Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Customized command excution
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Customized command excution Post 302957316 by RudiC on Friday 9th of October 2015 05:41:57 AM
Old 10-09-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInGermany
In a shell with job control you can do
Code:
kill %1

and a reused PID won't be killed.
Good idea, but there may be several background jobs - use %%, %+, %command-1, or % instead.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

mailing customized and formatted ls -lt command output

I'm trying to write a script to email the output of 'ls -lt' command that are 30 days old along with headers for eg. like owner, date, timestamp and a portion of some special character files like 'slfpay$/#:032508AA' in /home/test directory, I just want the numbers from the last field ($9), also... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbak
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

xterm closing automatically after command excution

Hi, I have a commands in a file called commands.file, I am using this file with the following commnad xterm -e "commands.file" After executing this file in the new xterm, it is closing automatically. I want to use that xterm after that. Please help me regarding this? :) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaitubek
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

To find the time of excution of a particular unix command

Hi experts, It would be grateful if you can guide me on the following, 1.How to find the time of excution of a particular unix command. 2. How to find the terminal (IP Address) from where that particular unix command was excuted. 3. How to find the user who executed that particular unix... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: apsprabhu
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Customized copy.

HI guys, I'm working on a code with the following specs: 1. Retrieving files with a particular extensions from a location specified by the users. 2. Copying those files to user specified location i) but i need to pause copy if the network is busy ii) and the copy process must... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bill88
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can nmon be customized?

Hi, my name is Steve Ngai from Malaysia. This is my first post. Hope to learn more about Unix from this forum. My first question is can nmon be customized? When I run nmon, I need to manually type c to see CPU usage, then m for memory usage. Can I pass it some nmon option to automatically see... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngaisteve1
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

parallel excution for 2000 files.

Hi, I have a function abc(). i am calling the function 9 times. it is working fine and completed the script execution 10 hours. input files: CUSTOMER_INFO_1111_12345.csv CUSTOMER_INFO_1222_12345.csv CUSTOMER_INFO_1322_12345.csv CUSTOMER_INFO_1333_12345.csv CUSTOMER_INFO_1151_12345.csv... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: onesuri
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Excution Problems with loading huge data content and convert it

Hi, I got long list of referred file content: CGTGCFTGCGTFREDG PEOGDKGJDGKLJGKL DFGDSFIODUFIODSUF FSDOFJSODIFJSIODFJ DSFSDFDFSDOFJFOSF SDFOSDJFOJFPPIPIOP . . . Input file content: >sample_1 SDFDSKLFKDSLSDFSDFDFGDSFIODUFIODSUFSDDSFDSSDFDSFAS (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
14 Replies

8. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

customized username?

Hi i have registered but my username is set to default value ( my email). can i change this ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: customizeemai
2 Replies

9. Linux

clarification for cmd excution

Hi Code: nohup sar -u 10 $COUNT | awk 'NR>2 {$2=$4=$7="";}1' | tr -s ' ' '\t' 2>/dev/null >sar.out & i have execute above line from shell script .. but sar.out is created with ZERO bite size.. Help on that what is the problem here (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mani_apr08
1 Replies

10. Programming

Expext Script excution problem..

Hey Guys , iam trying to match to string in TCL scripts but it not working . Its only working true condition to print yes.. When condtion fail then even it prints YES Any suggestion this ?? if {} { puts"yes" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hackerdilli
3 Replies
wait(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           wait(1)

NAME
wait - await process completion SYNOPSIS
/bin/sh wait [pid...] /bin/jsh /bin/ksh /usr/xpg4/bin/sh wait [pid...] wait [ % jobid...] /bin/csh wait DESCRIPTION
The shell itself executes wait, without creating a new process. If you get the error message cannot fork,too many processes, try using the wait command to clean up your background processes. If this doesn't help, the system process table is probably full or you have too many active foreground processes. There is a limit to the number of process IDs associated with your login, and to the number the system can keep track of. Not all the processes of a pipeline with three or more stages are children of the shell, and thus cannot be waited for. /bin/sh, /bin/jsh Wait for your background process whose process ID is pid and report its termination status. If pid is omitted, all your shell's currently active background processes are waited for and the return code will be 0. The wait utility accepts a job identifier, when Job Control is enabled (jsh), and the argument, jobid, is preceded by a percent sign (%). If pid is not an active process ID, the wait utility will return immediately and the return code will be 0. csh Wait for your background processes. ksh When an asynchronous list is started by the shell, the process ID of the last command in each element of the asynchronous list becomes known in the current shell execution environment. If the wait utility is invoked with no operands, it will wait until all process IDs known to the invoking shell have terminated and exit with an exit status of 0. If one or more pid or jobid operands are specified that represent known process IDs (or jobids), the wait utility will wait until all of them have terminated. If one or more pid or jobid operands are specified that represent unknown process IDs (or jobids), wait will treat them as if they were known process IDs (or jobids) that exited with exit status 127. The exit status returned by the wait utility will be the exit status of the process requested by the last pid or jobid operand. The known process IDs are applicable only for invocations of wait in the current shell execution environment. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: One of the following: pid The unsigned decimal integer process ID of a command, for which the utility is to wait for the termination. jobid A job control job ID that identifies a background process group to be waited for. The job control job ID notation is applicable only for invocations of wait in the current shell execution environment, and only on systems supporting the job control option. USAGE
On most implementations, wait is a shell built-in. If it is called in a subshell or separate utility execution environment, such as one of the following, (wait) nohup wait ... find . -exec wait ... ; it will return immediately because there will be no known process IDs to wait for in those environments. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Using A Script To Identify The Termination Signal Although the exact value used when a process is terminated by a signal is unspecified, if it is known that a signal terminated a process, a script can still reliably figure out which signal is using kill, as shown by the following (/bin/ksh and /usr/xpg4/bin/sh): sleep 1000& pid=$! kill -kill $pid wait $pid echo $pid was terminated by a SIG$(kill -l $(($?-128))) signal. Example 2: Returning The Exit Status Of A Process If the following sequence of commands is run in less than 31 seconds (/bin/ksh and /usr/xpg4/bin/sh): sleep 257 | sleep 31 & jobs -l %% then either of the following commands will return the exit status of the second sleep in the pipeline: wait <pid of sleep 31> wait %% ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of wait: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), jobs(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 12 Dec 1997 wait(1)