Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Extracting data between continuous non empty xml tags Post 302955251 by zen01234 on Tuesday 15th of September 2015 06:08:39 PM
Old 09-15-2015
Thank you Don Cragon for your code but unfortunately it doesn't worked.. My file is a huge file and it has same fields repeating over and over with different tag headings as shown below.

Code:
<store><number>1234</number></store>
<phone><number>1234567890</number><type>primary</type></phone>
<address><street>abc</street><appt><number>11</number></address>

I tried your command

1st command
Code:
sed -n '/phone/{s/.*<number>\(.*\)<\/number>.*/\1/;p;}' file1 > file5

Command is searching for the first occurrence of number tag instead of searching number tag after phone tag

2nd command also searching for the first occurrence of number tag instead of searching number tag after phone tag.

awk -F '<number>|</number>' '/phone/{print $2}' file1 > file7

I got the output from both commands as 1234 instead of 1234567890
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use CODE tags (not ICODE tags) when showing full line and especially when showing multi-line output.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 09-15-2015 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: Fix tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting Data from xml file

Hi ppl out there... Can anyone help me with the shell script to extract data from an xml file. My xml file looks like : - <servlet> <servlet-name>FrontServlet</servlet-name> <display-name>FrontServlet</display-name> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nishana
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get data from xml files tags(from data tags)

i have a file like <fruits> <apple>redcolor<\apple> <bana:rolleyes:na>yellow color and it is<\banana> </fruits> i need a text between apple and bannana ans so on.... how to read a text between a tags it multiple tags with differnt names (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pvr_satya
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to update data between xml tags

Is there a way to modify Non Null data between <host> and </host> tags to a new value ?- may be using sed/awk? I tried this sed 's|.*<host>\(?*\)</host>.*|\<host>xxx</host>|' but it is updating the host which has null value - want opposite of this - Thanks in advance for you help!! For... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harry_todd
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting data between tags based on search string from unix file

Input file is on Linux box and the input file has data in just one line with 1699741696 characters. Sample Input: <xxx><document coll="uspatfull" version="0"><CMSdoc>xxxantivirus</CMSdoc><tag1>1</tag1></document><document coll="uspatfull"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaya
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting data from an xml file

Hello, Please can someone assist. I have the following xml file: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> - <PUTTRIGGER xmlns:xsd="http://www.test.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.test.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" APPLICATIONNUMBER="0501160" ACCOUNTNAME="Mrs S Test"... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dolph
15 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in extracting data from xml file

Hello, This is my first post in here, so excuse me if I sound too noob here! I need to extract the path "/apps/mp/installedApps/V61/HRO/hrms_01698_A_qa.ear" from the below xml extract. The path will always appear with the key "binariesURL" <deployedObject... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhishek2386
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting Data between Tags with square Brackets

Hello @all, first, sorry for my bad english language. I try to extract with bash an text inside of a html page witch is finding between two tags. There is only one Tag in this file. Here is an example: Wert... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hennerich
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Data between XML Tags

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?> <TABLE> <TEST> <ID> 123 </ID> <name> abc </name> </TEST> <TEST> <ID> 123 </ID> <name> abc2 </name> </TEST> </TABLE> <TABLE> <TEST> <ID> 456 </ID> <name> def </name> </TEST> <TEST> ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: eskay
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

print xml data without the tags.

Hi All, I'm trying to extract data from an xml file but without the codes. I've achieved it but i was wondering if there's a better way to do this. sample data: $ cat xmlfile <code> <to>tove</to> <from>jani</from> <heading>reminder</heading> <body>dont forget me</body> </code> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Irishboy24
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help in extracting data from XML File

Hi All My input file is an XML and it has some tags and data rows at end. Starting of data rows is <rs:data> and ending of data rows is </rs:data>. Within sample data rows (2 rows) shown below, I want to extract data value after equal to sign (until space or "/" sign). So if XML data... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vx04
7 Replies
DOCBOOK2GJOTS(1)					      General Commands Manual						  DOCBOOK2GJOTS(1)

NAME
docbook2gjots - Convert a DOCBOOK file to gjots format (on stdout) SYNOPSIS
docbook2gjots [ DOCBOOK-file ] DESCRIPTION
docbook2gjots converts a DOCBOOK XML file into gjots format. docbook2gjots uses gawk(1) to perform the conversion. <preface>, <chapter>, <section>, <sect1>, <sect2>, <sect3> and <sect4> tags are used to define NewEntry and NewFolder boundaries. They should definitely have <title> tags. This is a quick and dirty hack using gawk(1) and does no formal checking of XML or SGML syntax nor does it validate against the DOCBOOK DTD. Consequently, if the syntax of the file is broken the conversion will probably fail. It is intended that a round-trip can be made so that gjots(1) can be used as a tool at all stages of DOCBOOK production - mainly as an out- line processor to help the author organise and order the work. A document may well start its life in gjots(1) as the initial thoughts are marshalled. As the document forms up, it can be converted to DOCBOOK with the following command which automatically adds tags such as <?xml...>, <para> etc: gjots2docbook -b file.gjots >file.xml docbook2pdf file.xml Or, starting with an existing DOCBOOK file: docbook2gjots file.xml >file.gjots In the latter case, the document will already have a lot of DOCBOOK tags so to convert back to docbook, add the -e and -p options: gjots2docbook -b -p -e file.gjots >file.xml docbook2pdf file.xml AUTHOR
Written by Bob Hepple <bhepple@freeshell.org> http://bhepple.freeshell.org/gjots COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2002 Robert Hepple This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PAR- TICULAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
gjots(1), gjots2html(1), gjots2docbook(1) DOCBOOK2GJOTS(1)