Sponsored Content
Operating Systems SCO Backup/RAID of HD on Old UNIX Server Post 302956540 by chrishouse on Wednesday 30th of September 2015 07:49:56 PM
Old 09-30-2015
Backup/RAID of HD on Old UNIX Server

I need to be able to make a backup image of an OLD UNIX server HD where I can restore the complete HD from scratch if (when) the HD fails. This server runs the accounting system for a company.

I can and have backed the data up via local FTP, but O/S and Apps are so old that I am not sure I could get the right version of the O/S and Apps back to make it work, even with data

The O/S is : SCO SCO_SV scosysv 3.2 5.0.6 i386
It is an HP E800 PIII 800 MHZ with a HUGE 9 GB SCSII HD (Circa 2000)
It also has IDE as well

The server has already failed and I was lucky, I found another and popped the HD in and it came back up. However, it is just a matter of time before the HD goes.

There is a SCSII Tape drive, I am still trying to ascertain if it is actually working. Have ordered new tapes. (they had been using the same two about 7 years)

I have this line in the root crontab file

Code:
0 0 * * * find / -print | cpio -ocO /dev/rct0

Not sure if that backs up entire HD and would allow me to restore and have a bootable drive or not.

I would love to be able to make an image of that HD every night (or even realtime) on another HD or, at 9 gb, even USB, but not sure if that version of UNIX supports USB.

I just want to be able to restore and go without risking having to reinstall anything.

A bit more personal background and why they are in this mess in case you are interested. No need to tell me how dangerous and idiotic it is to be in this situation, belive me, I know.

I do not work for or at this company. It was my father's company he built from scratch and knew everything himself inside and out. He passed away about 6 years ago and it just kinds of runs itself and I have to go down and deal with crises (like this one). My father wanted me to keep the company going so that loyal employees that had been with him since the start could work until retirement.

I will be able to retire from my current job in a couple of years and at that point I may move there and fix all these issues correctly. For now, I just put out fires (like this)

I know the equipment is old, but the employees are as well and they are familiar with it and it the does everything they need and the company does not have the $20k+ needed to upgrade at this time.
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use CODE tags when displaying sample input, output, and code segments.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 09-30-2015 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: Add CODE tags.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

2-Ch RAID Problem in SCO Open Server

Help, if possible. In SCO Open Server with installation of two-channel RAID controller the following happens: on the channel 0 disk array is seen by an operational system, and on the channel 1 array is not seen (simultaneously). That is the operational system can not simultaneously use more than... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pko60
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Adding RAID to server

Hi, I have a server that I am adding a RAID that we purchased to. The server works fine. It is running Fedora 7 and is a Dell Precision 690. When the RAID is attached, it boots up and says the following: Controller Bus #00, Device#1F, Function#02: 00 Ports No device found AHCI BIOS not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: user23
0 Replies

3. Red Hat

linux server with raid controller card

I am planning on building a fedora box with raid controller (database server). Is anybody done that ? also what kind of software do you need to backup and recover data. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amir07
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

efficient raid file server

I need to put together a RAID1 file server for use by Windoze systems. I've built zillions of windows systems from components. I was a HPUX SE for a long time at HP, but have been out of the game for years. I've got an old workhorse mobo FIC PA-2013 with a 450 MHz K6 III+ I could use, but I'd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcmacd
2 Replies

5. Hardware

Hardware RAID on Sun T2000 Server

Hi All I have a Sun T2000 server. Couple of years ago I had configured and mirrored the boot drive with an other drive using hardware RAID 1 using raidctl command. Following is the hardware RAID output. root@oracledatabaseserver / $ raidctl RAID Volume RAID RAID Disk... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
0 Replies

6. Hardware

Raid 0 on database server

Hi guys. if we want to use SSD drives on a database server, can we use RAID 0 configuration because of their reliability? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
3 Replies

7. Linux

Help Setting up Linux Raid Server

I just built a home computer with 3TB hard drives I wanted to set up in a RAID 5 and load Ubuntu server onto it. The first thing I did was set up the drives in a RAID 5 using just the motherboard chipset software to do it, so a 'hardware' RAID basically. I installed Windows first to see if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lorewap3
2 Replies

8. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Help finding a Unix friendly RAID 1 backup

First time poster and a very new Unix user, so I'll just pre-apologize for stupid questions now. Does anybody know of a good RAID 1 hard drive backup that is Unix friendly? I want to avoid any hardcore programming. Can you recommend both NAS and non-NAS options? I need to do nightly backups... (31 Replies)
Discussion started by: c.wakeman
31 Replies

9. Hardware

3ware RAID server

We have a 3ware RAID server at work, and as the appointed systems administrator (by virtue of being the one with the most knowledge) I've taken on the job of maintaining it. I've installed smartmontools on it to keep an eye on the drives and run scans every day, and looking at the data from the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krendoshazin
0 Replies