Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Change the i-th character of the j-th line Post 302955895 by disedorgue on Wednesday 23rd of September 2015 09:06:15 AM
Old 09-23-2015
Hi, in bash:
Code:
$ ROW=3 && COL=15 && sed -e "$((ROW+1))s/./X/${COL}" file
#-----------------------------------
3                ! number of parameters of the polynome
0.00000e+00   0  ! fix=0) free=1
1.03916e-03   X  ! fix=0) free=1
3                ! number of parameters
2.16595e-05   0  ! fix=0) free=1

Regards
This User Gave Thanks to disedorgue For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change character case

i need to change character case inside a script file. How i can do that? any fucntion? thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaya
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vi single character change

I know this is strictly a programming forum - but I consider vi a programming enabler and the question relates to regex you'd use with awk/sed anyway.... I have a file which is 50,000+ lines long and need to change many many instances of word_word_word to be word+word+word where... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brett Taylor
6 Replies

3. Solaris

help me to change the character set

dears i am using solaris 10 i am facing a problem when i make setup for solaris i choose the country egypt and i select the language north america but i forget to do that the i found the date Jun written in arabic i want to change character set to written in english -rw-r--r-- 1 root ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hosney00ux
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reverse a change of character

Good morning, i have two chaines of characters to be reversed in shell script (red with blue). It was only one line. Can you help me to write a script in awk or sed? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: khalidou13
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change last Character

Hi, Someone can help me please, i have text in file like this: (a,b,c,d,e), (f,g,h,i,j), (k,l,m,n,o), and i want to change the last character to like this: (a,b,c,d,e), (f,g,h,i,j), (k,l,m,n,o); last array character "," i want change to ";" anyone can help me please,, thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryo
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

How to remove new line character and append new line character in a file?

Hi Experts, I have data coming in 4 columns and there are new line characters \n in between the data. I need to remove the new line characters in the middle of the row and keep the \n character at the end of the line. File is comma (,) seperated. Eg: ID,Client ,SNo,Rank 37,Airtel \n... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasikari
8 Replies

7. Solaris

Line too long error Replace string with new line line character

I get a file which has all its content in a single row. The file contains xml data containing 3000 records, but all in a single row, making it difficult for Unix to Process the file. I decided to insert a new line character at all occurrences of a particular string in this file (say replacing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ducati
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help removing last character of every line if certain character

I need help removing the last character of every line if it is a certain character. For example I need to get rid of a % character if it is in the last position. Input: aaa% %bbb ccc d%dd% Output should be: aaa %bbb ccc d%dd I tried this but it gets rid of all of the % characters.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raptor25
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: delete on each line before a character and after a character

Hi there, A total sed noob here. Is there a way using sed to delete everything before a character AND after another character on each line in a file? The deletion should also delete the indicating characters(here: an opening and a closing parenthesis). The original file would look like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bnbsd
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read character by character in line in which space is also included

Hi friend, I have one file , and i want to read that file character by character. I need this script in ksh. while using read option with -n1 am getting error. while read -n1 c read has bad option And if i am using below script, then if in a line has space like this ( Pallvi mahajan)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pallvi_mahajan
10 Replies
GENDIFF(1)						      General Commands Manual							GENDIFF(1)

NAME
gendiff - utility to aid in error-free diff file generation SYNOPSIS
gendiff <directory> <diff-extension> DESCRIPTION
gendiff is a rather simple script which aids in generating a diff file from a single directory. It takes a directory name and a "diff- extension" as its only arguments. The diff extension should be a unique sequence of characters added to the end of all original, unmodi- fied files. The output of the program is a diff file which may be applied with the patch program to recreate the changes. The usual sequence of events for creating a diff is to create two identical directories, make changes in one directory, and then use the diff utility to create a list of differences between the two. Using gendiff eliminates the need for the extra, original and unmodified directory copy. Instead, only the individual files that are modified need to be saved. Before editing a file, copy the file, appending the extension you have chosen to the filename. I.e. if you were going to edit somefile.cpp and have chosen the extension "fix", copy it to somefile.cpp.fix before editing it. Then edit the first copy (somefile.cpp). After editing all the files you need to edit in this fashion, enter the directory one level above where your source code resides, and then type $ gendiff somedirectory .fix > mydiff-fix.patch You should redirect the output to a file (as illustrated) unless you want to see the results on stdout. SEE ALSO
diff(1), patch(1) AUTHOR
Marc Ewing <marc@redhat.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution Mon Jan 10 2000 GENDIFF(1)