Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting If no input then set directory to current Post 302956343 by johnnybananas on Tuesday 29th of September 2015 06:11:54 AM
Old 09-29-2015
but i dont want to supply parameters calling the script. I just want the script to execute and ask the user what dir they want to check

if the user just presses enter without entering a dir then the script will use the current dir

if the uses enters a dir then the script will use that one

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cannot determine current directory

Hi, when I execute some simple commands on my solaris system, I am getting the following warning message: Could anybody tell me what could be the reason Ex:- If I give the command, which ls Warning: cannot determine current directory ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: axes
15 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

filename in current directory

I want to perform a task on all the files in the current directory but I'd like to loop through them one at a time. How do I tell it to give me the first filename? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: calgone337
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding files in current directory when 100,000's files in current directory

Hi All I was wondering what is the most efficient way to find files in the current directory(that may contain 100,000's files), that meets a certain specified file type and of a certain age. I have experimented with the find command in unix but it also searches all sub directories. I have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kewong007
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to compare current time with the input to variant?

Hi all, I have a simple script follow: ------------- #!/bin/bash echo -n " Enter the date of today: " read dateoftoday ------------- Now I want to compare the variant $dateoftoday with date of the system (now) in order to prevent user inputs the past date to $dateoftoday. I want to make... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: axn_boy
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

tarball of current directory

I wanna make a backup tarball. I wanna write a script that makes tarball of the current directory. There are lots of files so I cant type all files, I wanna make the tarball by excluding few files. Like there 1000 files in a directory I wanna create a tarball containing 98 files of that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nishrestha
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

Unable to Set Prompt to current working DIR

HPUX does not recognise \h,\w,\u to display the hostname,working directory and username respectively. So how do i set the PS1 variable to display my current working Directory as my prompt? I also tried PS1=$PWD, But it keeps showing the same directory path as prompt which PWD was holding at... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit Kulkarni
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

current directory in awk

Hello, I want to use the string with the current directory in my awk command. I tried: 'pwd=system("pwd")' but it doesn't work. can please help somebody? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daWonderer
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to delete large set of files (i.e) close to 100K from a directory based on the input file

Hi all, I need a script to delete a large set of files from a directory under / based on an input file and want to redirect errors into separate file. I have already prepared a list of files in the input file. Kndly help me. Thanks, Prash (36 Replies)
Discussion started by: prash358
36 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to email the current directory?

Hi, I'm very new to Unix, but have been given a command to type in which is : mail -s <email subject goes here> <my email address> <success.txt this command is quite a basic one and sends an email containing the contents of the file "success.txt" to whatever email I put in with the subject of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rnmuk
2 Replies

10. AIX

How to set owner and permission for files/directory in directory in this case?

Hi. My example: I have a filesystem /log. Everyday, log files are copied to /log. I'd like to set owner and permission for files and directories in /log like that chown -R log_adm /log/* chmod -R 544 /log/*It's OK, but just at that time. When a new log file or new directory is created in /log,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobochacha29
8 Replies
rc.config(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						      rc.config(4)

NAME
rc.config, rc.config.d - files containing system configuration information SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The system configuration used at startup is contained in files within the directory The file sources all of the files within and and exports their contents to the environment. /etc/rc.config The file is a script that sources all of the scripts, and also sources To read the configuration definitions, only this file need be sourced. This file is sourced by whenever it is run, such as when the command is run to transition between run states. Each file that exists in is sourced, without regard to which startup scripts are to be executed. /etc/rc.config.d The configuration information is structured as a directory of files, rather than as a single file containing the same information. This allows developers to create and manage their own configuration files here, without the complications of shared ownership and access of a common file. /etc/rc.config.d/* Files This is where files containing configuration variable assignments are located. Configuration scripts must be written to be read by the POSIX shell, and not the Bourne shell, or In some cases, these files must also be read and possibly modified by control scripts or the sam program. See sd(4) and sam(1M). For this reason, each variable definition must appear on a separate line, with the syntax: No trailing comments may appear on a variable definition line. Comment statements must be on separate lines, with the comment character in column one. This example shows the required syntax for configuration files: Configuration variables may be declared as array parameters when describing multiple instances of the variable configuration. For example, a system may contain two network interfaces, each having a unique IP address and subnet mask (see ifconfig(1M)). An example of such a dec- laration is as follows: Note that there must be no requirements on the order of the files sourced. This means configuration files must not refer to variables defined in other configuration files, since there is no guarantee that the variable being referenced is currently defined. There is no protection against environment variable namespace collision in these configuration files. Programmers must take care to avoid such prob- lems. /etc/TIMEZONE The file contains the definition of the environment variable. This file is required by POSIX. It is sourced by at the same time the files are sourced. SEE ALSO
rc(1M). rc.config(4)