Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Process remians in Running state causing other similar process to sleep and results to system hang Post 302957245 by Corona688 on Thursday 8th of October 2015 11:31:18 AM
Old 10-08-2015
Actually -- your kernel is old enough that it's using LinuxThreads instead of modern NPTL. LinuxThreads had an irreparable design flaw which led to its abandonment and replacement by NPTL. Under some circumstances, control signals between processes overflow and are simply lost, causing hanging/stuck processes strikingly similar to this. I had the same problem, way way back in the day. Ancient history now, unless you're using a 15 year old kernel.

You need to upgrade your kernel.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

my process is going to sleep mode after 12 hours but i need my process in in firsy pr

hi all I process is sleeping after 12 hours but i need to be run this to 24 hours but it goes in sleep mode after 12 hours what should i do to make process always running.Kindly give me suggestion. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukesh_rakesh1
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to start a process and make it sleep for 5 mins and then kill that process

how to start a process and make it sleep for 5 mins and then kill that process (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shrao
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change the system account that a process is running on?

I'm running an Apache server on Ubuntu. When I try to call fopen() in PHP, I get a bunch of permission errors. I searched for advice on this, and I found that I needed to change the system account that Apache runs on. However, I'm not sure how to do this, and I was unable to find the answer on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gloriac991
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

make a foreground running process to run background without hang up

I've tried this a long time ago and was successful but could not remember how i did it. Tried ctrl+Z and then used bg % could not figure what i did after to keep it no hangup - not sure if used nohup -p pid, can u plz help me out if this can be done. Any help will be appreciated. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharos467
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to monitor process running on server and posting a mail if any process is dead

Hello all, I would be happy if any one could help me with a shell script that would determine all the processes running on a Unix server and post a mail if any of the process is not running or aborted. Thanks in advance Regards, pradeep kulkarni. :mad: (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepmacha
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Kill process which is in hang state

Hi, Can anyone help to create a script that will kill the process which is in hang state. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: A.Santhosh
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

How to find the process which is caused system hung state?

when system is hung state due to swap, we will reboot it through ILO. i want to know which process caused system hung. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Naveen.6025
1 Replies

8. BSD

Process remians in Running state causing other similar process to sleep and results to system hang

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveeng
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Process remians in Running state causing other similar process to sleep and results to system hang

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naveeng
1 Replies
NPTL(7) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   NPTL(7)

NAME
nptl - Native POSIX Threads Library DESCRIPTION
NPTL (Native POSIX Threads Library) is the GNU C library POSIX threads implementation that is used on modern Linux systems. NPTL and signals NPTL makes internal use of the first two real-time signals (signal numbers 32 and 33). One of these signals is used to support thread can- cellation and POSIX timers (see timer_create(2)); the other is used as part of a mechanism that ensures all threads in a process always have the same UIDs and GIDs, as required by POSIX. These signals cannot be used in applications. To prevent accidental use of these signals in applications, which might interfere with the operation of the NPTL implementation, various glibc library functions and system call wrapper functions attempt to hide these signals from applications, as follows: * SIGRTMIN is defined with the value 34 (rather than 32). * The sigwaitinfo(2), sigtimedwait(2), and sigwait(3) interfaces silently ignore requests to wait for these two signals if they are speci- fied in the signal set argument of these calls. * The sigprocmask(2) and pthread_sigmask(3) interfaces silently ignore attempts to block these two signals. * The sigaction(2), pthread_kill(3), and pthread_sigqueue(3) interfaces fail with the error EINVAL (indicating an invalid signal number) if these signals are specified. * sigfillset(3) does not include these two signals when it creates a full signal set. NPTL and process credential changes At the Linux kernel level, credentials (user and group IDs) are a per-thread attribute. However, POSIX requires that all of the POSIX threads in a process have the same credentials. To accommodate this requirement, the NPTL implementation wraps all of the system calls that change process credentials with functions that, in addition to invoking the underlying system call, arrange for all other threads in the process to also change their credentials. The implementation of each of these system calls involves the use of a real-time signal that is sent (using tgkill(2)) to each of the other threads that must change its credentials. Before sending these signals, the thread that is changing credentials saves the new creden- tial(s) and records the system call being employed in a global buffer. A signal handler in the receiving thread(s) fetches this informa- tion and then uses the same system call to change its credentials. Wrapper functions employing this technique are provided for setgid(2), setuid(2), setegid(2), seteuid(2), setregid(2), setreuid(2), setres- gid(2), setresuid(2), and setgroups(2). CONFORMING TO
For details of the conformance of NPTL to the POSIX standard, see pthreads(7). NOTES
POSIX says that any thread in any process with access to the memory containing a process-shared (PTHREAD_PROCESS_SHARED) mutex can operate on that mutex. However, on 64-bit x86 systems, the mutex definition for x86-64 is incompatible with the mutex definition for i386, meaning that 32-bit and 64-bit binaries can't share mutexes on x86-64 systems. SEE ALSO
credentials(7), pthreads(7), signal(7), standards(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2015-08-08 NPTL(7)