Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Filtering keywords from syslog. Post 302957006 by -=XrAy=- on Tuesday 6th of October 2015 04:04:42 AM
Old 10-06-2015
Hi,

first of: you didn't need specify each priority.
Code:
# <priority> is one of (from high to low):
#       emerg/panic,alert,crit,err(or),warn(ing),notice,info,debug
#       (meaning all messages of this priority or higher)

So user.info /logs/user.log rotate size 10m files 10 compress will do the trick.

It is (currently) not possible to use filter words in AIX syslog. You can use either syslog-ng or use the facility labels local0 to local7 - as far it is possible to define the syslog facility in your application.

Regards

Last edited by -=XrAy=-; 10-06-2015 at 08:15 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regarding use and require keywords

Hi, what is the difference between use and require keywords in Perl. What is the significance of these lines (what it mean, what is the use of this) #!/usr/bin/perl -w // In Perl script.... #!/bin/ksh //In shell script..... Thanks Sweta (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sweta
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to cut id between keywords?

Hi, how to cut id from line ? ....<a class='adata' href='User.php?uid=545554'>.... to 545554 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Trump
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a file with keywords

Hi All I have a file of format asdf asf first sec endi asdk rt 123 ferf dfg ijglkp (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailabdulbari
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching keywords in file

hey guys, Hey all, I'm doing a project currently and want to index words in a webpage. So there would be a file with webpage content and a file with list of words, I want an output file with true and false that would show which word exists in the webpage. example: Webpage content... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johanni
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing with keywords

Hi All, Please help with code for this. I want to parse several huge files and summarize relevant information into columns. The columns of output are title, pagebegin,pageend, author1,author2....,author8, abstract. Column descriptions are as follows. Title Line after single integer value... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alpesh
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract word between two KEYWORDS

Hi I want to extract all the words between two keywords HELLO & BYE. eg: Input 1_HELLO_HOW_ARE_YOU_BYE_TEST 1_HELLO_WHERE_ARE_BYE_TEST 1_HELLO_HOW_BYE_TEST Output Required: HOW_ARE_YOU WHERE_ARE HOW (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashing201
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep Keywords one by one

Hi I am trying to determine number of lines having a specific keyword. So for that I am using below query: grep -i 'keyword1' filename|wc -l This give me number of lines. Perfect for me. However now the requirement is I have multiple keywords together... and I have to find number of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashing201
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep keywords?

I have below text file only with one line: vi test.txt This is the first test from a1.loa1 a1v1, b2.lob2, "c3.loc3" c3b1, loc4 but not from mot3 and second test from a5.loa5 Below should be the output that i want: a1.loa1 b2.lob2 c3.loc3 loc4 a5.loa5 alv1 and c3b1 should be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: khchong
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Split content based on keywords

I need to split the file contents with multiple rows based on patterns Sample: Input: ABC101testXYZ102UKMNO1092testing ABC999testKMNValid Output: ABC101test XYZ102U KMN1092testing ABC999test KMNValid In this ABC , XYZ and KMN are patterns (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jairaj
6 Replies
syslog.conf(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						    syslog.conf(4)

NAME
syslog.conf - syslogd configuration file SYNOPSIS
facility.severity destination Where: Is part of the system generating the message, specified in /usr/include/sys/syslog_pri.h. See also the syslogd(8) reference page. The severity level, which can be emerg, alert, crit, err, warning, notice, info, or debug. See /usr/include/sys/syslog_pri.h. The syslogd daemon logs all messages of the specified severity level plus all messages of greater severity. For example, if you specify level err, all messages of levels err, crit, alert, and emerg or panic are logged. A local file pathname to a log file, a host name for remote logging or a list of users. In the latter case the users will receive messages when they are logged in. An asterisk (*) causes a message to be sent to all users who are currently logged in. DESCRIPTION
The /etc/syslog.conf file is a system file that enables you to configure or filter events that are to be logged by syslogd. You can specify more than one facility and its severity level by separating them with semicolons. You can specify more than one facility logs to the same file by separating the facilities with commas, as shown in the EXAMPLES section. The syslogd daemon ignores blank lines and lines that begin with an octothorpe (#). You can specify # as the first character in a line to include comments in the file or to disable an entry. The facility and severity level are separated from the destination by one or more tab characters. If you want the syslogd daemon to use a configuration file other than the default, you must specify the file name with the following com- mand: # syslogd -f config_file Daily Log Files You can specify in the /etc/syslog.conf file that the syslogd daemon create daily log files. To create daily log files, use the following syntax to specify the path name of the message destination: /var/adm/syslog.dated/ { file} The file variable specifies the name of the log file, for example, mail.log or kern.log. If you specify a /var/adm/syslog.dated/file path name destination, each day the syslogd daemon creates a sub-directory under the /var/adm/syslog.dated directory and a log file in the sub-directory, using the following syntax: /var/adm/syslog.dated/ date / file Where: The date variable specifies the day, month, and time that the log file was created. The file variable specifies the name of the log file you previously specified in the /etc/syslog.conf file. The syslogd daemon automatically cre- ates a new date directory every 24 hours and also when you boot the system. The current directory is a link to the latest date directory. To get the latest logs, you only need to reference the /var/adm/syslog.dated/current directory. EXAMPLES
The following is a sample /etc/syslog.conf file: # # syslogd config file # # facilities: kern user mail daemon auth syslog lpr binary # priorities: emerg alert crit err warning notice info debug # kern.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/kern.log user.debug /var/adm/sys- log.dated/user.log daemon.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/daemon.log auth.crit;syslog.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/syslog.log mail,lpr.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/misc.log msgbuf.err /var/adm/crash.dated/msgbuf.savecore kern.debug /var/adm/messages kern.debug /dev/console *.emerg * FILES
/etc/syslog.conf /etc/syslog.auth - Authorization file for remote logging. /usr/include/sys/syslog_pri.h - Common components of a syslog event log record. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: /usr/sbin/syslogd(8), /usr/sbin/binlogd(8) System Administration delim off syslog.conf(4)