Sponsored Content
Operating Systems SCO Backup/RAID of HD on Old UNIX Server Post 302956567 by hicksd8 on Thursday 1st of October 2015 06:36:00 AM
Old 10-01-2015
Okay, I get the picture.

Do you have the install media for this O/S?

Does the machine have a floppy drive (that works)?
If so, you can make what is known as a "root & boot" set which will facilitate you getting the machine back on its feet if you have a full tape backup.

To create the "root & boot" floppies login as root and run:

Code:
# mkdev fd

which will give you a menu driven interface. Select the options to write out the emergency floppies.

To make a full tape backup capable of disaster recovery you should use cpio NOT tar. (The reason is that tar doesn't backup/restore the device nodes properly in /dev).

Typically:

Code:

# cd /
 # find . -depth -print|cpio -ov -C10240 -K<tape size in K's> /dev/rct0

Yes, you can leave out the -C switch out but it is more efficient to write 10K blocks to tape. The -K should specify the capacity of each tape so that it calls for the next tape if needed. You should also use the -c switch if you want to write in 'portable' format such as knowing you are going to change platforms.

With a 'root & boot' set you can boot from floppy which contains all the commands needed for recovery, the required boot block copies, etc. So you can use the 'divvy' command to lay out a new hard drive and create the filesystems. The 'dd' command to write out boot blocks 0 and 1.
You can then mount your new empty hard disk root filesystem and restore the whole from tape. Also, restore any non-root filesystems.

That is broadly it. Feel free to ask further questions.

There is better SCO knowledge on this forum than mine so, down the line, you might ask moderators to move this thread to the SCO forum proper where it will be more likely to be seen by the right people.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by hicksd8; 10-01-2015 at 07:49 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to hicksd8 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

2-Ch RAID Problem in SCO Open Server

Help, if possible. In SCO Open Server with installation of two-channel RAID controller the following happens: on the channel 0 disk array is seen by an operational system, and on the channel 1 array is not seen (simultaneously). That is the operational system can not simultaneously use more than... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pko60
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Adding RAID to server

Hi, I have a server that I am adding a RAID that we purchased to. The server works fine. It is running Fedora 7 and is a Dell Precision 690. When the RAID is attached, it boots up and says the following: Controller Bus #00, Device#1F, Function#02: 00 Ports No device found AHCI BIOS not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: user23
0 Replies

3. Red Hat

linux server with raid controller card

I am planning on building a fedora box with raid controller (database server). Is anybody done that ? also what kind of software do you need to backup and recover data. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amir07
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

efficient raid file server

I need to put together a RAID1 file server for use by Windoze systems. I've built zillions of windows systems from components. I was a HPUX SE for a long time at HP, but have been out of the game for years. I've got an old workhorse mobo FIC PA-2013 with a 450 MHz K6 III+ I could use, but I'd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcmacd
2 Replies

5. Hardware

Hardware RAID on Sun T2000 Server

Hi All I have a Sun T2000 server. Couple of years ago I had configured and mirrored the boot drive with an other drive using hardware RAID 1 using raidctl command. Following is the hardware RAID output. root@oracledatabaseserver / $ raidctl RAID Volume RAID RAID Disk... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
0 Replies

6. Hardware

Raid 0 on database server

Hi guys. if we want to use SSD drives on a database server, can we use RAID 0 configuration because of their reliability? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
3 Replies

7. Linux

Help Setting up Linux Raid Server

I just built a home computer with 3TB hard drives I wanted to set up in a RAID 5 and load Ubuntu server onto it. The first thing I did was set up the drives in a RAID 5 using just the motherboard chipset software to do it, so a 'hardware' RAID basically. I installed Windows first to see if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lorewap3
2 Replies

8. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Help finding a Unix friendly RAID 1 backup

First time poster and a very new Unix user, so I'll just pre-apologize for stupid questions now. Does anybody know of a good RAID 1 hard drive backup that is Unix friendly? I want to avoid any hardcore programming. Can you recommend both NAS and non-NAS options? I need to do nightly backups... (31 Replies)
Discussion started by: c.wakeman
31 Replies

9. Hardware

3ware RAID server

We have a 3ware RAID server at work, and as the appointed systems administrator (by virtue of being the one with the most knowledge) I've taken on the job of maintaining it. I've installed smartmontools on it to keep an eye on the drives and run scans every day, and looking at the data from the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krendoshazin
0 Replies
FDWRITE(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						FDWRITE(1)

NAME
fdwrite -- format and write floppy disks SYNOPSIS
fdwrite [-v] [-y] [-f inputfile] [-d device] DESCRIPTION
The fdwrite utility formats and writes one and more floppy disks. Any floppy disk device capable of formatting can be used. The fdwrite utility will ask the user (on /dev/tty) to insert a new floppy and press return. The device will then be opened, and queried for its parameters, then each track will be formatted, written with data from the inputfile, read back and compared. When the floppy disk is filled, the process is repeated, with the next disk. This continues until the program is interrupted or EOF is encountered on the inputfile. The options are as follows: -v Toggle verbosity on stdout. Default is ``on''. After device is opened first time the format will be printed. During operation progress will be reported with the number of tracks remaining on the current floppy disk, and the letters I, Z, F, W, R and C, which indicates completion of Input, Zero-fill, Format Write, Read and Compare of current track respec- tively. -y Do not ask for presence of a floppy disk in the drive. This non-interactive flag is useful for shell scripts. -f inputfile Input file to read. If none is given, stdin is assumed. -d device The name of the floppy device to write to. Default is /dev/fd0. The fdwrite utility actually closes the device while it waits for the user to press return, it is thus quite possible to use the drive for other purposes at this time and later resume writing with the next floppy. The parameters returned from device are used for formatting. If custom formatting is needed, please use fdformat(1) instead. EXAMPLES
The fdwrite utility was planned as a tool to make life easier when writing a set of floppies, one such use could be to write a tar-archive: tar cf -. | gzip -9 | fdwrite -d /dev/fd0.1720 -v The main difference from using tar(1)'s multivolume facility is of course the formatting of the floppies, which here is done on the fly, thus reducing the amount of work for the floppy-jockey. SEE ALSO
fdformat(1) HISTORY
The fdwrite utility was written while waiting for ``make world'' to complete. Some of the code was taken from fdformat(1). AUTHORS
The program has been contributed by Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
Diagnostics are less than complete at present. If a floppy is sick, and the inputfile is seekable, it should ask the user to frisbee the disk, insert another, and rewind to the right spot and continue. This concept could be extended to cover non-seekable input also by employing a temporary file. An option (defaulting to zero) should allow the user to ask for retries in case of failure. At present a suitable tool for reading back a multivolume set of floppies is missing. Programs like tar(1) for instance, will do the job, if the data has not been compressed. One can always trust dd(1) to help out in this situation of course. BSD
September 16, 1993 BSD