Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Redhat versus Ubuntu Linux distribution Post 302955973 by gandolf989 on Thursday 24th of September 2015 09:43:07 AM
Old 09-24-2015
I'm not sure, but I thought that you had to pay for a Redhat license if you want to use Redhat. Perhaps that is only if you want to use it for commercial purposes. If you are, then you should probably look into that. There are two other versions of Linux that would work as well. Centos is essentially a free clone of Redhat. You don't get the same support that you would get if you had a Redhat license, but it is essentially the same. There is also Scientific Linux, which is sponsored for the Fermi National Accelerator Lab.

https://www.scientificlinux.org/

Scientific Linux does have some differences in libraries, but it should work the same. Generally Redhat and Redhat clones use YUM for maintaining packages. I have Ubuntu at home. I have Oracle 11.2.0.2 installed and running, as well as mySQL, and a test version of Request Tracker that I am testing. It works fine for what I need. It just has more user friendly packages along with things that you would need for databases or web servers.

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CTRL+H versus ^? versus BACKSPACE

Hi Gurus! I recently got my shell account (HP UX v11) created by our sysadmin and am having problem deleting with the backspace key. After doing some reading, I believe I need to enter a custom "STTY..." statement in my profile. Can someone please help me with the correct "STTY" sequence... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
3 Replies

2. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

sed on Mac OS versus Linux

I'm trying to replace space with inderscore on Mac OS X 10.6.3 sed -i 's/ /_/g' somefile sed: 1: "hsa_mirbase.fa": extra characters at the end of h command This works perfectly fine on Linux. Thank you Joseph Dhahbi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdhahbi
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vm versus physical linux server

Does anyone have a script that can be run to tell you if you are on either a VM Linux or a physical Linux server? (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigbenn
15 Replies
WHAT-PATCH(1)						      General Commands Manual						     WHAT-PATCH(1)

NAME
what-patch - detect which patch system a Debian package uses SYNOPSIS
what-patch [options] DESCRIPTION
what-patch examines the debian/rules file to determine which patch system the Debian package is using. what-patch should be run from the root directory of the Debian source package. OPTIONS
Listed below are the command line options for what-patch: -h, --help Display a help message and exit. -v Enable verbose mode. This will include the listing of any files modified outside or the debian/ directory and report any additional details about the patch system if available. AUTHORS
what-patch was written by Kees Cook <kees@ubuntu.com>, Siegfried-A. Gevatter <rainct@ubuntu.com>, and Daniel Hahler <ubuntu@thequod.de>, among others. This manual page was written by Jonathan Patrick Davies <jpds@ubuntu.com>. Both are released under the GNU General Public License, version 3 or later. SEE ALSO
The Ubuntu MOTU team has some documentation about patch systems at the Ubuntu wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/PatchSystems cdbs-edit-patch(1), dbs-edit-patch(1), dpatch-edit-patch(1) DEBIAN
Debian Utilities WHAT-PATCH(1)