Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Need help in reformatting the input Post 302957114 by scriptor on Wednesday 7th of October 2015 07:09:16 AM
Old 10-07-2015
i know i sound like a moron but i a not able to get it clearly.
few more question

Code:
gsub (/\|/, l"\n" $1 ":")

replace the "field separators" | by "615213:", preceded by a <new line>

need to understand how we are replacing the "field separators" | by "615213:".
i am not getting working of this
Code:
(/\|/, l"\n" $1 ":")

Code:
gsub ($1 ":", "& ")

add a space after the colon

need to understand how we are adding space after colan.
i am not getting working of this
Code:
 ($1 ":", "& ")

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

reformatting a floppy!

i am trying to reformat a floppy i am using solaris 9 when i run this: rmformat -F quick /vol/dev/aliases/floppy0 it tells me that it cannot perform the operation on a mounted device. how do i unmount the device and format the floppy? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rmuhammad
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reformatting file

Hi, How can I reformat a file (text file) using unix command. This file was FTP'd from Mainframe and contains some garbage character at the end of each line. Each line contains special characters '<soh>' at the end which should have been spaces when I view it in emacs or nedit. I couldnt do find... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrjunsy
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help reformatting output

I have a command that gives me the output below: JAVA_HOME = C:/jdk1.5.0_11 Broker Performance Report for server 'app1' RMI_URL = rmis:// Parameter Kintana ItgDS DashboardDS ---------------------------- ------- ----- ----------- Connections count 41 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bwiebe
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Date reformatting

I currently have the following file containing sample values for a number of dates: Loc1 04 Jan 2007 0.95 0.9532 Loc1 05 Jan 2007 0.95 0.9513 Loc1 06 Jan 2007 0.95 0.9535 This continues for all months of the year and spans across several years. I am trying to reformat the dates so that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Date reformatting

I have a file with temperature measurements: Loc1,20090102,71.55 Loc1,20090103,71.65 Loc1,20090104,71.55 Loc1,20090105,71.54 Loc1,20090106,71.54 However, to load this into a database I would like to reformat the dates (column 2) from the yyyymmdd format to the yyyy-mm-dd format. I have... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Date reformatting

I have been reformatting dates from a data file to make them mysql compliant. 31-10-2011 Loc1 1-11-2011 Loc2 The first can be captured by this: sed -i '' -e "s#\(..\)-\(..\)-\(....\)#\3-\2-\1#" data.txt and leads to: 2011-10-31 Loc1 The second line is captured as follows: sed -i... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reformatting a list to table

Hi! I have a list with a lot of records that I need to work with. The problem is that the list is populated successive one record at the time in a text file, and to gain anything from these records I need them to be put out in a table. This is an example of what the list looks like: (145)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivar.friheim
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reformatting Column into rows

I have a file that I need to reformat so that every time I match a certain string in the first column it prints to the string as the heading and under the sting it prints the remaining entries on the line that matched the string. For example, I need to reformat this xxx : yyy zzz 11 : 111 222... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kieranfoley
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help reformatting input file

Hi, I have an input file that looks like this (columns are tab delimited: Data000005-RA GO:0003735 GO:0005840 GO:0006412 Data000005-RA GO:0003735 Data000009-RA GO:0003735 GO:0005622 GO:0005840 GO:0006412 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fahmida
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help reformatting column

Hello UNIX experts, I'm stumped finding a method to reformat a column. Input file is a two column tab-delimited file. Essentially, for every term that appears in column 2, I would like to summarize whether that term appears for every entry in column 1. In other words, make a header for each term... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
2 Replies
regsub(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							 regsub(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
regsub - Perform substitutions based on regular expression pattern matching SYNOPSIS
regsub ?switches? exp string subSpec ?varName? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command matches the regular expression exp against string, and either copies string to the variable whose name is given by varName or returns string if varName is not present. (Regular expression matching is described in the re_syntax reference page.) If there is a match, then while copying string to varName (or to the result of this command if varName is not present) the portion of string that matched exp is replaced with subSpec. If subSpec contains a "&" or "", then it is replaced in the substitution with the portion of string that matched exp. If subSpec contains a " ", where n is a digit between 1 and 9, then it is replaced in the substitution with the portion of string that matched the n'th parenthesized subexpression of exp. Additional backslashes may be used in subSpec to prevent special inter- pretation of "&", "", " " and backslashes. The use of backslashes in subSpec tends to interact badly with the Tcl parser's use of back- slashes, so it is generally safest to enclose subSpec in braces if it includes backslashes. If the initial arguments to regsub start with - then they are treated as switches. The following switches are currently supported: -all All ranges in string that match exp are found and substitution is performed for each of these ranges. Without this switch only the first matching range is found and substituted. If -all is specified, then "&" and " " sequences are handled for each sub- stitution using the information from the corresponding match. -expanded Enables use of the expanded regular expression syntax where whitespace and comments are ignored. This is the same as speci- fying the (?x) embedded option (see the re_syntax manual page). -line Enables newline-sensitive matching. By default, newline is a completely ordinary character with no special meaning. With this flag, "[^" bracket expressions and "." never match newline, "^" matches an empty string after any newline in addition to its normal function, and "$" matches an empty string before any newline in addition to its normal function. This flag is equivalent to specifying both -linestop and -lineanchor, or the (?n) embedded option (see the re_syntax manual page). -linestop Changes the behavior of "[^" bracket expressions and "." so that they stop at newlines. This is the same as specifying the (?p) embedded option (see the re_syntax manual page). -lineanchor Changes the behavior of "^" and "$" (the "anchors") so they match the beginning and end of a line respectively. This is the same as specifying the (?w) embedded option (see the re_syntax manual page). -nocase Upper-case characters in string will be converted to lower-case before matching against exp; however, substitutions specified by subSpec use the original unconverted form of string. -start index Specifies a character index offset into the string to start matching the regular expression at. The index value is interpreted | in the same manner as the index argument to string index. When using this switch, "^" will not match the beginning of the line, and A will still match the start of the string at index. index will be constrained to the bounds of the input string. -- Marks the end of switches. The argument following this one will be treated as exp even if it starts with a -. If varName is supplied, the command returns a count of the number of matching ranges that were found and replaced, otherwise the string after replacement is returned. See the manual entry for regexp for details on the interpretation of regular expressions. EXAMPLES
Replace (in the string in variable string) every instance of foo which is a word by itself with bar: regsub -all {mfooM} $string bar string or (using the "basic regular expression" syntax): regsub -all {(?b)<foo>} $string bar string Insert double-quotes around the first instance of the word interesting, however it is capitalized. regsub -nocase {yinterestingy} $string {"&"} string Convert all non-ASCII and Tcl-significant characters into u escape sequences by using regsub and subst in combination: # This RE is just a character class for everything "bad" set RE {[][{};#\$su0080-uffff]} # We will substitute with a fragment of Tcl script in brackets set substitution {[format \\u%04x [scan "\&" %c]]} # Now we apply the substitution to get a subst-string that # will perform the computational parts of the conversion. set quoted [subst [regsub -all $RE $string $substitution]] SEE ALSO
regexp(n), re_syntax(n), subst(n), string(n) | KEYWORDS
match, pattern, quoting, regular expression, substitute Tcl 8.3 regsub(n)