Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Printf padded string
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Printf padded string Post 302955096 by Don Cragun on Monday 14th of September 2015 03:09:28 PM
Old 09-14-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifangt
Thanks Corona688! This what I tried by combining Don's reply.
Code:
awk '
NUMBER=substr($0, match($0, /[[:digit:]]*$/))
PREFIX=substr($0, 1, RSTART - 1)
LEN=8
PRELEN="${#PREFIX}"
DIGITS=$((LEN - PRELEN))
{printf "%s%0${DIGITS}d\n", $PREFIX, $NUMBER} ' < test.file

but did not work. What did I miss?
Following your attempt a little closer than the way Corona688 did it...

This is an awk script, not a shell script; so $ before a variable name references the field named by contents of the variable instead of the contents of the variable AND awk variables are not expanded in quoted strings AND ${#var} and $((expr)) are shell expressions that are not valid awk expressions.

If what you are trying to do is produce 8 character output strings (assuming the length of the input string is never more than 8 characters) with varying length alphabetic and numeric parts in the input, try:
Code:
awk -v LEN=8 '
{	NUMBER = substr($0, match($0, /[[:digit:]]*$/))
	PREFIX = substr($0, 1, PRELEN = (RSTART - 1))
	DIGITS = LEN - PRELEN
	printf "%s%0*d\n", PREFIX, DIGITS, NUMBER
}' test.file

Assuming test.file contains:
Code:
S1
S2  
S12  
S21  
sk1  
sk12  
sk321  
sk1344

as shown in post #18 in this thread, it produces the output:
Code:
S0000001
S2  0000
S12  000
S21  000
sk1  000
sk12  00
sk321  0
sk001344

Remember the input file format I specified in post #10 in this thread. Your sample input file has trailing spaces (violating item #2: Each input string is an alphanumeric string ending in one or more decimal digits.)

If we remove all of the trailing spaces from file.test or change all occurrences of $0 in the above script to $1 (so we just look at the first field instead of the entire line), the output produced is:
Code:
S0000001
S0000002
S0000012
S0000021
sk000001
sk000012
sk000321
sk001344

which I assume is closer to what you were trying to do.

As a learning exercise, can you explain why the awk script Corona688 suggested didn't have a problem with trailing spaces while my script above does have a problem with trailing spaces?

And, no, I'm not a lawyer. But I did like the Perry Mason, Matlock, and Boston Legal TV series. Smilie And, in my last job, my boss referred to me as his standards lawyer because he could get me to answer any questions about why we were failing POSIX/UNIX standards conformance tests and directions on how to fix our code (when we had a bug) or how to file a bug report against the test suite (when there was a bug in the test suite or it was assuming behavior above and beyond what the standards require). Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

find: problems escaping printf-command string

Hi Folks! Can you help me with this find -printf command. I seem to be unable to execute the printf-command from my shell script. I'm confused: :confused: My shell script snippet looks like this: #!/bin/sh .. COMMAND="find ./* -printf '%p %m %s %u %g \n'" echo "Command: ${COMMAND}"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: grahamb
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk printf formatting using string format specifier.

Hi all, My simple AWK code does C = A - B If C can be a negative number, how awk printf formating handles it using string format specifier. Thanks in advance Kanu :confused: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanu_pathak
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

printf with Character String

I am trying to use printf with a character string that is used within a do loop. The problem is that while in the loop, the printf prints the variable name instead of the value. The do loop calls the variable name from a text file (called device.txt): while read device do cat $device.clean... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dleblanc67
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help formatting a string. Something like printf?

Hi I'm having a problem with converting a file: ID X 1 7 1 8 1 3 2 5 2 7 2 2 To something like this: ID X1 X2 X3 1 7 8 3 2 5 7 2 I've tried the following loop: for i in `cat tst.csv| awk -F "," '{print $1}'| uniq`;do grep -h $i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: flotsam
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explanation for printf string in awk

hi all can any one help me to understand this bdf -t vfxs | awk '/\//{printf("%-30s%-10s%-10s%-10s%-5s%-10s\n",$1,$2,$3,$4,$5,$6)}' i want to understand the numbers %-30S% (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxim42
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

String formatting using awk printf

Hi Friends, I am trying to insert lines of the below format in a file: # x3a4914 Joe 2010/04/07 # seh Lane 2010/04/07 # IN01379 Larry 2010/04/07 I am formatting the strings as follows using awk printf: awk 'printf "# %s %9s %18s\n", $2,$3,$4}' ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sugan
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print a string using printf?

I want to print a string say "str1 str2 str3 str4" using printf. If I try printing it using printf it is printing as follows. output ------- str1 str2 str3 str4 btw I'm working in AIX. This is my first post in this forum :) regards, rakesh (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: enigmatrix
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printf question: getting padded zero in decimal plus floating point together.

Hi Experts, Quick question: I am trying to get the output with decimal and floating point but not working: echo "20.03" | awk '{printf "%03d.2f\n" , $0 }' 020.2f How to get the output as : 020.03 Thank you. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to match string within awk printf

Hi All I am working to process txt file into csv commo separated. Input.txt 1,2,asdf,34sdsd,120,haahha2 2,2,wewedf,45sdsd,130,haahha ..... .... Errorcode.txt 120 130 140 myawk.awk code: { BEGIN{ HEADER="f1,f2,f3,f4,f5,f6" (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krsnadasa
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printf or any other method to put long string of spec characters - passing passwords

Hello, I am looking for a method to use in my bash script which allows me to use long strings with all special characters. I have found that printf method could be helpful for me but unfortunately, when I trying root@machine:~# tevar=`printf "%s%c"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elxa1
2 Replies