about folder html
usermod -a -G root proftpd # to assign user proftpd to the group root
# you can check it then with command:
id proftpd # in my case the result:
uid=109(proftpd) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)
id -Gn proftpd #another method to check which group belong user proftpd, in my case result was:
root
chmod -R g+w html #to allow proftpd from the group to create new directories and files inside of folder html.

this topic can be marked as solved.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting root files from another user

I want to delete some files and directories owned by root from another different user in HP-UX 10.20. The list of files looks like: (user test) bash-2.03$ ls -alrt total 20 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: choo
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Other than root user .Normal user is unable to create files

Hi all, I am using Sun Solaris 9 .In this system normal users unable to create files from the command line.I added these users in bin,adm and even root group i found them unable to create a file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mallesh
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

monitor changes made by root

Is there any way in Solaris 9 to monitor changes made to user accounts by root? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptarg
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to : Identify changes made with root ?

Thanks Avklinux (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: avklinux
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to allow access to some commands having root privleges to be run bu non root user

hi i am new to unix and i have abig task. i have to \run particular commands having root privileges from a non root user. i know sudo is one of the way but i need sum other approach kindly help Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryashikha
5 Replies

6. AIX

find command to list all the 777 files and directories owned by root user

Hi I'm logged in to an AIX box now and we need to do an audit on this box. cbssapr01:# pwd / Which command will show all the files and directories owned by root user with permissions as 777 ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sudo to delegate permission from non-root user to another non-root user

I've been through many threads before i decide to create a separate thread. I can't really find the solution to my (simple) problem. Here's what I'm trying to achieve: As "canar" user I want to run a command, let's say "/opt/ocaml/bin/ocaml" as "duck" user. The only to achieve this is to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: canar
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Root and non-root user not able to delete the file

Hi!! one strange problem occurred with my RHEL 5 box. i'm having logs folder with ownership of non-root user. Created some files with root user under logs folder. here is the scene: -rw-r----- 1 root root 1048227 Feb 28 12:34 SystemOut_13.02.28_12.34.10.log -rw-r----- 1 root root ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukhdip
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to give root access to non root user?

Currently in my system Red Hat is installed. And Many user connect to my machine via SSH Techia Terminal. I want to give some users a root level access. Can anyone please help me how to make it possible. I too searched on the Google but didn't find the correct way Regards ADI (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adisky123
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

[Tip] Housekeeping Tasks Made Easy - User Home directories and Leftover Files

We have regularly questions about how to create users and user accounts. But regularly user accounts need to be deleted too. It is quite easy to delete the user account itself but usually the HOME directory of the user remains. It is good style to remove these directories but simply deleting... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
3 Replies
ftptop(1)						      General Commands Manual							 ftptop(1)

NAME
ftptop - display running status on proftpd server connections SYNOPSIS
ftptop DESCRIPTION
The ftptop command displays the current status of FTP sessions in a continuously updating top like format. OPTIONS
-A Filter the display to show sessions that are authenticating. -a Filter the display to hide sessions that are authenticating. -D Filter the display to show sessions that are downloading. -S Specify the ServerName for a specific virtual host. If used, ftptop will only show sessions for the given virtual host. -d Specify the delay, in seconds, between display refreshes. The default is 2 seconds. Only values between 0 and 15 seconds are accepted. -f Specify the full path to proftpd's run-time scoreboard file (configured via the ScoreboardFile directive in proftpd.conf). If proftpd's default directory has been changed via this directive, ftptop must either be recompiled or this option must be used in order to find proftpd's scoreboard. -h Display a short usage description, including all available options. -I Filter the display to show sessions that are idle. -i Filter the display to hide sessions that are idle. -U Filter the display to show sessions that are uploading. -V Print out the version of ftptop and quit. While ftptop is running, hit the 'q' key to quit. The 't' key toggles between display modes. Currently there are two display modes: nor- mal and transfer speed modes. FILES
/usr/bin/ftptop /var/run/proftpd.scoreboard AUTHORS
ProFTPD is written and maintained by a number of people, full credits can be found on http://www.proftpd.org/credits.html SEE ALSO
inetd(8),ftp(1),proftpd(8),ftpwho(1),ftptop(1),ftpshut(8) Full documentation on ProFTPD, including configuration and FAQs, is available at http://www.proftpd.org/ For help/support, try the ProFTPD mailing lists, detailed on http://www.proftpd.org/lists.html Report bugs at http://bugs.proftpd.org/ March 2003 ftptop(1)