Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Change the i-th character of the j-th line Post 302955891 by RudiC on Wednesday 23rd of September 2015 08:19:03 AM
Old 09-23-2015
Try an adaption of anbu's code:
Code:
sed "4s/^\(.\{14\}\)1/\10/" file

Please note that anbu's regex patterns should be anchored to target exactly the one location intended.

Last edited by RudiC; 09-23-2015 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: typo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change character case

i need to change character case inside a script file. How i can do that? any fucntion? thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaya
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vi single character change

I know this is strictly a programming forum - but I consider vi a programming enabler and the question relates to regex you'd use with awk/sed anyway.... I have a file which is 50,000+ lines long and need to change many many instances of word_word_word to be word+word+word where... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brett Taylor
6 Replies

3. Solaris

help me to change the character set

dears i am using solaris 10 i am facing a problem when i make setup for solaris i choose the country egypt and i select the language north america but i forget to do that the i found the date Jun written in arabic i want to change character set to written in english -rw-r--r-- 1 root ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hosney00ux
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reverse a change of character

Good morning, i have two chaines of characters to be reversed in shell script (red with blue). It was only one line. Can you help me to write a script in awk or sed? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: khalidou13
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change last Character

Hi, Someone can help me please, i have text in file like this: (a,b,c,d,e), (f,g,h,i,j), (k,l,m,n,o), and i want to change the last character to like this: (a,b,c,d,e), (f,g,h,i,j), (k,l,m,n,o); last array character "," i want change to ";" anyone can help me please,, thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryo
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

How to remove new line character and append new line character in a file?

Hi Experts, I have data coming in 4 columns and there are new line characters \n in between the data. I need to remove the new line characters in the middle of the row and keep the \n character at the end of the line. File is comma (,) seperated. Eg: ID,Client ,SNo,Rank 37,Airtel \n... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasikari
8 Replies

7. Solaris

Line too long error Replace string with new line line character

I get a file which has all its content in a single row. The file contains xml data containing 3000 records, but all in a single row, making it difficult for Unix to Process the file. I decided to insert a new line character at all occurrences of a particular string in this file (say replacing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ducati
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help removing last character of every line if certain character

I need help removing the last character of every line if it is a certain character. For example I need to get rid of a % character if it is in the last position. Input: aaa% %bbb ccc d%dd% Output should be: aaa %bbb ccc d%dd I tried this but it gets rid of all of the % characters.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raptor25
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: delete on each line before a character and after a character

Hi there, A total sed noob here. Is there a way using sed to delete everything before a character AND after another character on each line in a file? The deletion should also delete the indicating characters(here: an opening and a closing parenthesis). The original file would look like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bnbsd
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read character by character in line in which space is also included

Hi friend, I have one file , and i want to read that file character by character. I need this script in ksh. while using read option with -n1 am getting error. while read -n1 c read has bad option And if i am using below script, then if in a line has space like this ( Pallvi mahajan)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pallvi_mahajan
10 Replies
FBB::lm(3bobcat)					      OFoldStream manipulator						  FBB::lm(3bobcat)

NAME
FBB::lm - Manipulator setting left margins of OFoldStream objects SYNOPSIS
#include <bobcat/ofoldstream> or #include <bobcat/ofoldstreambuf> Linking option: -lbobcat DESCRIPTION
The lm class implements a manipulator that can be inserted into OFoldStream objects to set the stream's left margin to a requested value. Depending on the tab-setting of the OFoldStream the inserted value represents the number of blank space characters or the number of tab-characters that will be used for the left margin. The request will be processed at the next newline character or std::flush or std::endl manipulator that is inserted into the stream. If a line is still once an lm object and a flush manipulator are inserted into the stream then the new left margin will be effective at the next word inserted into that line (cf., the example section below). A bad_cast exception is thrown when the manipulator is inserted into an ostream that is not using a OFoldStreambuf buffer. NAMESPACE
FBB All constructors, members, operators and manipulators, mentioned in this man-page, are defined in the namespace FBB. INHERITS FROM
- CONSTRUCTOR
o lm(size_t newValue): The standard copy constructor is available. MEMBER FUNCTIONS
There are no public or protected member functions in this class. EXAMPLE
#include <iostream> #include <bobcat/ofoldstream> using namespace std; using namespace FBB; int main() { OFoldStream out(cout, 0, 80); out << "hello world (left margin is 0)" << lm(4) << " " "this uses a 4 character wide left margin " << lm(0) << flush << "at column 0 again "; return 0; } FILES
bobcat/lm - defines the class interface SEE ALSO
bobcat(7), manipulators(3bobcat), mlm(3bobcat), ofoldstream(3bobcat) BUGS
None Reported. DISTRIBUTION FILES
o bobcat_3.01.00-x.dsc: detached signature; o bobcat_3.01.00-x.tar.gz: source archive; o bobcat_3.01.00-x_i386.changes: change log; o libbobcat1_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries; o libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries, headers and manual pages; o http://sourceforge.net/projects/bobcat: public archive location; BOBCAT
Bobcat is an acronym of `Brokken's Own Base Classes And Templates'. COPYRIGHT
This is free software, distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). AUTHOR
Frank B. Brokken (f.b.brokken@rug.nl). libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x.tar.gz 2005-2012 FBB::lm(3bobcat)