Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Mail subject splitted
Operating Systems AIX Mail subject splitted Post 302955371 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 16th of September 2015 08:07:19 PM
Old 09-16-2015
Instead of:
Code:
HOSTNAME=`which hostname`
MACHINE=`${HOSTNAME}`

Try:
Code:
HOSTNAME=$(hostname)
MACHINE=${HOSTNAME}

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 09-16-2015 at 09:13 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Send a mail with a subject and an attachement

Dear All: I want to send a message to a list of people with a subject and an attachement, currently I am using the following command into a shell script: uuencode $FILENAME.gz $FILENAME.gz | mail john.kennedy@mycompany.com m.m@mycompany.com With this command I can send the message for a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: josecollantes
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mail subject output of script

I am new to this site so please bear with my ignorances. I have started playing with mail on AIX 4.3.3 with many successes (thanks to this site) but am now stuck. I want to send a mail with the subject as the result of a script, eg. I want the mail body to read as the output from 'df -k... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiano
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to set Subject in 'mail' ?

Hi, I am trying to send some file to some mail ids using mail command in UNIX. Now the issue is I am not able to find how to add "Subject text" to the command. So I am using command like "mail abc@yahoo.com < file_name" Now if I use simple mail command I can set subject text by using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hkapil
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort mail based on subject in unix.

Hi, I have a complicated requirement.I need to search for a particular pattern in the subject of incoming mail to a set of users and need to save the content of the mail in a file which will be uploaded to a file server. I have a perl script to do the upload.I need a script to sort the mail... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriram.s
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

date need to be add in the subject of the mail.

Hi Am fetching a weekly report pf data..once i fetched the data i need a sent report by mail. In the subject of that mail i want to sent a message like.. SUBJECT :The report had been fetched from (01/12/08 to 07/12/08). I need to send a report like this every week with that particular... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobprabhu
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mail -s not showing subject on emails

Hi, I have a cron job that creates backups nightly and sends me an email with output from the script. I'm recieving the email and the output; however, the subject field is always empty. Here is what I have in my crontab 00 23 * * * sh /test_backup/test_script | mail -s "Backups"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: orahi001
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

mail: subject and body text

HI, After giving the mail -e name@domain.com its asking the subject : after this its enter in to the body of the mail i.e. (in edit mode) How to end this edit process to send mail ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding hostname and date in subject of the mail

Hi Team, I coded my code to send mail to some reciepents with subject and date. Can somebody suggest me how to add host name to subject ? and the below code is correct for date ? my aim is to send mail with "subject in < hostname> on <date>".When i execute this script on my server its hung... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocking77
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Subject line missing while sending mail

Hi, I have below script PROJECT_NAME=UDL/UDL_Weekly sub= echo ${PROJECT_NAME}|cut -d "/" -f2 cat pr.sh|mail -s "`hostname`: $sub failed" sonu.pal@xyz.com While running the script I am receiving the subject line in mail as " podetlsapp01: failed' instead of " podetlsapp01: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sonu_pal
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep the last line and put on mail subject

I have mail: cat /home/oracle/scripts/dbsizedaily.txt | mail -s "$TODAY: PROD DB Size" $RECIPIENTS I like to get and put USED_GB and %USED of the very last row from /home/oracle/scripts/dbsizedaily.txt. /home/oracle/scripts/dbsizedaily.txt has : DATE TIME TOTAL_GB USED_GB ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
6 Replies
HOSTNAME(7)					       BSD Miscellaneous Information Manual					       HOSTNAME(7)

NAME
hostname -- host name resolution description DESCRIPTION
Hostnames are domains, where a domain is a hierarchical, dot-separated list of subdomains; for example, the machine monet, in the Berkeley subdomain of the EDU subdomain of the Internet would be represented as monet.Berkeley.EDU (with no trailing dot). Hostnames are often used with network client and server programs, which must generally translate the name to an address for use. (This func- tion is generally performed by the library routine gethostbyname(3).) Hostnames are resolved by the Internet name resolver in the following fashion. If the name consists of a single component, i.e., contains no dot, and if the environment variable ``HOSTALIASES'' is set to the name of a file, that file is searched for any string matching the input hostname. The file should consist of lines made up of two white-space sepa- rated strings, the first of which is the hostname alias, and the second of which is the complete hostname to be substituted for that alias. If a case-insensitive match is found between the hostname to be resolved and the first field of a line in the file, the substituted name is looked up with no further processing. If the input name ends with a trailing dot, the trailing dot is removed, and the remaining name is looked up with no further processing. If the input name does not end with a trailing dot, it is looked up by searching through a list of domains until a match is found. The default search list includes first the local domain, then its parent domains with at least 2 name components (longest first). For example, in the domain CS.Berkeley.EDU, the name lithium.CChem will be checked first as lithium.CChem.CS.Berkeley.EDU and then as lithium.CChem.Berke- ley.EDU. Lithium.CChem.EDU will not be tried, as there is only one component remaining from the local domain. The search path can be changed from the default by a system-wide configuration file (see resolver(5)). SEE ALSO
gethostbyname(3), resolver(5), mailaddr(7) HISTORY
Hostname appeared in 4.2BSD. BSD
December 25, 2013 BSD