Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers New user to own files made by root? Post 302957230 by alanford on Thursday 8th of October 2015 10:23:13 AM
Old 10-08-2015
New user to own files made by root?

Hi,
when I installed debian 8, all files are created and owned by root, when I add new user, for example marco, he can't create directory or change files created by root. I tried with ftp, permission denied.

so, I am interested how to grant to user marco ownership of all files in the system so he can make directories, files, change existing files (owned by root), etc?

I tried to add marco in /etc/sudoers ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL the same as root, but it didn't help. I added also user marco to the root group but again the same situation.

I must use another user, because proftpd refuses root, they/developers got idea that all people will have sever with 100 users and I just want one ftp user (root), but proftpd refuses root user. now I must use marco or proftpd user and grant to that user ownership of all files in the system.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting root files from another user

I want to delete some files and directories owned by root from another different user in HP-UX 10.20. The list of files looks like: (user test) bash-2.03$ ls -alrt total 20 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: choo
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Other than root user .Normal user is unable to create files

Hi all, I am using Sun Solaris 9 .In this system normal users unable to create files from the command line.I added these users in bin,adm and even root group i found them unable to create a file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mallesh
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

monitor changes made by root

Is there any way in Solaris 9 to monitor changes made to user accounts by root? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptarg
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to : Identify changes made with root ?

Thanks Avklinux (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: avklinux
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to allow access to some commands having root privleges to be run bu non root user

hi i am new to unix and i have abig task. i have to \run particular commands having root privileges from a non root user. i know sudo is one of the way but i need sum other approach kindly help Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryashikha
5 Replies

6. AIX

find command to list all the 777 files and directories owned by root user

Hi I'm logged in to an AIX box now and we need to do an audit on this box. cbssapr01:# pwd / Which command will show all the files and directories owned by root user with permissions as 777 ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sudo to delegate permission from non-root user to another non-root user

I've been through many threads before i decide to create a separate thread. I can't really find the solution to my (simple) problem. Here's what I'm trying to achieve: As "canar" user I want to run a command, let's say "/opt/ocaml/bin/ocaml" as "duck" user. The only to achieve this is to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: canar
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Root and non-root user not able to delete the file

Hi!! one strange problem occurred with my RHEL 5 box. i'm having logs folder with ownership of non-root user. Created some files with root user under logs folder. here is the scene: -rw-r----- 1 root root 1048227 Feb 28 12:34 SystemOut_13.02.28_12.34.10.log -rw-r----- 1 root root ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukhdip
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to give root access to non root user?

Currently in my system Red Hat is installed. And Many user connect to my machine via SSH Techia Terminal. I want to give some users a root level access. Can anyone please help me how to make it possible. I too searched on the Google but didn't find the correct way Regards ADI (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adisky123
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

[Tip] Housekeeping Tasks Made Easy - User Home directories and Leftover Files

We have regularly questions about how to create users and user accounts. But regularly user accounts need to be deleted too. It is quite easy to delete the user account itself but usually the HOME directory of the user remains. It is good style to remove these directories but simply deleting... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
3 Replies
UPDATE-XMLCATALOG(8)						     xml-core						      UPDATE-XMLCATALOG(8)

NAME
update-xmlcatalog - maintain XML catalog files SYNOPSIS
update-xmlcatalog --add --root --package package --type type --id id update-xmlcatalog --del --root --package package --type type --id id update-xmlcatalog --add --package package --local local --type type --id id update-xmlcatalog --del --package package --local local --type type --id id update-xmlcatalog --add --local local --file file --type type --id id update-xmlcatalog --del --local local --file file --type type --id id update-xmlcatalog --help DESCRIPTION
update-xmlcatalog add entries to and removes entries from the root XML catalog file, a package XML catalog file or a local XML catalog file. OPTIONS
--add Adds the entry to the root XML catalog file, a package XML catalog file or a local XML catalog file. If the XML catalog file does not exist yet, it is automatically created. --del Deletes the entry from the root XML catalog file, the package XML catalog file or the local XML catalog file. A resulting empty XML catalog is not automatically deleted from the filesystem. --file file Indicates a local filename. --id id Indicates the XML catalog file entry identifier. --local local Indicates a local XML catalog file. --package package Indicates a package XML catalog file. --root Indicates the root XML catalog file. --type type Indicates the XML catalog file entry type (public, system, uri). --help Displays the usage information. NOTES
update-xmlcatalog is the de-facto standard tool to be used to maintain XML catalog files on a Debian system, similar to that update-catalog(8) is the standard tool to be used to main SGML catalog files on a Debian system. A Debian XML Policy document to this effect is currently under development. update-xmlcatalog and xmlcatalog(1) are incompatible. The former has an internal database of all the entries in all the XML catalog files it maintains and regenerates the indicated XML catalog file completely from scratch upon an update. The latter updates the indicated XML catalog file directly. This means that any change made to an XML catalog file using xmlcatalog(1) is overwritten the next time that XML catalog file is updated using update-xmlcatalog. SEE ALSO
/usr/share/doc/xml-core/README.Debian AUTHOR
Ardo van Rangelrooij <ardo@debian.org> perl v5.10.0 2008-10-14 UPDATE-XMLCATALOG(8)