Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Rsync - hot to omit MOTD/banners Post 302956260 by agent.kgb on Monday 28th of September 2015 12:00:24 PM
Old 09-28-2015
it may be sshd banner, not motd.

Code:
$ ssh server1 date
Internal System. Unauthorized access is prohibited.
Mon Sep 28 17:58:16 CEST 2015

vs.

Code:
$ ssh server1 date 2>/dev/null
Mon Sep 28 17:58:20 CEST 2015

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing old motd with new motd

I need to replace the current /etc/motd text file with a new motd across 30+ servers. Which is the best way to do this? Shell script? sed? Does anyone have an example I can use? Thanks in advance. Unix people are the best!!! :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: antalexi
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/etc/motd

Hi I do get the message of the day upon logging in to my machine(Solaris 9). I do NOT have a .hushlogin file in my home directory. Any ideas :-) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: run_time_error
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Motd

Does anyone know how to get the IP Address of the connecting client to apear in the MOTD I am new to linux and I was wondering if this was possible thanks in advance. :D :confused: :D (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DragonLenage
4 Replies

4. Linux

Motd

In which login startup script is the motd displayed? Red Hat 4AS As I understand it, upon login (bash) it hits /etc/profile ~/.bash_profile ~/.bash_login ~/.profile I went through the scripts and the associated scripts (/etc/profile.d/*.sh) but don't see where it's being displayed... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BOFH
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing banners from scp calls (AIX/KSH)

Hello all! I am creating a script to synchronize key files on multiple servers in our environment. What I have works, but I am getting the banner for each of the servers in the output and it makes it difficult to quickly review when there are over a dozen servers in the array. I have tried a few... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpare
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Small linux distro for displaying advertisements/banners

Hi guys (& ladies) :) I'm looking for some good linux distribution to use on my new project. The project looks like this: - tiny computer (ethernet, D-sub, usb, etc), - big-screen monitor (min 40''). All it has to do is to display some .swf advertisement in fullscreen mode. (plus some extra... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sulti
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

TCP banners for httpd

Can this be done for httpd also? Reading the manul it does not mention httpd at all. Basically, what I want to do is disable the ability of the user to see what type of system the web server is on. Can I:- 1. Add /etc/banners/httpd file and add some text in here. 2. Edit hosts.allow to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
1 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

/etc/motd - queries

If I have /etc/motd, he is file or directory? I saw that some call them folders and files others... Which option is better? I knew that being a director, but many told me not. Thank you! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mescu
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync Error: rsync: link_stat failed: No such file or directory (2)

I wish to copy all the files & folder under /web/Transfer_Files/data/ on mymac1 (Linux) to remote server mybank.intra.com (Solaris 10) /tmp/ location I am using Ansible tool synchronize module which triggers the unix rsync command as below:rsync --delay-updates -F --compress --archive --rsh=ssh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
PAM_MOTD(8)							 Linux-PAM Manual						       PAM_MOTD(8)

NAME
pam_motd - Display the motd file SYNOPSIS
pam_motd.so [motd=/path/filename] DESCRIPTION
pam_motd is a PAM module that can be used to display arbitrary motd (message of the day) files after a successful login. By default the /etc/motd file is shown. The message size is limited to 64KB. OPTIONS
motd=/path/filename The /path/filename file is displayed as message of the day. noupdate Don't run the scripts in /etc/update-motd.d to refresh the motd file. MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
Only the session module type is provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_IGNORE This is the only return value of this module. EXAMPLES
The suggested usage for /etc/pam.d/login is: session optional pam_motd.so motd=/etc/motd SEE ALSO
motd(5), pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(7), update-motd(5) AUTHOR
pam_motd was written by Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org>. Linux-PAM Manual 09/19/2013 PAM_MOTD(8)