Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Creating file systems (LVM v Multipath) Post 302956556 by Peasant on Thursday 1st of October 2015 05:06:43 AM
Old 10-01-2015
Other then stuff mentioned here i would like to make a general recommendation regarding disk devices in Linux.

If you present a disk for instance /dev/xxx, create a primary partition /dev/sda1 which you will use in your volume groups / filesystems / ASM and label it like that (LVM label or other) during fdisk operation.

Why partition ?
Initial sectors are for OS information.
Easier to see and correct possible errors which are out of LVM/ASM/filesystem scope.
Disks partitioned are quite obviously used for some service (LVM, ASM etc.), while non-partitioned are not, reducing possible risk of error during administrative work.

Using full devices will work as well on Linux systems, but due to reasons above i would suggest making one primary partition if you intend to use entire disk space.

As for multipath, use /dev/mapper when creating volume groups and such.
Also using sane names for storage luns in /etc/multipath.conf helps e.g /dev/mapper/databaselun looks much more human then /dev/mapper/mpathXY

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating user ids on multiple systems simultaneously

I am trying to think of a way to create user ids on multiple Linux systems in one fell swoop without logging onto each system indivually. Is there a way to do this with ssh commands? I don't want to use NIS/LDAP solution just a simple shell script utilitarian methodoloy would suffice. Also, I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: darthur
1 Replies

2. Programming

Creating a Unique ID on distributed systems

Hi, How do you actually create a unique ID on a distributed system. I looked at gethostid but the man page says that its not guaranteed to be unique. Also using the IP address does not seem to be a feasible solution. Is there a function call or mechanism by which this is possible when even the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pic
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating create mirrored disk files systems using mkfs command

What is the correct mkfs syntax to create mirrored disk files systems? I need to make the file system 20gb. For example: machine# mkfs -F ufs /dev/md/dsk/d40 size not specified ufs usage: mkfs special size(sectors) \ -m : dump fs cmd line used to make this partition -V : print this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GLJ@USC
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Data Recovery from file system overwritten with LVM.

Hey peeps, Here is somethin u might find interestin.... Is it possible to recover data from a partition which used to be an ext3 file sytem with some nice forgotten backups, which now is an lvm partion containg root partition of another OS. :) I couldn't create any mess better than this, can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: squid04
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

How to reduce LVM to create another LVM

Hi, I'm new to HP-UX. I have LVM on /var with 92Gig. I would like to reduce it to create another LVM for Oracle client with 800 meg or so. How to do it. I'm running 11.iv3 Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
4 Replies

6. Linux

Creating Filesystem using DD for LVM

I created a new filesystem using dd and mounted: I have a filesystem /FAW with 1Terra space /dev/sdb1 1151331444 24742604 1068104612 3% /FAW Steps I followed to create a new filesystem # dd if=/dev/zero of=/FAW/vms/linux_vm/disk2.img bs=1 count=1024 seek=500G # mke2fs... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriram003
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert non LVM root partition to LVM?

Hi Guys, I m using redhat 6, I have installed root partition as non-LVM . Is there any way i can convert it to LVM? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

8. Linux

Creating /boot partition for LVM VG

Hi, I have a server booted into sysresccd (mini-linux OS) with 1 40 GB disk attached I am trying to create a volume group and restore another server into the new one However, when I try to create a partition for /boot it seems that my VG in LVM is not recognized anymore These are the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: galuzan
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question about lvm file creation

Hi, I have below code for disk creation disk_list=$(ls /dev/sd) for disk in $disk_list do pvcreate $i done So what my understanding is first it is checking the disk under /dev sdb,sdc,sdd,...sdz whether 25 disk are existing if not then its creating the 25 physical volume. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stew
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Creating multipath device with FC Disks

Hello, I am trying to setup a storage server with salvaged equipments: QSSC-S4R server, with QLogic 2562 FC HBA's Clariion KTN-STL4 4GB FC Enclosures Disks Salvaged from EMC Vmax Disks are 520B sector size so i converted to 512B in linux environment and create multipath successfully. But... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amd103
4 Replies
KPARTX(8)                                                  Linux Administrator's Manual                                                  KPARTX(8)

NAME
kpartx - Create device maps from partition tables SYNOPSIS
kpartx [-a | -d | -l] [-v] wholedisk DESCRIPTION
This tool, derived from util-linux' partx, reads partition tables on specified device and create device maps over partitions segments detected. It is called from hotplug upon device maps creation and deletion. OPTIONS
-a Add partition mappings -r Readonly partition mappings -r Read-only partition mappings -d Delete partition mappings -u Update partition mappings -l List partition mappings that would be added -a -p set device name-partition number delimiter -f force creation of mappings; overrides 'no_partitions' feature -g force GUID partition table (GPT) -v Operate verbosely -s Sync mode. Don't return until the partitions are created EXAMPLE
To mount all the partitions in a raw disk image: kpartx -av disk.img This will output lines such as: loop3p1 : 0 20964762 /dev/loop3 63 The loop3p1 is the name of a device file under /dev/mapper which you can use to access the partition, for example to fsck it: fsck /dev/mapper/loop3p1 When you're done, you need to remove the devices: kpartx -d disk.img SEE ALSO
multipath(8) multipathd(8) hotplug(8) AUTHORS
This man page was assembled By Patrick Caulfield for the Debian project. From documentation provided by the multipath author Christophe Varoqui, <christophe.varoqui@opensvc.com> and others. July 2006 KPARTX(8)