Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk : Need Help in Understanding a command Post 302955164 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 15th of September 2015 04:26:38 AM
Old 09-15-2015
Assuming that the string passed in as the first positional parameter forms a valid arithmetic or logical expression, the float_test shell function returns exit status 0 if the expression evaluates to a non-zero value and returns exit status 1 if the expression evaluates to zero.

It could be written without the echo (and without redirection) if it used a BEGIN clause instead of an END clause:
Code:
float_test ( ) {
	awk 'BEGIN{exit(!('"$1"'))}'
}

If you're using a 1993 or later version of the Korn shell as your shell, you could evaluate similar expressions just using shell built-ins:
Code:
float_test ( ) {
	return $((!($1)))
}

But note that awk performs floating point arithmetic by default while ksh performs integer arithmetic by default. So, where float_test "1/3" using awk gives exit code 0 because 1/3 evaluates to 0.3333...; but when using ksh93 gives exit code 1 because 1/3 evaluates to 0. To reverse the behaviors, int(1/3) evaluates to 0 and exits with code 1 with awk and 1./3 evaluates to 0.3333... and exits with code 0 with ksh93.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding Awk and Cat

Hi Guys, I was recently come across some code to hopefully learn a little bit about putting Shell commands into PHP application to run on a Linux server. However, I don't understand the command AT ALL... and was wondering if anyone can interpret it: cat userIDs.dat | awk '{s=s+1; if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jordRiot
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

understanding mv command

hi i was moving a file from one directory to another with the following cmmand mv /home/hsghh/dfd/parent/file.txt . while doing so i i accidently mv /home/hsghh/dfd/dfd . although i gave ctrl c and terminate the move command some of the file are missing in the parent directory and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saravanan71184
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

understanding awk in this script

i am analyzing a query written by another developer ,need to understand part of script am looking at a code ..and it converts comma files to pipe delimited and also takes away quotes from any columns, source field format: 2510,"Debbie",NewYork changes to target: 2510|Debbie|NewYork ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coolrock
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Understanding 'du' command

Hi I have a questions related 2 commands : 'du' and 'ls'. Why is the difference between output of 'du' and 'ls' cmd's ? Command 'du' : ------------------ jakubn@server1 /home/jakubn $ du -s * 4 engine.ksh 1331 scripts 'du -s *' ---> shows block count size on disk (512 Bytes... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding / Modifying AWK command

Hey all, So I have an AWK command here awk '{if(FNR==NR) {arr++;next} if($0 in arr) { arr--; if (arr == 0) delete arr;next}{print $0 >"list2output.csv"}} END {for(i in arr){print i >"list1output.csv"}}' list1 list2 (refer to image for a more readable format) This code was submitted... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aussiemick
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

understanding sed command

Hi Friends, I need a small help in understanding the below sed command. $ cat t4.txt 1 root 1 58 0 888K 368K sleep 4:06 0.00% init 1 root 1 58 0 888K 368K sleep 4:06 0.00% init last $ sed 's/*$//' t4.txt 1 root 1 58 0 888K ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: forroughuse
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in understanding awk expression

Hi, Could somebody help me in understanding the following awk expression: awk -v n="POINT" '/%/{print $0 "\n" n ;next}1' < file name Thanks, Arun (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun_maffy
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in Understanding awk if ( F ) syntax -

Hi Experts, I was looking at the below link, for finding words next to it, And unable to understand this syntax: Can any one please explain , what is meaning of this code: if ( F ) s = s ? s OFS $i : $i from:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding awk

I found this on an awk site and would like to know what it does: /CARS/{x="";next} {if(x)print x;x=$0} END{if(x)print x}' Does it mean if it finds the word cars it skips that line and then prints the next one? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding awk 'expansion'

Heyas Recently i wanted to help someone with an awk script, but the end-script didnt work as expected. He wanted, if HOME was empty, to get the HOME of the current USER from /etc/passwd. At first i tried hardcoded with root: awk -F: '/^root/ {print $6}' /etc/passwd As that worked, i've... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
4 Replies