Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: I/O error Err#5 EIO
Operating Systems Solaris I/O error Err#5 EIO Post 302957015 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 6th of October 2015 07:58:11 AM
Old 10-06-2015
I think jlliagre was being kind. Disks have what is called an MTBF - which is sort of an expected operating lifetime in operating hours, or uptime. Consider that your disk may be 'fixed' in the very short term by fsck.

But the disk will continue on its path to complete degradation. Your other disks may also have issues.

We had an old SPARC box - and several replacement disks on hand for this very reason. If you do not have support getting older disk hardware becomes really problematic. We have actually bought parts on Ebay. Our benighted management finally got the message - we now have support: full support.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar write err

This isn't causing me a problem, but it is puzzling (& slightly worrying) me. If I use tar to copy to a tape & the tape is write protected, I only get the message 'tar: tape write err' if there are a few files to copy. eg. # tar cvf /dev/rStp4 /usr/data will produce the messages ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kevin Pryke
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Err while using find command

hi frnds, I have written a script as follows. ssh username@servername "find $1 -type f -name $2 -mtime +1 -exec rm '{}' \;" when i excute tis script i get error FIND: Parameter format not correct parameter 2 is the file name .. . Thx in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikramsnest
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sccs get -ek command is throwing err

Hi, get -ek s.Communicator.java The difference between the current date and the creation date of the newest delta in the SCCS file is greater than 1 year. Make sure that the system date is set correctly. This message is only a warning. (co11) 14.3 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shivaprasad BS
0 Replies

4. AIX

Can I display err log again after run errclear

After run errclear, it will clean the err log file. After that, if I still need display the log has been cleared by errclear, how can I do? thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting err with 'awk' command

Hi All, I am trying to run the below cmd thro' a script. awk 'NR>=48&&NR<=(58-1)' $IN_FILE_NAME | tee $OUT_FILE_NAME but I am getting an err while running the script. It gives the below err msg : awk: syntax error near line 1 awk: bailing out near line 1 (P.S Note: When run the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: askumarece
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax err near unexpected token...

I've been looking at this code too long. Maybe a fresh set of eyes can spot the: "syntax error near unexpected token `(' ./phmenu ` tput cup 18 4: echo "Accept? (y) es or (n)o: " This is the line in the code: tput cup 18 4; echo "Accept? (y)es or (n)o: " Thanks In Advance... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ccccc
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Phrasing err ssh...

hi.... below cmd (to get current hour - 1) works in localhost...whereas to get the same value in remote host..no result.. looks some pharsing error...can someone help? $ date Monday, 3 May 2010 09:15:46 GMT $ perl -e 'print "" . localtime(time()-$ARGV) . "\n";' 3600 Mon May 3 08:15:57... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: id100
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ksh script: std Out/err

Hello gurus, this is part of my script: ls -1 ${MyFile} >> ${dir_log}ListFile${Now}.tmp FILENUM=`cat ${dir_log}ListFile${Now}.tmp| wc -l | awk '{print $1}'`>> /dev/null if then writeError "ERRORE: no file in directory for type ${FileName}!" >> ${LogFileName} Close 1 fi... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: GERMANICO
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting Perl err.msg when I login?

Hi, When I login to system. root or any of the user, I get Perl error message. Please advise.... When I login as a user.... I get this err.msg. Terminal type is vt100 You have new mail. bash: /usr/local/bin/perl: cannot execute binary file when I login as root. Terminal type... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Ubuntu getting frozen with '{ DRDY ERR }' error

Hi, I am using Ubuntu LTS 12.04. For last few weeks it is getting frozen on INIT 5 and and I can see follwoing logs in single user mode. Have any body any clue for the following: Feb 3 09:14:07 CB11WS1 kernel: ata1.00: status: { DRDY ERR } Feb 3 09:14:07 CB11WS1 kernel: ata1.00:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
0 Replies
volreattach(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    volreattach(8)

NAME
volreattach - Reattaches disk drives that have once again become accessible SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/volreattach [-rb] [accessname...] /usr/sbin/volreattach -c accessname OPTIONS
The volreattach utility has the following options: Calls the volrecover utility to attempt to recover stale plexes of any volumes on the failed disk. Performs the reattach operation in the background. Checks whether a reattach is possible. No operation is performed, but the name of the disk group and disk media name at which the disk can be reattached is displayed. DESCRIPTION
The volreattach utility attempts to reattach disks using the same disk group and media names they had before detachment. This operation may be necessary if a disk has a transient failure, or if some disk drivers are unloaded or unloadable when the Logical Storage Manager is started, causing disks to enter the failed state. If the problem is fixed, the volreattach command can be used to reattach the disks without plexes being flagged as stale, as long as the reattach happens before any volumes on the disk are started. The volreattach command is called from the voldiskadm menus as part of disk recovery. The volreattach utility tries to find a disk with a disk group and disk ID matching that of the disk(s) being reattached. If the matching disk is found, the reattach operation may still fail if the original cause (or some other cause) for the disk failure still exists. EXIT CODES
A zero exit status is returned if it is possible to perform a reattach. Otherwise, non-zero is returned. SEE ALSO
volintro(8), voldiskadm(8), volrecover(8) volreattach(8)