Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Printf padded string
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Printf padded string Post 302954866 by Yoda on Friday 11th of September 2015 04:27:35 PM
Old 09-11-2015
Here is an awk approach that might work:-
Code:
awk '
        NR == FNR {
                m = ( m < length ? length : m )
                next
        }
        {
                match( $0, /[0-9]/ )
                format = "%s%0" ( m - RSTART ) + 1 "d\n"
                printf format, substr($0, 1, RSTART-1 ), substr( $0, RSTART )
        }
' file file

These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Yoda For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

find: problems escaping printf-command string

Hi Folks! Can you help me with this find -printf command. I seem to be unable to execute the printf-command from my shell script. I'm confused: :confused: My shell script snippet looks like this: #!/bin/sh .. COMMAND="find ./* -printf '%p %m %s %u %g \n'" echo "Command: ${COMMAND}"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: grahamb
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk printf formatting using string format specifier.

Hi all, My simple AWK code does C = A - B If C can be a negative number, how awk printf formating handles it using string format specifier. Thanks in advance Kanu :confused: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanu_pathak
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

printf with Character String

I am trying to use printf with a character string that is used within a do loop. The problem is that while in the loop, the printf prints the variable name instead of the value. The do loop calls the variable name from a text file (called device.txt): while read device do cat $device.clean... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dleblanc67
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help formatting a string. Something like printf?

Hi I'm having a problem with converting a file: ID X 1 7 1 8 1 3 2 5 2 7 2 2 To something like this: ID X1 X2 X3 1 7 8 3 2 5 7 2 I've tried the following loop: for i in `cat tst.csv| awk -F "," '{print $1}'| uniq`;do grep -h $i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: flotsam
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explanation for printf string in awk

hi all can any one help me to understand this bdf -t vfxs | awk '/\//{printf("%-30s%-10s%-10s%-10s%-5s%-10s\n",$1,$2,$3,$4,$5,$6)}' i want to understand the numbers %-30S% (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxim42
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

String formatting using awk printf

Hi Friends, I am trying to insert lines of the below format in a file: # x3a4914 Joe 2010/04/07 # seh Lane 2010/04/07 # IN01379 Larry 2010/04/07 I am formatting the strings as follows using awk printf: awk 'printf "# %s %9s %18s\n", $2,$3,$4}' ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sugan
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print a string using printf?

I want to print a string say "str1 str2 str3 str4" using printf. If I try printing it using printf it is printing as follows. output ------- str1 str2 str3 str4 btw I'm working in AIX. This is my first post in this forum :) regards, rakesh (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: enigmatrix
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printf question: getting padded zero in decimal plus floating point together.

Hi Experts, Quick question: I am trying to get the output with decimal and floating point but not working: echo "20.03" | awk '{printf "%03d.2f\n" , $0 }' 020.2f How to get the output as : 020.03 Thank you. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to match string within awk printf

Hi All I am working to process txt file into csv commo separated. Input.txt 1,2,asdf,34sdsd,120,haahha2 2,2,wewedf,45sdsd,130,haahha ..... .... Errorcode.txt 120 130 140 myawk.awk code: { BEGIN{ HEADER="f1,f2,f3,f4,f5,f6" (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krsnadasa
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printf or any other method to put long string of spec characters - passing passwords

Hello, I am looking for a method to use in my bash script which allows me to use long strings with all special characters. I have found that printf method could be helpful for me but unfortunately, when I trying root@machine:~# tevar=`printf "%s%c"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elxa1
2 Replies
RSTART(1)						      General Commands Manual							 RSTART(1)

NAME
rstart - a sample implementation of a Remote Start client SYNOPSIS
rstart [-c context] [-g] [-l username] [-v] hostname command args ... DESCRIPTION
Rstart is a simple implementation of a Remote Start client as defined in "A Flexible Remote Execution Protocol Based on rsh". It uses rsh as its underlying remote execution mechanism. OPTIONS
-c context This option specifies the context in which the command is to be run. A context specifies a general environment the program is to be run in. The details of this environment are host-specific; the intent is that the client need not know how the environment must be configured. If omitted, the context defaults to X. This should be suitable for running X programs from the host's "usual" X installation. -g Interprets command as a generic command, as discussed in the protocol document. This is intended to allow common applications to be invoked without knowing what they are called on the remote system. Currently, the only generic commands defined are Terminal, LoadMonitor, ListContexts, and ListGenericCommands. -l username This option is passed to the underlying rsh; it requests that the command be run as the specified user. -v This option requests that rstart be verbose in its operation. Without this option, rstart discards output from the remote's rstart helper, and directs the rstart helper to detach the program from the rsh connection used to start it. With this option, responses from the helper are displayed and the resulting program is not detached from the connection. NOTES
This is a trivial implementation. Far more sophisticated implementations are possible and should be developed. Error handling is nonexistent. Without -v, error reports from the remote are discarded silently. With -v, error reports are displayed. The $DISPLAY environment variable is passed. If it starts with a colon, the local hostname is prepended. The local domain name should be appended to unqualified host names, but isn't. The $SESSION_MANAGER environment variable should be passed, but isn't. X11 authority information is passed for the current display. ICE authority information should be passed, but isn't. It isn't completely clear how rstart should select what ICE authority information to pass. Even without -v, the sample rstart helper will leave a shell waiting for the program to complete. This causes no real harm and consumes relatively few resources, but if it is undesirable it can be avoided by explicitly specifying the "exec" command to the shell, eg rstart somehost exec xterm This is obviously dependent on the command interpreter being used on the remote system; the example given will work for the Bourne and C shells. SEE ALSO
rstartd(1), rsh(1), A Flexible Remote Execution Protocol Based on rsh AUTHOR
Jordan Brown, Quarterdeck Office Systems X Version 11 rstart 1.0.4 RSTART(1)