Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sudo ssh with command running in background Post 302955978 by newbie2010 on Thursday 24th of September 2015 11:12:34 AM
Old 09-24-2015
Sudo ssh with command running in background

I am trying to run a command. This is one of my attempts:

Code:
for i in fileservera; do ssh -t $i 'sudo ls /';done

This works, and I see the directories. However, what I want to do now is start a process on the remote server such as
Code:
/usr/bin/connectproc -standalone

Code:
sudo /usr/bin/connectproc -standalone

works fine on the remote server once I log in and run it. It even stays running when I logout.

But I can't get it to run when I use the sudo command with ssh. I've tried to use the following:

Code:
for i in fileservera; do ssh -t $i 'sudo/usr/bin/connectproc -standalone';done

and

Code:
for i in fileservera; do ssh -t $i 'sudo/usr/bin/connectproc -standalone &';done

it does not output anything, it appears to login to the remote server but I never see the command running. What would be the best way to get this command to run with the very simple script above?

This is my latest attempt:

Code:
for i in fileservera; do ssh -t $i 'nohup sudo /usr/bin/connectproc -standalone';done

This works, but as soon as I control -C (it gets stuck) the process dies on fileservera

Anyone have any idea?

I now tried to enclose with
Code:
for i in fileservera; do ssh -t $i '$(nohup sudo /usr/bin/connectproc -standalone &)';done

this works but it disconnects me at the end and the process dies in 30 seconds and does not keep alive

Also I have about 100 hosts with different Solaris/Linux so it is hard for me to use screen

Last edited by newbie2010; 09-24-2015 at 04:55 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

is running this command via ssh possible? (formatting issues)

Here is the command I want to run: for pkg in `pkginfo | grep -i VRTS | awk '{print $2}'`; do showrev -p | grep $pkg; done | awk '{print $2 "\t" $7}' | uniq It returns the package info in a form such as: 113210-03 VRTSfspro 112392-06 VRTSvmman 113596-03 VRTSvmpro... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

kill a command I am running / then put it to background

I have a command running in the foreground (and so my term window is locked up) and I want to kill it, then resume it in the background and go home. It is creating a zip file, and the file will be written to the current directory - no std in / std out issues. How do I do this? Kill it with a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hindesite
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh foo.com sudo command - Prompts for sudo password as visible text. Help?

I am writing a BASH script to update a webserver and then restart Apache. It looks basically like this: #!/bin/bash rsync /path/on/local/machine/ foo.com:path/on/remote/machine/ ssh foo.com sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 reloadrsync and ssh don't prompt for a password, because I have DSA encryption... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: fluoborate
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

command to see process running at background

Hi , I want to see all the background process that are running in unix box machine...please guide me is there any specific command for that..since I am executing some scripts at background..!!:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nks342
1 Replies

5. Programming

Background (nohup * &) SSH command block possible?

Hello, I am trying to find a way to send several sequential commands via SSH to a remote box in a single command. Thoughts so far: 1) Can I put them into a function and call the function within the ssh command? e.g. ssh <targetserver> $(functionx) No - then it calls the function in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: doonan_79
4 Replies

6. Solaris

running command in background

hi all i am running following command ufsdump 0ubf 512 /dev/rmt/0cbn /database/backup2/rman_backup/level1 >> /database/backup2/backup_tape/level1_rman_03aug12 2>&1; i want to run it in background how can i do it in this i am generating logs for backup. the problem occurs when i am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running command using SSH

Hi All, I am trying to run my script using ssh. Below is the code snippet #!/bin/bash ssh username@useipapd03 'bash -s' #To ensure If JMSdirectory exists or not if then echo "JMS mounts................exist'>>OutputResult.txt else echo "JMS mounts................not... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharsour
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running Local Script from SSH with SUDO

Hello, I know for SSH'ing and running a local script is... ssh -t user@servername < /path/to/localscript.sh and with SSH'ing and SUDO'ing is... ssh -t user@servername "sudo -u username ls -l /home/username" My inquiry is how can I combine both, by SSH'ing and SUDO'ing but running... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: WPGPoseidon
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running test command in ssh

I tried to run the following commands in my shell script. This command works fine for me: ssh -n "${username}"@"${hostname}" "grep WARNING ${serverhome}/${serverlog} | wc -l" The result is: 1548 However when i try to run a similar one: ssh -n "${username}"@"${hostname}" "test `grep -q... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hys1117
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Htop - How to detect exact command running at background

Hello, I am running a python file from terminal and I wish to see which code is running at background. When I use htop, I see just a few commands, unable to see entire command. htop > report nano report Output: ^ Following parts of ffmpeg line is not shown by htop. Just showing... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
7 Replies