Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Comparing lines within a word list Post 302954680 by RudiC on Thursday 10th of September 2015 06:23:41 AM
Old 09-10-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakunin
In fact, after running grep "A.E" the job would be done.
Yes - for that char combination/permutation. Doing so for the entire alphabet would require to run grep repeatedly, creating a new, different results file every time. An awk script might run once, but would have to open/reopen results files frequently, so the gain might be eaten up.
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing a distinct value in 1 list with another list

Hi all, I need to compare the contents of 2 directories where the file contents are similar and take out the filenames whose contents does not exist within the 2 directories. Directory1 1 2 3 4 Directory2 54 55 56 57 Does anyone has a script which can do this? At the end of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manualvin
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing lines from 2 files

Hi Friends, I have 2 files A and B . I want to compare the 3rd line of file A and B . (I dont want to compare the 2 files, using diff or cmp). I just want to know whether 3rd line of A matches the 3 rd line of B. Can anybody share their knowledge on the same? Thanks , Vijaya (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaya2006
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Word count of lines ending with certain word

Hi all, I am trying to write a command that can help me count the number of lines in the /etc/passwd file ending in bash. I have read through other threads but am yet to find one indicating how to locate a specifc word at the end of a line. I know i will need to use the wc command but when i... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: warlock129
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing lines in file

i have 2 files and i want to compare i currently cat the files and awk print $1, $2 and doing if file1=file2 then fail, else exit 0 what i want to do is compare values, with column 1 being a reference i want to compare line by line and then still be able to do if then statement to see if worked... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sigh2010
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing lines of two different files

Hello, Please help me with this problem if you have a solution. I have two files: <file1> : In each line, first word is an Id and then other words that belong to this Id piMN-1 abc pqr xyz py12 niLM y12 FY4 pqs fiRLym F12 kite red <file2> : same as file1, but can have extra lds... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mira
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search the word to be deleted and delete lines above this word starting from P1 to P3

Hi, I have to search a word in a text file and then I have to delete lines above from the word searched . For eg suppose the file is like this: Records P1 10,23423432 ,77:1 ,234:2 P2 10,9089004 ,77:1 ,234:2 ,87:123 ,9898:2 P3 456456 P1 :123,456456546 P2 abc:324234 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsachan
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing lines of data

Total UNIX Rookie, but I'm learning. I have columns of integer data separated by spaces, and I'm using a Mac terminal. What I want to do: 1. Compare "line 1 column 2" (x) to "line 2 column 2" (y); is y-x>=100? 2. If yes, display difference and y's line number 3. If no, increment x and y by... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: markymarkg123
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete lines with a word and their above lines

Hi, i have a file like this: A1 kdfjdljfdkljfdlf A2 lfjdlfkjddkjf A3 ***no hit*** A4 ldjfldjfdk A5 ***no hit*** A6 jldfjdlfjdlkfjd I want to remove the lines "***no hit*** and their above line to get an output file like this: (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_simpsons
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script @ Find a key word and If the key word matches then replace next 7 lines only

Hi All, I have a XML file which is looks like as below. <<please see the attachment >> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <esites> <esite> <name>XXX.com</name> <storeId>10001</storeId> <module> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajeev_hbk
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing alternate lines of code

Hi gents, Have only a passing familiarity with linux/shell at this point, so please forgive simple question. I have text files that have lines something like the following: a b c d d d e f e f e f a b (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cabled
6 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, g - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] g [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(7) with the addition of a newline character as an alternative (substitute for |) with lowest precedence. Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -e The following argument is taken as a pattern. This option makes it easy to specify patterns that might confuse argument parsing, such as -n. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. -f The pattern argument is the name of a file containing regular expressions one per line. -b Don't buffer the output: write each output line as soon as it is discovered. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. An expression starting with '*' will treat the rest of the expression as literal characters. G invokes grep with -n and forces tagging of output lines by file name. If no files are listed, it searches all files matching *.C *.b *.c *.h *.m *.cc *.java *.cgi *.pl *.py *.tex *.ms SOURCE
/src/cmd/grep /bin/g SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(7) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)