Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers This awk should work, shouldn't it? Post 302956207 by RudiC on Monday 28th of September 2015 08:10:52 AM
Old 09-28-2015
Looks like out.tmp is not a text file. Possibly a screen dump with controls in it? Please post a hexdump.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

why is this so hard when it shouldn't be?

All I ask is one thing: 1. Where can i dl unix and the driver for my modem? right now i have win xp HP notebook, and bellsouth is my provider with a westell modem. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: velious
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

why awk does not work here?

I am trying to find any line with the 9th column's number greater than 200, but why the following awk command does not work? awk '$9 > 200' /tmp/test 2007-09-05 10:13:05.714 640.847 any 1.2.3.4 719 2445 487260 32 6082 199 2007-09-05 10:13:02.686 641.827... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedora
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: assign variable with -v didn't work in awk filter

I want to filter 2nd column = 2 using awk $ cat t 1 2 2 4 $ VAR=2 #variable worked in print $ cat t | awk -v ID=$VAR ' { print ID}' 2 2 # but variable didn't work in awk filter $ cat t | awk -v ID=$VAR '$2~/ID/ { print $0}' (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse file using awk and work in awk output

hi guys, i want to parse a file using public function, the file contain raw data in the below format i want to get the output like this to load it to Oracle DB MARWA1,BSS:26,1,3,0,0,0,0,0.00,22,22,22.00 MARWA2,BSS:26,1,3,0,0,0,0,0.00,22,22,22.00 this the file raw format: Number of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dagigg
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delimited data contains line feeds where they shouldn't be

I have some data, each record (line) ends with a line feed (\n). Each field is pipe (|) delimited. 1|short desc|long text|2001-01-01 01:01 2|short desc| long text |2002-02-02 02:02 3|short desc| long text | 2003-03-03 03:03 4|short desc | long text | 2004-04-04 04:04 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ericdp63
10 Replies

6. Solaris

Particular user account shouldn't be locked after entering wrong passwd specfic no. times

Hi all In my system we have implemented user lockout feature after 3 failure attempt if he tries to login directly or if he run the any command through sudo and enter wrong password thrice. Now I have requirement in which particular user account shouldn't be locked when he run the command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sb200
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script outputing out numbers when it shouldn't

i suspect the issue is with the IFS part. I have a script that reads a file. the problem here is that, when i run the script, it outputs a bunch of numbers. i know what these numbers are, but i dont understand why they're being sent to the screen. as you can see below, everything should be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Users of own group shouldn't be able to delete

Oracle Linux 6.5 oracle user's primary group is oinstall and its secondary group is dba,asmdba,asmoper. For the below created directory, I want the users belonging to dba,asmdba,asmoper to be able create, read and execute files but not delete them. How can I achieve that. If I use 775 as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why does this if match although it shouldn't?

Hi everyboy, I am a little confused and can't understand why I get a positive match in the following case. Shell Script section echo $SHELL echo "Server type = ${SERV_TYPE}" if ]]; then echo "foor" echo -e $(_date) "${cinfo}INFO: ${crst}Checking SAP memory on ${HOST}"This is the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: h1kelds
1 Replies
MHMAIL(1)                                                            [nmh-1.5]                                                           MHMAIL(1)

NAME
mhmail - send or read mail SYNOPSIS
mhmail [addrs ...] [-body text] [-cc addrs ...] [-from addr] [-subject subject] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
mhmail is intended as a replacement for the standard Berkeley mail program (mail or mailx), which is compatible with nmh. This program is intended for the use of programs such as cron, which expect to send mail automatically to various users. It is also used by various nmh commands to mail various error notifications. Although mhmail can be used interactively, it is recommended that comp and send be used instead to send messages. When invoked without arguments, it simply invokes inc to incorporate new messages from the user's maildrop. When one or more users is specified, a message is read from the standard input and spooled to a temporary file. mhmail then invokes post with the name of the tempo- rary file as its argument to deliver the message to the specified user. The -subject subject switch can be used to specify the "Subject:" field of the message. By default, mhmail will read the message to be sent from the standard input. You can specify the text of the message at the command line with the -body text switch. If the standard input has zero length, mhmail will not send the message. You can use the switch -body "" to force an empty message. Normally, addresses appearing as arguments are put in the "To:" field. If the -cc switch is used, all addresses following it are placed in the "cc:" field. By using -from addr, you can specify the "From:" header of the draft. Naturally, post will fill-in the "Sender:" header correctly. FILES
/usr/bin/mh/inc Program to incorporate maildrop into folder /usr/lib/mh/post Program to deliver a message /tmp/mhmail* Temporary copy of message SEE ALSO
inc(1), post(8) DEFAULTS
None CONTEXT
If inc is invoked, then inc's context changes occur. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 MHMAIL(1)