Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to enter special characters in a text file using vi? Post 302955259 by in2nix4life on Tuesday 15th of September 2015 08:15:18 PM
Old 09-15-2015
Make sure you're using vim, and not vi.

In the file, switch to INSERT mode. Hit CTRL-V and release. Should see a ^ symbol. Type in the numeric value for the character.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to see special characters in a file using vi

Hi, I have a file which has special characters. I can't see them when I "vi" the file. But I am sure there are some special un seen characters. How can I see them? Please help. Thx (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jingi1234
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove special characters from text using PERL

Hi, I am stuck with a problem here. Suppose i have a variable which is assigned some string containing special charatcers. for eg: $a="abcdef^bbwk#kdbcd@"; I have to remove the special characters using Perl. The text is assigned to the variable implicitly. How to do it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: agarwal
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed usage with special characters - text manipulation

I'm trying to use sed to replace string in text file but I've some problems with slash and new-line for example I have to replace this string: \> signal_rssi=" or this string where new-line is in the middle of the string: " /> I'm using this code for the first case but it doesn't... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheMrOrange
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove special characters from text file

Hi All, i am trying to remove all special charecters().,/\~!@#%^$*&^_- and others from a tab delimited file. I am using the following code. while read LINE do echo $LINE | tr -d '=;:`"<>,./?!@#$%^&(){}'|tr -d "-"|tr -d "'" | tr -d "_" done < trial.txt > output.txt Problem ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkb
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding text to file on certain lines with(special characters)

I need to add "new lines" of text with special characters, to specific lines in the file. There are 3 modifications needed. Been testing 2 here without success. #!/usr/bin/perl use FileHandle; $file=FileHandle->new; $FILENAME="/opt/etc/usr/file.txt"; $file->open ("<$FILENAME") or die... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: A4ron4perl
13 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find text enclosed between special characters

Hi, I'm trying to find all DISTINCT words having _mr in the line and ENCLOSED in '/'. For eg below is the text in a file.. /database/new_mr254/1 /database/rawdb/views/new_mr254/1 /database/project/rawdb/tables/new_mr232/1 /database/project/rawdb/views/new_mr253/1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: northwest
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File containing special characters

Hello All, I am facing challenges in order to transfer a file from windows to unix box,the file contains a special character '×' ,now when I am transferring the file from windows to unix that special character converted to something else like 'Ã' ,another thing I have noticed that the hardware is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prarat
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Special Characters Within Text

Hi, I have a "|" delimited file that is exported from a database. There is one column in the file which has description/comments entered by some application user. It has "Control-M" character and "New Line" character in between the text. Hence, when i export the data, this record with the new... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tarun.trehan
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search special characters in a file and replace with meaningful text messages like Hello

Search special characters in a file and replace with meaningful text messages like Hello (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raka_rjit
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Rename File Name with Special Characters

I am trying to rename files with spaces and other characters and not able to be successful. FileNames: UPLOAD REFERENCE.xls UPLOAD MASS REFERENCE.XLS find /UPLOAD REFERENCE/ -depth -type f -name "* *" -exec rename " " "_" "{}" ";" The above one is successful to replace spaces... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eskay
1 Replies
EVIM(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   EVIM(1)

NAME
evim - easy Vim, edit a file with Vim and setup for modeless editing SYNOPSIS
evim [options] [file ..] eview DESCRIPTION
eVim starts Vim and sets options to make it behave like a modeless editor. This is still Vim but used as a point-and-click editor. This feels a lot like using Notepad on MS-Windows. eVim will always run in the GUI, to enable the use of menus and toolbar. Only to be used for people who really can't work with Vim in the normal way. Editing will be much less efficient. eview is the same, but starts in read-only mode. It works just like evim -R. See vim(1) for details about Vim, options, etc. The 'insertmode' option is set to be able to type text directly. Mappings are setup to make Copy and Paste work with the MS-Windows keys. CTRL-X cuts text, CTRL-C copies text and CTRL-V pastes text. Use CTRL-Q to obtain the original meaning of CTRL-V. OPTIONS
See vim(1). FILES
/usr/local/lib/vim/evim.vim The script loaded to initialize eVim. AKA
Also Known As "Vim for gumbies". When using evim you are expected to take a handkerchief, make a knot in each corner and wear it on your head. SEE ALSO
vim(1) AUTHOR
Most of Vim was made by Bram Moolenaar, with a lot of help from others. See the Help/Credits menu. 2002 February 16 EVIM(1)