Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl inserting random negative integer Post 302956034 by Aia on Thursday 24th of September 2015 11:57:33 PM
Old 09-25-2015
Quote:
Code:
                        if($po_nbr_from_invoice != 0)
                          {
                                $po = $po_nbr_from_invoice ;
                          }
                         else
                          {
                                $po = 0 ;
                          }

This and similar flow control conditions are extraneous. Think about it.
If the value of $po_nbr_from_invoice is not a zero $po gets it. However, if is zero $po gets zero, which is what $po_nbr_from_invoice has already, therefore the whole if-else block could be reduced to just the assigment:
Code:
$po = $po_nbr_from_invoice;

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: random select

How do I: 1. Have a list of names. JOE, JOHN, PETER, PAT. how do i get perl to randomly select any two and put them in $name1 and put the other two in $name2 ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: perleo
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do i generate random integer using only shell script

Hi All, I need to generate 4 digit random no using only shell script. Please help in this ASAP. Thanks in advance... Regards, sridhar. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sridhusha
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting into first record using perl

hi all... i got some requirment where i need to insert some values into first record of flat file. i am using perl for that job. var1=456 var2=789 echo `perl -p -i -e "s/U/\${var1}U${var2}/g;" myFile.txt` but it is writing into all records which has U.... can anyone help me out in this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shreekrishnagd
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help in Inserting a new line in a file using PERL

I need a perl script to find and replace a specific pattern in a file to a new line. BAsically I have a single line data in a file with 10 mb to 200 MB. I want to put a new line based on a specific pattern to open the file in Excel / Access. Following is the sample data in a file ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: portalfaq
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random Numbers - Perl

Hi Guys I have a script to find Ranomd numbers. But I want to make the file to produce more random. Could u guys help me plz. In this Script I have the code that generates random in for loop and the range I have specified in my %chromlength input and out put will be like this chrno start end... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: repinementer
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - Inserting text

Hey, I have 10 lines of text ... And I would like to Insert prefix for each line with static text. perl -pi -e 's/()/$1 TEST$./' data.txt Each line will have different static prefix, Code above works perfectly for 1st line ... I'm just not sure how I can run same command for 2nd line 3rd... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: NDxiak
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl output with negative and positive numbers

Hello, For my weather station I have made a little perl script to put the data into cacti. The next problem I have. I can only get positive numbers or negative numbers. What do I do: Though a shell scrip I call the perl script. Shell script: #!/bin/sh cat data.txt | stats.pl Perl... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbl-blacklight
4 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Process, where each process generates a random integer

Hello all, I am writing a program where user enters an integer and the program creates that number of processes. Each child process generates a random integer. When a child process calls a procedure say Myprocedure it should terminate where as the parent process wait for the child to terminate. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manisum
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: backslash in front of integer like \32768

In Perl, what does a backslash preceding an integer do like \32768 ? The $/ section of perlvar writes: local $/ = \32768; # or \"32768", or \$var_containing_32768 How is \32768 different from just 32768 without backslash? I do not understand the backslashes in \"32768" and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LessNux
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Script Integer Test

Working out a small problem, I have a need of a Perl snippet which might look something like this: use integer; ... if ($changingNumber / 2) { do something; } else { do something else; } ... What I want to happen is for "if" to resolve as "true" every time a whole... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinQ
3 Replies
service(8)						      System Manager's Manual							service(8)

NAME
service - run a System V init script SYNOPSIS
service SCRIPT COMMAND [OPTIONS] service --status-all service --help | -h | --version DESCRIPTION
service runs a System V init script in as predictable an environment as possible, removing most environment variables and with the current working directory set to /. The SCRIPT parameter specifies a System V init script, located in /etc/init.d/SCRIPT. The supported values of COMMAND depend on the invoked script. service passes COMMAND and OPTIONS to the init script unmodified. All scripts should support at least the start and stop commands. As a special case, if COMMAND is --full-restart, the script is run twice, first with the stop command, then with the start com- mand. service --status-all runs all init scripts, in alphabetical order, with the status command. EXIT CODES
service calls the init script and returns the status returned by it. FILES
/etc/init.d The directory containing System V init scripts. ENVIRONMENT
LANG, TERM The only environment variables passed to the init scripts. SEE ALSO
/etc/init.d/skeleton, update-rc.d(8), init(8), invoke-rc.d(8). Jan 2006 service(8)